Electric Heaters in 1986 Newell - Luxury Coach Lifestyles
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-26-2008, 06:57 AM   #1
86loco

Unhappy Electric Heaters in 1986 Newell

I have 3 electric heaters in my 1986 Coach. Two of the fan motors have stopped working. There is not a name on either one. Can you be of any help? Both are same size. A third heater in the bath appears to be smaller, but is still working.

Old 10-26-2008, 03:42 PM   #2
Neweller

From your description, we believe that you are referring to forced air electric in wall heaters manufactured between 1970 and 1986 as model TW 1222 heaters under the Square D or Nelco brand names. In 1996, Square D conducted a recall of these heaters. The recall stated that if the blower wheel does not operate, OVERHEATING MAY OCCUR RESULTING IN A FIRE WHICH COULD CAUSE PERSONAL INJURY, DEATH, OR PROPERTY DAMAGE. Do not operate the heaters. You should replace the heaters with new units designed and manufactured by Marley Electric as a field replacement for TW series heaters. A while back the heaters were still available from Newell Parts, not sure if they are any longer. The 1996 recall was conducted entirely by Square D and information on the progress of the recall was not shared with Newell Coach. For this reason, unfortunately, Newell has no records pertaining to the recall status of particular coaches.

Best of Luck,
Ken

If you want to sell, PM or Private Message me. Thanks!

"I know I’m not perfect, and I don't live to be. But before you start pointing fingers, make sure your hands are clean."
-Bob Marley
Neweller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2008, 01:04 PM   #3
The Newell

I had some of the same issues with a couple of the small electric heaters. It sounds like they are the same ones.

Home Base: Riverside, CA

If anyone needs my contact info private message me and I will send it to you.

-Joseph-
The Newell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2008, 07:08 AM   #4
67 Goat

This is good information as mine is a likely candidate for replacements under recall. I hope the recall is still on going it has been over ten years ago.
67 Goat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2008, 03:23 PM   #5
John Clark

Default Electric Heaters in 1986 Newell

Electric Heaters I had the same problem in my 1979 and 1987 Newells. The Square D recall provided for a replacement heater at a wholesale price of something like $110. The problem was it didn't fit in the same hole (heater was wider). If you need the smaller one, like in the bathroom, and if Newell doesn't have it, you can get it from Grainger for about $125.

John C
John Clark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2009, 03:16 AM   #6
prarieschooner

Ken,
Thanks for the heads up on this.

prarieschooner is offline   Reply With Quote