Best state to register a newell coach - Luxury Coach Lifestyles
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-13-2012, 07:11 PM   #1
FrankMooney

Default Best state to register a newell coach

Hi,

When I buy my newell I'll be full timing in it and could theoretically register in any state. I've read several ads that mention Class A Diesel Motor homes must have an inspection as a commercial vehicle. Which states don't require diesel rv's to be inspected? Also, which ones don't charge sales tax or property tax? Obviously one state that had all three would be perfect! Just wanting to do my homework ahead of time.

Frank

FrankMooney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2012, 07:39 PM   #2
MrE

Montana doesn't have a sales tax, and if your Newell is 11 years or older you can buy a permanent registration for $237.50. Montana RVs and Motor Home MVD Registration at DMV.org: The DMV Made Simple

1986 40' Dog House #86
0 hp 8V92 Allison HT740
Soon to be 500hp ISM with ZF 6 Speed
MrE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2012, 08:08 PM   #3
The Newell

Jon is correct,

Here is some more information on Montana:

fees for corp, llc or llp. You can have one of those and not be a resident of the state.
what you are doing is basically stating that you are doing business in Montana. If the
business makes no money then there are no taxes to pay. (way it was explained to me
and I am not a tax expert or lawyer)

http://sos.mt.gov/Business/forms/fee...iling_Fees.pdf

Licensing is by vehicle type and age. Montana as Jon Stated also has for vehicles over 11 yrs old a
permanent one time tax (tags) that are good forever (or until legislature changes the laws)
when new plates are issued (about 0nce every 5 years or so you still need to pay for the
new plates.

https://doj.mt.gov/driving/vehicle-t...-registration/

would you be licensing the RV under a business or a person?

Hope this helps

Joseph

Home Base: Riverside, CA

If anyone needs my contact info private message me and I will send it to you.

-Joseph-
The Newell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2012, 09:15 PM   #4
Gone Busing

Montana is widely used for this by thousands of full-timers. That is great information on the permanent plate thing. I've heard of states offering permanent plates for most types of vehicles but never knew how they worked.

Comparing Luxury Motor Coaches
Gone Busing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2012, 10:05 PM   #5
Chester B. Stone, Jr.

A few years ago, I formed an LLC in Montana for an Alfa I owned at the time. Last year, I added a new Honda Odyssey to my LLC, and in April 2012 I added my 2001 Newell. Was not aware that I can now get a lifetime registration. If you register your coach as an individual, you will be subject to Montana income tax and have to have a Montana driver's license. Some states are going after Montana licensed RVs which are parked in their state for an extended period, but avoided their sales tax. Should not be a problem for full timers are someone like me that lives in Mexico. Frankly I would go for it.
2001 Newell #579
tow a 2011 Honda Odyssey
1935 Mercedes 500K replica
Chester B. Stone, Jr. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2012, 11:31 PM   #6
jack14r

The other tax that is very important is that Montana does not have any property tax,I live in NC and county tax is about 65 cents per 100 and most city taxes are an additional 55 cents per $100,I have my coach in a Montana LLC.
jack14r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2012, 11:38 PM   #7
lbrachfe

Florida,Texas,Vermont and Oregon all have good reasons, besides Montana. We chose Florida as it's the cheapest for our situation
lbrachfe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2012, 12:16 AM   #8
Archie T. Hogan

South Dakota is one of the most popular among full time RV'rs. There are several mail forwarding services there that will help with the registration and residency processes. You do have to go there at some point to get your drivers license the first time.

Full Timing( Already Started)
Archie T. Hogan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 05:14 PM   #9
Raymond N Priscilla Miller

There are many factors to take into consideration when choosing what state to register your coach in. It's hard to say which state is the best state for you. Because what is good for one may not be good for another. Everyone's individual circumstances are different. Insurance costs and things covered is another thing to think about.
Old 10-18-2012, 03:00 PM   #10
Dan B

Hey Frank,

We live in Texas. When you purchase an RV, you pay sales tax. If you are a resident and purchase it elsewhere, when you move it here, you are supposed to register it in Texas. After that, you have to re-register it every year which isn't too bad and you have to have a safety inspection annually. About $15.00 for a diesel and probably a good idea. No annual sales or property tax.

I have read there are a few other states people think are pretty good but I can't recall off the top of my head which ones.

Regards,

Dan
Dan B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 04:21 PM   #11
1993Newell

• Nevada
  • South Dakota
  • Texas
  • Wyoming
The top places for fulltime RVers are #1 Texas and #2 South Dakota

1993 Newell Coach Motorhome
1993Newell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 05:30 PM   #12
Chester B. Stone, Jr.

A word of caution. If you register a motorhome in one state, pay no sales tax, then decide to move the title to a state that has no income tax, some states such as Nevada and Wyoming have a "use" tax which is like a sales tax. Texas does not have this tax and only charges a small fee to transfer from one state to another. Wise to do some research.

2001 Newell #579
tow a 2011 Honda Odyssey
1935 Mercedes 500K replica
Chester B. Stone, Jr. is offline   Reply With Quote