generator will not crank 1983 newell - Luxury Coach Lifestyles
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-06-2008, 12:46 AM   #1
champcar50

Default generator will not crank 1983 newell

About three weeks ago we used our newell and all was good with the generator. I shut it down when we arrived home checked all fluids and all was well. This past weekend we were all packed for a trip started the bus and flipped the switch to start the generator and nothing. so no trip. I used a test light and verified 12 volts at the main post on the starter solonoid but no voltage to the start terminal. When I shorted between the start terminal on the solonoid and the main battery wire on the solonoid the generator cranked and only ran while cranking. I see no fuses on my fuse schematic for the generator so I kept looking. Above the fuse panel is a circuit breaker with five wires when I flipped it on to reset, the generator started and ran. this circuit breaker tripped again and I believe I need to replace it. It is an AIRPAX part #APGN1-1REC2-6153-1. on thier website it says a 30 day wait while they make one. Does any one have any idea why this thing has five wires on separate terminals on it. Exacty what is its purpose. Any ideas where I might find one or is there some way to substitute another circuit breaker for it
Our newell is a 1983 with the 12.5 kohler genset. I have no idea where the control box I have read about on here is located. A wiring schmeatic would sure be nice. Any help / suggestions appreciated.
Thanks
Jack Ball

champcar50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2008, 01:06 AM   #2
encantotom

hi jack,

michael and i are sitting here stewing about your problem. we would need a little more information. like where is the breaker you are talking about and could you take a picture of it. it sure seems like there would be a suitable substitute that wouldnt take an expensive manufacture job to make one.

as you know the breakers only trip for 3 reasons....an overload, a short or a weak or bad breaker. so it has to be one of those.

not sure what control box you are talking about. our 12.5 genny (michaels and mine) has the control box mounted on the gen set itself. there is no other one.

later

tom

https://www.newellclassic.com/forum/album.php?albumid=8
encantotom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2008, 02:00 AM   #3
encantotom

hi jack,

we are looking at our kohler manuals and here is something to try.

there is a breaker box that has the two breakers in it. it also has a round fuseholder recepticle. it has an 8amp fuse in it.

on top of the generator at the back is a control box. it is rectangular on ours and about 3 inches by a foot and 8 inches deep or so. it has the toggle switches to do remote preheat and start.

it has a round fuse holder that holds a 10 amp fuse.

here is what our manuals both say (his is a 92 and mine is a 90).

"if the 8 amp fuse (in the end breaker box) is blown, the engine will crank but not start. if the 10 amp fuse (on the controller box) is blown, the engine will not crank. if either fuse blows while the generator is running, the set will stop."

by basically jumping it by doing what are, it will bypass the control circuitry.

check those fuses....

tom

Old 08-07-2008, 03:55 PM   #4
champcar50

Default more info

I have determined the problem is in a circuit breaker located in front of the pass seat above the fuse panel. This breaker has five wires a load and a line at each end and three other connections in between. Can any one tell me what the purpose of this breaker is? Where do the wires from it go? I have ordered an new one from the manufacture but it would sure be nice to understand its purpose. I talked with newell and the guy there said kohler supplied the breaker with the genset. I tried kohler but they have no tech support in house. any info appreciated.
Thanks
Jack
champcar50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2008, 05:58 PM   #5
encantotom

well, we are beyond what i can help with. maybe clarke can help since he has a 82. unless there were pictures or more information, it is not enought the same as mine to be able to comment any more.

later

tom

Old 08-07-2008, 06:03 PM   #6
chockwald

Hi Jack....wow, have no idea about your question right now. My fuse panel is under the dash on the passenger side, too, so I'll take a look when I go by the storage yard later today to see if I have a similar setup to what you are describing. I, too, have a Kohler genset, but it is LP. Is your LP also? Where you the one who sent me a personal e-mail asking for a copy of the notes given me by the former owner? If so, there is a section in there dealing with the Kohler genset.

2002 Thunderbird Retro
Cannondale Tandem
Cannondale Bad Boy
Cannondale F600
2 Terra Trike Tadpoles
Intense 5.5 mountain bike
ALBUM: https://newellshowcase.com/thumbnails.php?album=213
chockwald is offline   Reply With Quote