Tech Talk Archives 3 - Page 3 - Luxury Coach Lifestyles
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-15-2012, 06:29 AM   #41
Neweller

Q
308 4/19/2001 12:28:29 PM 4/19/2001 TechTalk Staff TechTalk@newellcoach.com '79 Newell Windshield Replacement We stock windshields for all Newell model years. Call Newell parts at 1-888-3NEWELL.

If you want to sell, PM or Private Message me. Thanks!

"I know I知 not perfect, and I don't live to be. But before you start pointing fingers, make sure your hands are clean."
-Bob Marley
Neweller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 06:29 AM   #42
Neweller

A
309 4/19/2001 12:32:28 PM 4/19/2001 TechTalk Staff TechTalk@newellcoach.com GPS Systems - Factory Installed The Alpine DVD GPS Navigation System with two screens (driver and co-pilot) is $3995 installed. It contains all of the data on a single disc, a great advantage over the typical 7 disc systems. It is designed so that the co-pilot can enter and update as the coach is going down the road (driver inputs are locked out by the system when the vehicle is in motion).

"I know I知 not perfect, and I don't live to be. But before you start pointing fingers, make sure your hands are clean."
-Bob Marley
Old 10-15-2012, 06:29 AM   #43
Neweller

A
310 4/19/2001 12:42:48 PM 4/19/2001 TechTalk Staff TechTalk@newellcoach.com tag axle Confirm that the air pressure regulator for the tag axle is set at 25 PSI. The regulator is located on the forward, curb side wall of the engine compartment. Next, operate the three-position tag axle switch on the instrument panel. The center position is normal travel, pushing on the up side adds air to the tag, taking weight off of the drive axle, and pushing on the down side exhausts air from the tag axle to increase traction or shorten the turning radius. If operating correctly, you will hear air exhausting at the regulator when you push the switch on the down side. You may need to replace one or more of the valves. We recommend these valves be replaced every three years.

-Bob Marley
Old 10-15-2012, 06:30 AM   #44
Neweller

A
311 4/23/2001 2:00:09 PM 4/26/2001 Peter van Schoonhoven pvans@pacifier.com Used Newells with Slide Out I am embarking on a search for a slightly used Newell, and wonder at what year did the slide out room first become available?
Also, I plan to tow an 8000 lb trailer, what is the minimum engine size you recommend? I will be driving alot in the mountainous west, and detest climbing interstate grades at 45 mph! Your comments appreciated.

-Bob Marley
Old 10-15-2012, 06:30 AM   #45
Neweller

Q
312 4/26/2001 8:04:14 AM 4/26/2001 TechTalk Staff TechTalk@newellcoach.com Used Newells with Slide Out The first Newells with slide-outs are 1997 models. With the exception of one Cummins powered coach and one Cat powered coach, all 1997s and newer are equipped with 500 hp Detroit Diesel Series 60 engines, plenty of power to pull an 8000 lb. trailer. The standard trailer hitch is rated at 5000 lb., but it is not difficult to upgrade the hitch. For information on specific preowned Newells available for sale, go to the preowned section of www.newell.com or call a Newell sales representative on our toll free number, 1-888-3NEWELL.

-Bob Marley
Old 10-15-2012, 06:30 AM   #46
Neweller

A
314 5/1/2001 5:53:27 PM 5/2/2001 bbooggss @ aol.com polishing aluminum wheels Buy the Bush cleaning kit.It is very easy to use.I did 6 wheels in 2 hours and they look like chrome. Look in your Family Motor Coach mag.in the back. Buy the entire kit.

-Bob Marley
Old 10-15-2012, 06:30 AM   #47
Neweller

A
315 5/3/2001 11:43:32 AM 5/5/2001 Bonnie Michael bonniem@prographicsllc.com Used Newells with Slide Out Small correction for the TechTalk Staff
You have referred this inquiry to www.newell.com.
The URL for Newell is www.newellcoach.com

-Bob Marley
Old 10-15-2012, 06:30 AM   #48
Neweller

A
320 5/8/2001 7:21:35 PM 5/10/2001 Dean Stoops 67gto@bright.net convertor/charger I am having trouble with my coach batts boiling dry. Is there a way to check the charger on my 1978 Newell? It is rated at 70 Amp. I am running 3 12V deep cycle batteries that are less than 1 yr old. It has boiled 1 or 2 cells dry on each batt. I'm thinking of updating the charger. I noticed that the positive lead coming out of the charger terminates at a block. There are 2 smaller wires coming out of that block. Is that component necessary? Should I just hook the positive lead from the new charger to that block just as the old one is?
Thanks
Dean

-Bob Marley
Old 10-15-2012, 06:31 AM   #49
Neweller

Q
321 5/9/2001 6:16:49 AM 5/10/2001 ron livingston ronl@netropolis.net Pre-Owned Newell Coach I own a '68 Newell Coach which is for sale. I contacted Newell's CEO
with an e-mail and pics. I received a quick response and was advised
there was virtually no inquiries to the factory for a model this old. If any owners
know of another Newell forum please advise me at ronl@netropolis.net

-Bob Marley
Old 10-15-2012, 06:31 AM   #50
Neweller

A
322 5/10/2001 3:23:56 PM 5/10/2001 TechTalk Staff TechTalk@newellcoach.com convertor/charger If only one or two cells on each battery are boiling dry, it does not sound like a charger problem. A charger malfunction would tend to boil all of the cells in the battery bank. You may have some shorted cells. We suggest you have a technician load test the batteries at 200 to 300 amps. The block you mention is a breaker. The charger should always be wired through this breaker.

-Bob Marley
Old 10-15-2012, 06:31 AM   #51
Neweller

A
323 5/16/2001 12:45:33 PM 5/17/2001 Russ McDonough russmail@aol.com Pre-Owned Newell Coach Um, "Every message is reviewed, edited, hopefully accurately for grammer and spelling . . ." "Grammer" should be spelled "grammar." (I know, I obviously have too much time on my hands! Just giving you a good-natured ribbing, because of the irony of the context of the misspelling). I enjoy the tech forum - thanks.

-Bob Marley
Old 10-15-2012, 06:31 AM   #52
Neweller

324 5/21/2001 10:51:46 AM 5/21/2001 John Clark jvclark02@cs.com convertor/charger I owned a 79 Newell for 10 years, and had some similiar experiences. If you have the old design converter/charger it will tend to overcharge. The newer float type chargers commonly found on new inverters from Xantrex, Trace, Statpower, Heart etc. have a 3 stage charger- Bulk, Accept, & Float. This has pretty much solved the problem of constantly adding water and bulging batteries. Another problem I had was mixing deep cycle batteries with start batteries and old batteries with new ones. If you have one battery that needs more voltage/amps than the others, all of them will suffer with the added charging and you will be forever adding water and replacing batteries. I agree with Newell. Load test the batteries (You can buy a tester from Northern Tools for $49)and eliminate the bad one. If you have the nonfloating type charger you might consider upgrading as you will get your money back in batteries saved. One other question, are the dry cells nearest the positive terminal, if not, the baterry is probably bad.

-Bob Marley
Old 10-15-2012, 06:31 AM   #53
Neweller

A
325 6/6/2001 8:24:05 PM 6/9/2001 Leo Everitt olympicspkc@earthlink.net SmarTire The May 2000 issue of FMCA magazine Newell article stated you were using SmarTire monitoring on the front tires and would be looking to all other tires as the technology became available. What is status of tire monitoring technology and use at present time ? Will you be required or meet the new Federal law passsed after the Firestone episode ?

-Bob Marley
Old 10-18-2012, 04:32 AM   #54
Neweller

Q
326 6/9/2001 9:26:33 AM 6/9/2001 TechTalk Staff TechTalk@newellcoach.com SmarTire SmarTire has advised us that they will "soon" introduce an upgraded monitoring system with two improvements very relevant to our use. First, new pressure sensors will have a maximum pressure read-out to about 180 psi. Currently, the maximum is 127 psi, which will alert to any major loss of pressure, but will not show accurate front tire pressures, reading the maximum of 127 virtually all of the time. The second improvement promised is a longer range for the transmitters, so that we can monitor drive axle, tag axle, and tow vehicle tires from the driver's seat.

The only change to the Federal law we can recall being considered had something to do with corporate executives being held criminally responsible for safety issues under certain circumstances. We are not sure whether this was passed and signed into law, and if so, how it is going to be applied. In the case of Newell, we are fast to act when we encounter a recall situation, and the few recalls we have conducted have been handled quickly.

-Bob Marley
Old 10-18-2012, 04:33 AM   #55
Neweller

A
327 6/13/2001 7:34:39 AM 6/13/2001 Leo Everitt olympicspkc@earthlink.net SmarTire The law I was referring to is the one that mandates tire monitoring on "vehicles" by 2003. I wondered if it applies to motorhomes as well as automobiles.

-Bob Marley
Old 10-18-2012, 04:33 AM   #56
Neweller

A
328 6/18/2001 5:59:29 AM 6/18/2001 Walter Preston wlp55@attglobal.net R134 retro fit What recomondations can you make regarding changing my 87 from R12 to R134?

-Bob Marley
Old 10-18-2012, 04:33 AM   #57
Neweller

Q
329 6/18/2001 6:02:16 AM 6/18/2001 Walter Preston wlp55@attglobal.net Surge on cruise My 87 has an occasional surging problem on cruise. I have cleaned the contacts in the black connectors. That was inconclusive. Where would you go next?

-Bob Marley
Old 10-18-2012, 04:33 AM   #58
Neweller

Q
330 6/18/2001 12:15:05 PM 6/18/2001 Jack Frost, MD Forfam30@aol.com GPS Systems - Factory Installed Have used the Alpine DVD system in my Newell since Dec. 1999 with great satisfaction. It is not complex to a computer user but takes awhile to learn all the nuances. The two screen system is a must as driving a Newell and operating the GPS is akin to a blood alcohol of about the legal limit according to NHTSA. The voice instructions are invaluable while driving in cities where Interstate changes are frequent. Best accessory $$$ ever spent on a coach.

-Bob Marley
Old 10-18-2012, 04:33 AM   #59
Neweller

A
331 6/18/2001 2:38:33 PM 6/18/2001 S. Coryell zzcash@att.net 79 STeering box adjustment I have a 1979 with an excess play in the steering.. I see three adjustments on the steereing box. How do I do this safely? Thanks

-Bob Marley
Old 10-18-2012, 04:33 AM   #60
Neweller

Q
332 6/19/2001 11:33:38 AM 6/19/2001 TechTalk Staff TechTalk@newellcoach.com R134 retro fit You might look at a product called Johnsens Freeze 12. Replaces R-12, no CFCs, and does not require an expensive conversion. We have used it in the Newell Service Department, so far with good results. You can contact the manufacturer at 800-527-0885.

-Bob Marley