HDTV and Stereo upgrades i did on my newell - Luxury Coach Lifestyles
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-06-2008, 12:15 AM   #1
encantotom

Default HDTV and Stereo upgrades i did on my newell

hi,

here is a link to the pictures of the A/V upgrades i have done so far with more coming. http://tinyurl.com/2wvpo5 this is a 13mb file, so will take you a few minutes to download. if you have dialup, it will take you alot longer.

that will allow you to download a zip file that has a bunch of pictures. you will need to unzip them to get to the pictures.

i love hdtv. i put in a samsung 32" lcd in the front and a matching 19" in the back. we made the mounts and for the front one we made a tray to slide in the tv mounted to a frame the same way the old tube tv was. then it is screwed in from the sides for stability. cut the cabinents down and re-edgebanded them. also had to insert plywood in the gap between the laminate (they are hollow), and drill the hole to remount the internal hinge. then filled in the spots where we made the opening frame smaller to accomodate the larger tv. the rear we made a trim cover and covered it with white marine vinyl.

i ran hdmi cable to the rear through the wire chase on the passenger side. i installed an hdmi switch and distribution amp so i can watch the same hdmi source on up to 3 tv's. i installed new side, rear (front coming soon) to a newely installed 7" lcd monitor i mounted next to the rearview camera. i also used the video out function of the cameras to send to a distribution system so they are all viewable on front and rear tv as well. pretty cool. i ran new rg6 quad shield solid copper center conductor swept test to 3ghz for sat.

also ran new speaker wires and cabling for subwoofers, either powered or passive for the onkyo home theatre i put in the left overhead.

i also ran the front tv audio down to the new high end clarion car stereo i put in to play ipod movies along with usb stick mp3's. so i can use the focal 6x9 speakers i installed uder the front overhead cabinents to play the front tv if i dont want to use the home theatre or both. sounds great.

in additon in the back i ran a svga and sound cable from the tv to the back panel where the other new clarion car stereo is behind the headboard of the bed so you can display my laptop on the hdtv and play games or watch movies. the same for the front, though i had to do it with svga over cat5e becasue the corner wiring chases by the windshields were not big enough for svga video cables. just take some trancievers to do.

since i wanted to be able to use a remote control without havng the front overhead doors open, and to be able to control the front dvd player or satellite reciever from the back bedroom, i installed an home theatre infrared repeating system. they are the little round eyes that in the front right overhead on the bottom right and directly below the rear bedroom tv. i have an hdmi connected hdmi dvd player in the front and an identical one in the bedroom closet installed on the space on the shelf behind the tv now that there is not a humongo tube tv on that shelf.

i ran tons of cables and audio visual wiring and it all turned out really good. looks like it was always there. i ran for extra things in case i wanted to do something else later. i will also run new cat5e and coax to the cable tv in port in the back bay and the same to the bay where a bay tv could go. i have upper and lower sliding drawers there now, but just in case.

i will put in a media server to have movies on a hard drive as well. i have an apple tv and will probably use that first, then figure out what other system i want. issue is i can use it all, but it is a little complex for someone who doesnt know all the systems to use.

i calculated all the power usage and it is well within the supply range of my new 2kw invertor. all of the items run off the inverter.

i have polk wall mount speakers that are in a homemade enclosue in the valences (4 of them) for the home theatre). i have a sub that i use but am going to custom make a small sub that mounts to the front of the couch behind the passenger seat.

i got a few bids to have it done, but i save quite a few thousand by doing it all myself. probably cost me less than 2000 bucks.

the insert where the old tube sony monitor for the rearveiw camera made out of a piece of lexan and then went to a trophy shop and had them make me a plate of black plasitc like they use on plaques and i glued them together and it perfectly matches the black plastic on the dash.

now i need to figure out where to mount my doran pressure pro montior. think i may make a mount and put it in the overhead by the driver. not sure i have anywhere easy on the dash to put it.

i am sure i have forgot something, but you get the picture of what i did. it did take alot of time and making of things, but i have a good buddy who helped me on it as well, so it was fun too. i am a technologist, so i like to tinker with the latest gadgets and some of the features i did just to see if i could do them. not because i needed them. the access panels to run new cabling are very easy in the newell. only hard part was feeding wiring up the window areas down low and up by the cabinents. i ran a bundlle by the passenger side of about an inch in diameter. not quite as much on the drivers side because it was a ton harder to feed wires to.

i will add, that the rear camera was originally behind a clear plexiglass cover. the new camera i got required to be mounted on the outside for the infrared to work right. so i made a plate of lexan and cut a hole and got a mounting kit and trim cover for the camera. then i painted it to match the coach. i am not an expert painter, but it turned out quite nice. you have to silicon the trim cover on and i was confident i had the camera mounted right. when it turned it on, it was upside down. so i had to order another trim cover and repaint it and destroy the old one taking it off. oh well, it was about the only boo boo i made.

well, thats what i did. i would love to see what others have done. i learn a ton from others on doing things and i spent more time planning and accumulating parts and equipment than i did working on it.

and yea, i dont spell good....

regards,

tom

https://www.newellclassic.com/forum/album.php?albumid=8
encantotom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2008, 07:16 PM   #2
fulltiming

Tom, having now seen the wiring you installed in your coach, all I can say is "I'm impressed". You did a great job and have terrific flexibility to meet your future AV needs.
1992 Newell 43.5' #281
8V92 DDEC-2, HT740
PT Cruiser GT with Remco Transmission Pump
https://newellowner.com/newell-photos/
fulltiming is offline   Reply With Quote