towing a 2008 dodge ram 2 wheel drive - Luxury Coach Lifestyles
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-19-2012, 07:40 PM   #1
Rich Franklin

Default towing a 2008 dodge ram 2 wheel drive

Are there any folks that tow a dodge ram? I'm thinking of the same and have received various info from can't be done to 4 wheels down is fine? This is used as our everyday driver and would be our tow behind once we find the right Newell Coach.

Any body with exp with this that i can get some info from?

Thank You,

Rich Franklin

Old 09-19-2012, 08:39 PM   #2
folivier

Check out: Application Charts | Remco Towing

According to their info manual can be towed but auto tranny needs a lube pump. 4x4 is towable as is.

1998 Newell 45' 2 slide #486
2004 Chevy Silverado Z71
2013 RZR 570LE

"You don't have a soul. You are a soul, you have a body." C.S.Lewis

https://www.luxurycoachlifestyle.com/...php?albumid=14
folivier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2012, 09:24 PM   #3
Neweller

Ron Skeen another member here on the forum has been towing a Ram 1500 for quite some time, I believe his is a 4wd and like Forest stated above this post, that would not be a problem. I'm looking at towing something similar as well. I'll report on any of my findings unless someone else chimes in sooner.
If you want to sell, PM or Private Message me. Thanks!

"I know I’m not perfect, and I don't live to be. But before you start pointing fingers, make sure your hands are clean."
-Bob Marley
Neweller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 03:55 AM   #4
NewellCrazy

What size Ram? (1500, 2500, 3500?)
What transmission?

Here is what Remco says about the Ram 1500:

2003 - 2011 Dodge Ram 1500
Application Notes
LP-1 Kit will allow this vehicle to be flat-towed. ($850.00) Check Transmission Model Number before ordering.
Engine:
ALL
Drivetrain:
2WD
Transmission:
5-45RFE
2011 Dodge Ram 1500

Application Notes
5-Speed Manual Transmission is towable. The 6-Speed Transmission is not towable from the Manufacturer and Remco has no Lube Pump Kit for that vehicle.
Engine:
ALL
Drivetrain:
RWD
Transmission:
Manual

If Ain't a Newell, It Ain't Wurt Oonin!
NewellCrazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 03:58 AM   #5
Rich Franklin

Dodge Ram 1500- automatic
Old 09-20-2012, 10:00 AM   #6
Ron Skeen

I have towed a 1999 dodge dakota 4x4 automatic since 2000. I started towing in 2006 a 2005 dodge ram 1500 4x4 automatic HEMI 4 door short bed. I still have both trucks which have been towed combined 200k and have never had any problems with the vehicles mechanically but have had towing problems which have been brain fade on my part. The dodge 4x4 make it real simple to flat tow. The only thing I do is put the transfer case in neutral, pull 1 fuse, leave the key on where it dose not lock steering column and lock the door and be sure I have another key to get in. I have heard the drive shaft disengagement is expensive and a pain to hook and unhook sometimes. The 4x4 would probably be as cheap as buying the shaft option and you would have a 4x4 to explore with at different locations.
1996 Newell 45' #422
2004 Newell 45'8" #689
60 Series Detriot
Yellow Dodge Truck
Ron Skeen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 11:24 AM   #7
Summersgal

We have towed a 2002 Doge 1500 crew cab short bed automatic for the last 3 years. After researching the options. I choose to go with the option of disengaging the drive shaft. We hookup to the Newell via a Blue Ox and I disengage the drive shaft by putting the truck in forward and reverse while pulling a cable. This new drive shaft and decoupling device was put on at Drive Shafts of Tulsa, it works great and we have never had an issue with it. I put the transmission in park and turn the key to the first notch to keep the steering wheel from locking. I was told that the dodge does not have a steering wheel lock, (This is a Lie), the first time we towed the truck we drove four miles to fill up with diesel.

When I walked around the coach I could smell rubber burning, the front tires on the truck were not straight and were smoking. After buying two new tires and doing a little research on Google, I found out the the steering does indeed lock when one full revolution of the steering wheel has been made. You have to insert the key and barley turn it, you will feel it go into the first notch, I always check it by turning the wheel in both directions more then one full turn. We just purchased a new 2012 dodge 2500 4X4 diesel truck full crew cab with a long bed. It is a 6 speed automatic. We spent four days researching, calling the manufacturers and talking with different dealerships to find out if this truck was flat tow-able. It was not an easy question, 3 different dodge dealerships could not tell us, one said it wasn't and if we towed it behind a coach and something happened to the drive train the warranty would not cover it. The big issue and the reason no one could answer is because the newer trucks do not have a shifter on the floor to put the transfer case into neutral. They are all electric shift now with either a knob or push button. The only way a 4x4 can be flat tow-able is if the transfer case can go into neutral.

The Dodge is the only truck we could find with the feature of having a neutral position and can actually get the transfer case into neutral. It takes about 6 steps that you have to do to accomplish this but its not that bad. We could not find a comparable truck from Ford, GMC, or Chevrolet that had a neutral option. We tested the truck twice going through the procedure and was satisfied that the transfer case was indeed in neutral. We have not been able find any literature about the steering wheel lock on this new truck. The service manager told us it does not lock in any way, shape or fashion. There is no key that goes into the steering column on this truck, the plastic FOB goes into a slot on the dash.

We hooked it up to the Newell the other day and started down the drive way while I sat in the truck to see if the wheel turned or locked. (there is no way to turn the wheels with the engine off). No mater how hard I tried to turn the wheel at least part of a turn, I could not. My plan is to ride in the truck all the way to the diesel place and verify that the steering truly is unlocked. The reason we wanted a bigger truck was the RZR loaded in the 1500 was a full load and really squatted the truck, also even the RZR 800 would not fit in the bed, the rear wheels were sitting on the tailgate. With the new truck the entire RZR fits in the bed. We just came back from a trip and towed the dodge with the RZR in the back for 2600 miles. We will be towing the new truck to West Virgina in two weeks to meet up with Ron Skeen and others to do a lot of trail riding.

Jeff

Coach #432
Summersgal is offline   Reply With Quote