Why Quality Built Into the Box Structure of a Luxury Coach is Very Important! - Luxury Coach Lifestyles
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Go Back   Luxury Coach Lifestyles > Coach Talk! > RVing Safely
Register FAQ Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Log in Click Here to Login

Old 03-17-2013, 04:30 PM   #1
Neweller

Default Why Quality Built Into the Box Structure of a Luxury Coach is Very Important!

This is why I would not own any luxury coach unless it was a Bus Conversion, Newell or Wanderlodge. This Beaver did not fare very well from a hard collision impact. Now, I would have to review salvage results by other manufacturers who build using fiberglass sides like Foretravel etc..... to make additional determinations. The biggest problem comes when you skimp on steel and aluminum replacing with light strand wood and choppered fiberglass materials.

This will be an interesting topic for further review.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Wasted Front Damaged RMR Monocoque Motorhome Drivers Side.JPG
Views:	477
Size:	84.4 KB
ID:	3601Click image for larger version

Name:	Wasted Front Damaged RMR Monocoque Motorhome Passenger Side.JPG
Views:	503
Size:	94.3 KB
ID:	3602

If you want to sell, PM or Private Message me. Thanks!

"I know I’m not perfect, and I don't live to be. But before you start pointing fingers, make sure your hands are clean."
-Bob Marley
Neweller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013, 05:11 PM   #2
PatriotLuke

Excuse my stupidity here but aren't Newell's constructed with fiberglass front ends or am I mistaken.

Luke

PatriotLuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013, 05:16 PM   #3
MrE

There was an article out on the Internet by Bob Gummersall dealing with frame rail vs. semi-monocoque and monocoque constrution that I read back in the 90's and was my introduction to quality RV construction. These pictures illustrate the point he was trying to make, most motor homes are not built to survive an accident. I'm glad that I own a Newell and know that in case of an accident I'm surrounded by quality construction that will protect me and my loved ones.
1986 40' Dog House #86
0 hp 8V92 Allison HT740
Soon to be 500hp ISM with ZF 6 Speed
MrE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013, 05:41 PM   #4
MrE

Quote:
Originally Posted by PatriotLuke View Post
Excuse my stupidity here but aren't Newell's constructed with fiberglass front ends or am I mistaken.

Luke
No, you are correct, Newell uses reinforced fiber-composite front and rear caps. The huge difference is the substructure that these caps are mounted to.

From the Newell websire: Molded, reinforced, fiber-composite panels are used for the front-end and rear-end caps and in some of the more complex trim forms of the Newell body. These allow for the complex shapes of the Newell’s unique, advanced styling.
1986 40' Dog House #86
0 hp 8V92 Allison HT740
Soon to be 500hp ISM with ZF 6 Speed
MrE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013, 07:31 PM   #5
Barthman

Aren't all the classics aluminum up front? Til like 1989?

Barth are a pretty tough hombre as well. Just a retired brand like Wanderlodge.
2002 Honda LX Manual Trans
Blue Ox Aladdin Tow Bar

Interested in Trading Up to a Larger Luxury Coach
Like a Newell, Wanderlodge, Featherlite, Marathon, Millennium, will Consider Others
Barthman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013, 09:08 PM   #6
cdat

My understanding is that regular motor homes are not required to meet the NTSB's accident standards, while anything that is built as a commercial bus, whether it ends up as a motor home, or bus, must meet the NTSB's standards for a commercial passenger carrier. It's also been my understanding the although Newells chassis's are not a "commercial" bus frame they are built to the same standard. Any thoughts on what I've been told?

John
cdat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 04:30 PM   #7
PatriotLuke

Does anyone know what exactly reinforced fiber-composite front and rear caps is and means for consumers in terms of safety?

Luke

PatriotLuke is offline   Reply With Quote