Replace muffler - Luxury Coach Lifestyles
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-19-2013, 01:53 PM   #1
cdat

Default Replace muffler

I have the 91 coach at the Cat dealer to get some initial services done. They found a hole in the muffler, I decided as long as they had the coach to go ahead and replace it. Now, they are telling me that because the entire exhaust system is welded together that this is going to be a major project.
1. I've replaced mufflers in the past that were welded, we simply cut the old one off, then had a new one welded in place, is there a reason this is more difficult on the Newell?
2. Is there anything special about replacing a muffler on a 91 Newel that I'm unaware of?
3. Anybody aware of the cost of a muffler for a Newell?

Thanks for any advice.
John

cdat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 02:15 PM   #2
MrE

I would make some phone calls before I authorized any muffler repairs. The first call would be to Newell, and I'm assuming that they will confirm your suspicion that you can cut the old one off and weld a new one on. If that is the case I would get on the phone with shops that specialize in truck/bus mufflers and get a quote. Sounds like the Cat shop is running out of work and hoping you'll help them out.

1986 40' Dog House #86
0 hp 8V92 Allison HT740
Soon to be 500hp ISM with ZF 6 Speed
MrE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 02:24 PM   #3
mnhoff

Hi John, I had mine repaired about 6 months ago. The tail piece had let go on it. The tire shop removed the muffler and what was left of the tail piece, welded a new plate on the discharge then welded tail piece back in place. $500.00 later seems to be working fine. Checked back in my E mails but could not find it but from what I recall Newell gave me a price of $1200.00 from what I remember. Also for a 8V92.
1995 Newell Coach #372
mnhoff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 02:36 PM   #4
mnhoff

Double check with whoever does your work as mine was held into place with two large clamps and the 6 inch from the Detroit was also a clamp. They had the entire muffler out and on there work bench in about 15 minutes.
1995 Newell Coach #372
mnhoff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 02:37 PM   #5
MrE

John, I have a call into Boise Muffler (376-8541) and talked to Shawn. They would repair yours like mnhoff's, cut the old muffler off and weld a new one on. He's looking through his books to find what is needed for a 8V92 and will call back.
1986 40' Dog House #86
0 hp 8V92 Allison HT740
Soon to be 500hp ISM with ZF 6 Speed
MrE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 02:56 PM   #6
GORDON HUMMEL

I purchased a Donaldson M120131 from Filter Products - equipment parts - Donaldson, Baldwin, Des-Case, Wilson, Ingersoll Rand - alternators, air & electrical starters, bag, engine & hydraulic filters, bearings.
I paid $181.68, but now I see it is down to $174.83.
Mine wasn't welded!
1991 41.5' #266
8v92
2009 Pontiac Vibe GT Toad
Fulltime on the road
GORDON HUMMEL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 04:10 PM   #7
cdat

Appreciate all the help and advice, after going down and talking to them the service mgr told me the guy I talked too was mistaken, that it's no different whether it was welded on or clamped. He said he used to prefer the welded on ones, said it was easier then dealing with rusted bolts and nuts. Ended up dropping the price by $100, so alls well that ends well.
Jon, I had also called Boise muffler this am to get some initial info, I had planned on taking the coach to them if the Cat dealer tried to tell me how hard it was going to be.
Thanks again.
Old 03-19-2013, 04:51 PM   #8
JustDustin

John glad to hear all is well and the replacement has been done.
JustDustin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 05:04 PM   #9
Neweller

So John, is the CAT dealer in Boise treating you good? We always like to know who does us right and who does us wrong.
If you want to sell, PM or Private Message me. Thanks!

"I know I’m not perfect, and I don't live to be. But before you start pointing fingers, make sure your hands are clean."
-Bob Marley
Neweller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 06:11 PM   #10
cdat

Ken, they seem to be honest with their estimates and repairs. They have showed me everything they have recommended be repaired and discussed different options.