Replacement Windows - Luxury Coach Lifestyles
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-31-2009, 08:52 PM   #1
jmacstack

Default Replacement Windows

Hello, Jennifer here once again to ask more questions. I have a broken window on the drivers side bedroom and the driver's upper long skinny window above the slider. I am trying to find out who the manufacturer was then so I can replace them. The label on the window reads:
A
L
G
AS-3-MG 28 SS

I have called Newell and they are looking into it. I called Penninsula and they told me that Newell was using several manufacturer's back in 1987 and that it was not their window. Any ideas?
Jennifer

1987 Newell, 40ft #143
DD 8V92 Silver
2010 Cannondale Tandem
No Name Tandem Mtn Bike
1973 Triumph GT6
2012 AWD 4-door Mini-Cooper
3 Ford Trucks
Just another fanatical motorhead
jmacstack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2009, 12:30 AM   #2
encantotom

howdy,

my coach build sheet had all pennisula windows....however only the drivers and passenger windows. they were double pane insulated glass. the rest were Hehr single pane windows. i guess they ran out of the better ones and substituted the Hehr's. i tried to find parts for the Hehrs, and couldnt so i replaced all the single pane windows with new pennisula glass insulated double pane windows. they are awesome.

the problem is the window designs have changed and finding parts for the older ones is near impossible.

is it just the glass that is broken or the frame or what?

if it is just the glass, just go to a glass company and have a new one made.

if it is the parts, you are going to have fun finding any parts.

so, what is broken?

tom

https://www.newellclassic.com/forum/album.php?albumid=8
encantotom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2009, 01:37 AM   #3
jmacstack

Hi Tom, thanks for responding. The glass is broken. The frames are fine and I don't need parts. Can any auto glass shop repair these? When I talked to Peninsula, they said they could repair them but I would have to remove the windows and send them to Vancouver, Washington. That task feels a bit daunting. My blue prints do not have manufacturers on them. Newell is checking into it for me and hopefully will get back to me tomorrow. Jennifer
1987 Newell, 40ft #143
DD 8V92 Silver
2010 Cannondale Tandem
No Name Tandem Mtn Bike
1973 Triumph GT6
2012 AWD 4-door Mini-Cooper
3 Ford Trucks
Just another fanatical motorhead
jmacstack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2009, 02:07 AM   #4
encantotom

others might have more advice, but here is mine.

the panes are held in place simply. there is an adhesive strip applied to the inside of the frame, the glass is laid in the window, then a rubber strip is pushed in to seal the glass in. it is very possible to do yourself. the glass needs to be tempered and have the same tint as what you have.

is your glass single pane? if so, that will be much easier and cheaper to get made.

the reason everyone likes to have the window out is that way you can lay it down flat and easily position the glass. when it is in the coach upright, it is harder to center the glass on the adhesive strip, but with some help is not impossible.

you can easily take the rubber seal piece out around the outside of the window and then make a template of the exact size of the glass to have the new one made. then temporarily put the rubber strip back in. i have replaced the exterior rubber seals on my front windows no problem. just some elbow grease and a strong thumb and or something to push the seal back in.

if you peel one piece of it out a few inches, you can see what i mean.

the local auto glass places i talked to dont like to do rv windows....you might find an exception.

if you decide you want to take the entire window frame out and take it to a glass shop to have it done, it is not hard, just work.

the hardest thing is getting access on the inside of the entire window frame. if you have access, there is a trim ring on the inside of the coach that has little black screws about every 6 inches. when you take the screws out all the way around, the trim ring comes off on the inside and then the window frame can be genly pushed out from the inside with someone holding it on the outside. then the entire window comes out. the window is "sandwiched" using the outer trim and the inner trim ring compressing around the wall.

i took out all my windows and replaced them with new ones, so it isnt real hard, like i said, just work.

i will PM you my phone number if you want to talk through any of this.

tom

Old 09-01-2009, 11:35 AM   #5
HoosierDaddy

Hi Jennifer,
I was not able to find anyone who would make a replacement window (doublepane) locally. My windows were made by Peninsula. I removed the entire window and sent it to Peninsula for repair. I know that is not an option for you since your windows are not made by them but I would at least get a quote from them for a whole new unit. They can build whatever you need.
1993 Newell 45'#316, 1976 Trans Am 455, 1967 GTO, 1953 Chevrolet 3105 (panel truck),1952 Chevrolet 3600,1969 Airstream Overlander. Always fixing something!
HoosierDaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2009, 02:40 PM   #6
encantotom

dean may be right, and certainly the one RV glass guy who came and replaced my windshield said they wouldnt touch an RV window, but i have to believe that some regular glass shops will make the window you need. at least worth a few phone calls.

deans option is a good one, though as he will tell you, a pricey one.

Matt, our road warrior used to be in the glass business, hopefully he can weigh in here and give some advice.

also, you didnt say yet if it was a single or dual pane window.

tom