Alternator Charging issue on 1986 Newell Coach with 8v92 - Luxury Coach Lifestyles
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-17-2012, 06:08 AM   #1
86loco

Default Alternator Charging issue on 1986 Newell Coach with 8v92

This is the first time I ever had any issue with charging or electrical o the engine other than batteries. Looking at my dash gauge it is showing 0 amps while I'm getting a reading of .5 on the minus and positive sides of the alternator.

Anyone have a good guestament of what I should do next?

Old 09-17-2012, 02:29 PM   #2
prairieschooner

I had to have ours rebuilt last year. I would start by getting some Voltage Readings with a Volt Meter at the Battery. Make sure that the Merge Switch is Off and go to an Engine Battery. You should see something like 12.3 Volts or so Idle and around 14 Volts with the Engine Running. (be sure to give it a short rev to be sure that it should be charging)
Is your Alternator Belt Driven or Gear Driven? Our '82 is the Gear Driven type and that is Military or Marine and not real common.
If you have a Gear Driven then you should be very careful who you take it to! The Repair Shop down the street may not be the best choice since parts are specific.

1982 Newell 38' (built before #1) 6V92 DD, 5 Speed Allison, 12.5 KW Kohler, Couch used to make into a Bed but I fixed it!
https://newellshowcase.com/thumbnails.php?album=214
2007 Yukon, 1981 CJ7 Laredo, 2002 Honda CRV, 1955 Thunderbird, 1952 Pontiac Sedan Delivery, 1952 Ford 8N, 1958 Airstream, 1959 Glasspar 16' Avalon, Cabin in the Woods........what will I work on next
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
prairieschooner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 03:58 PM   #3
MrE

My '86 has a gear driven alternator. I had to remove the alternator to replace the air compressor, so I took it into a shop to have it 'tested' while it was off. The shop called and said it was ready to pick up, and handed me a $400 bill for rebuilding the alternator when I picked it up. I wasn't surprised by the cost, what irked me was that I had found a wealth of information on this site dealing with the different options available that I was not able to pursue.
1986 40' Dog House #86
0 hp 8V92 Allison HT740
Soon to be 500hp ISM with ZF 6 Speed
MrE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 04:48 PM   #4
Neweller

Mine were gear driven as well. Made by Leece Neville. Been lucky on not having to change or rebuild one.

Steve, what did it cost to rebuild it yourself and was it pretty straightforward of a task?

Jon, did you authorize the shop to do a rebuild or they just made the asumption?

Ken
If you want to sell, PM or Private Message me. Thanks!

"I know I’m not perfect, and I don't live to be. But before you start pointing fingers, make sure your hands are clean."
-Bob Marley
Neweller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 05:23 PM   #5
MrE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neweller View Post
Mine were gear driven as well. Made by Leece Neville. Been lucky on not having to change or rebuild one.

Steve, what did it cost to rebuild it yourself and was it pretty straightforward of a task?

Jon, did you authorize the shop to do a rebuild or they just made the asumption?

Ken
They made an assumption. I probably would have authorized them repairing it if they had called so I didn't raise a big stink, but I would have also requested that they go with the highest amperage possible which they did not do.
1986 40' Dog House #86
0 hp 8V92 Allison HT740
Soon to be 500hp ISM with ZF 6 Speed
MrE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 06:09 PM   #6
prairieschooner

My model 3425J Alternator was been rebuilt at a cost of $425.00 and required a new Stator, Rotor and Regulator (the independent lost my Regulator and other internal parts). I was lucky to find a shop at the Port of Long Beach that had parts, not sure that another shop could do this type of repair for much less.
The 1st shop that I went to was not qualified and lost parts. This is why I recommend that you tread lightly.

The Gear Driven Alternator is mounted to the rear of the engine high and on centerline. The Seal that is on the Adapter Flange was the weak link and Detroit changed the type to Viton. Anyway if anyone sees debris at the lower portion of the alternator then the seal is most likely in poor condition and should be renewed. The debris is most likely showing an oil leak from a worn out seal with dirt collecting near the base. This could save allot of expense if caught in time. A new Gasket is less than $6.00 and the proper seal is less than $20.00 from DD (the seal is different than what is normally supplied by a Bearing House, Viton rather than Buna-N.

Replacement Seal Detroit Diesel #23508977, and get a Flange Gasket #23509123 on our 6V92.
1982 Newell 38' (built before #1) 6V92 DD, 5 Speed Allison, 12.5 KW Kohler, Couch used to make into a Bed but I fixed it!
2007 Yukon, 1981 CJ7 Laredo, 2002 Honda CRV, 1955 Thunderbird, 1952 Pontiac Sedan Delivery, 1952 Ford 8N, 1958 Airstream, 1959 Glasspar 16' Avalon, Cabin in the Woods........what will I work on next
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Old 09-17-2012, 10:19 PM   #7
86loco

Ok that is what they mean by flange mounted and see I need that seal and gasket. I my brother Brian who is more the mechanical guy is helping me do some further imspection. Brian is trying talk me out of my Newell and if he does I might start looking at some others.

My alternator is one of those Leece Nevils and Brian was told by a local company they carry a Delco replacement. Does anyone know if one is better than the other?

Also, thanks Ken, Jon and Steve for your wonderful help so far.
Old 09-18-2012, 02:34 AM   #8
prairieschooner

Not that I am aware of as far as an interchange. If there is an accumulation of fluid and dirt at the base then the alternator could have filled up with residual debris and overheated because it would not have cooled properly. This is also a good reason for us to not try to increase the amperage because the case may not be able to cool it properly. It is only a matter of maintenance and knowing what to look for, tell your brother to stand by! an alternator that failed due to poor or misguided maintenance is not a reason to give up on the coach.
PS I disconnected the Air Conditioning Compressor on our '82 because it would have been too costly and it really wasn't a good design. I am considering using that mounting area to install a secondary charging system...stand by for more on that.

PS if you find a replacement for the Flange Mounted LEECE NEVILLE, please post it!
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Old 10-02-2012, 04:16 PM   #9
farmell

86LOCO is yours a 270 amp or is it higher? I have a 270 amp new in the box with the flange mount.

“A government big enough to give you everything you want is a government big enough to take from you everything you have.” – President Gerald Ford
farmell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2023, 05:46 AM   #10
Alexsmit1245

Quote:
Originally Posted by prairieschooner View Post
My model 3425J Alternator was been rebuilt at a cost of $425.00 and required a new Stator, Rotor and Regulator (the independent lost my Regulator and other internal parts). I was lucky to find a shop at the Port of Long Beach that had parts, not sure that another shop could do this type of repair for much less.
The 1st shop that I went to was not qualified and lost parts. This is why I recommend that you tread lightly.

The Gear Driven Alternator is mounted to the rear of the engine high and on centerline. The Seal that is on the Adapter Flange was the weak link and Detroit changed the type to Viton. Anyway if anyone sees debris at the lower portion of the alternator then the seal is most likely in poor condition and should be renewed. The debris is most likely showing an oil leak from a worn out seal with dirt collecting near the base. This could save allot of expense if caught in time. A new Gasket is less than $6.00 and the proper seal is less than $20.00 from DD (the seal is different than what is normally supplied by a Bearing House, Viton rather than Buna-N.

Replacement Seal Detroit Diesel #23508977, and get a Flange Gasket #23509123 on our 6V92.
Im having trouble taking off the alternator on my newell after taking off the main bolts it seem to be a hidden one i can see and doesnt let me get pull it out, any help ir diagram would be great

Alexsmit1245 is offline   Reply With Quote