Generator Question - Luxury Coach Lifestyles
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-16-2011, 09:32 PM   #1
bluesky

Default Generator Question

Hi Folks

We've been home in Kelowna, BC for a week or so after our 3000 mile cruise across 10 states. The coach ran very well with the engine strong, the tranny smooth and pretty much all else doing it's job.

I registered, received and attached a new British Columbia VIN# as we could not locate the original VIN plate anywhere in the coach. The coach is now legally registered, insured and good to go.

However, I still have a huge problem with my inverter/charger, even after installing a new Magnum 2800. I've read pretty much all the threads pertaining to this issue, but no resolve as yet. Perhaps the thing to do is to bring the coach to a good electrician and leave it to him?

In the meantime, today my generator fired up as usual, however, when I switched from shoreline to generator there was no 110 in the coach.

Given it has worked before, could there be a generator breaker in the coache that may have went or are there any other suggestions?

Thanks everyone.

Kelowna, British Columbia
Canada
1983 Newell Classic
https://www.luxurycoachlifestyle.com/...php?albumid=47
1993 SOB
bluesky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2011, 09:47 PM   #2
prairieschooner

Just for giggles I suppose that you have switched the Source Isolation Relays to Generator/Sore Power.
I believe that I have a Circuit Breaker at the Generator. It is one the Box, good luck.

There are some pretty smart cookies here on the forum, try to explain the problem when you are able to respond shortly after they get back to you.
good luck.

1982 Newell 38' (built before #1) 6V92 DD, 5 Speed Allison, 12.5 KW Kohler, Couch used to make into a Bed but I fixed it!
https://newellshowcase.com/thumbnails.php?album=214
2007 Yukon, 1981 CJ7 Laredo, 2002 Honda CRV, 1955 Thunderbird, 1952 Pontiac Sedan Delivery, 1952 Ford 8N, 1958 Airstream, 1959 Glasspar 16' Avalon, Cabin in the Woods........what will I work on next
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
prairieschooner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2011, 09:48 AM   #3
jmacstack

Hi Glenn, in my 87' I have a switch(looks like a regular house hold light switch)in my breaker panel back in the bedroom on the passenger side panel location. If I am running down the road and want to use my roof air, I reach up and kick on my generator and flip the toggle to generator. I also have to switch this switch in the back AC panel or the charging system gets confused as to the source of charge(battery charger or generator.) Apparently you can't have both systems charging at the same time. Perhaps you have a switch like this and it is switched off. Mine is located on the passenger side in the back bedroom down low at shin level behind a cabinet door. Good Luck, Jennifer
1987 Newell, 40ft #143
DD 8V92 Silver
2010 Cannondale Tandem
No Name Tandem Mtn Bike
1973 Triumph GT6
2012 AWD 4-door Mini-Cooper
3 Ford Trucks
Just another fanatical motorhead
jmacstack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2011, 05:36 PM   #4
bluesky

Thanks Jennifer

Are you referring to the switch that changes power from shoreline to generator or another separate switch? I have made sure my switch is moved to generator but still no power.
Canada
1983 Newell Classic
1993 SOB
Old 06-18-2011, 05:48 PM   #5
HoosierDaddy

Hi Glenn,
Remember that little Klein tools 115V sensor I told you about? Check the AC wires coming out of the actual generator...If they are dead there is probably a fuse or breaker in the genset control box tripped. If they're hot I'd next go to the gen/shore power switch.
Good Luck,
Dean
1993 Newell 45'#316, 1976 Trans Am 455, 1967 GTO, 1953 Chevrolet 3105 (panel truck),1952 Chevrolet 3600,1969 Airstream Overlander. Always fixing something!
HoosierDaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2011, 06:49 PM   #6
bluesky

Wow, I actually learned something on the coach and fixed the problem! I opened up the box that covers the switch from Shoreline to Generator power. Inside was a recently fried mouse, which I suppose, had shorted out the system. I then found the generator breaker switch/fuse box in the driver lower front compartment (which I didn't know about) and sure enough the breaker had tripped. Flipped her back on and, boom, generator power.

Feels good to be learning about the coach and the on-going challenges. Thanks everyone.
Canada
1983 Newell Classic
1993 SOB
Old 06-18-2011, 10:17 PM   #7
encantotom

thats the best one yet. we would have you changing stuff, checking things out, tracing wires, etc because we like to find things wrong.

how did the mouse taste? it was cooked all the way i would assume with 50 amps.

tom

https://www.newellclassic.com/forum/album.php?albumid=8
encantotom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2011, 11:09 PM   #8
bluesky

... so, what's the best way to keep mice out of our coaches?
Canada
1983 Newell Classic
1993 SOB
Old 06-18-2011, 11:39 PM   #9
tuga

Buy a cat!
Coach #512
2005 Pilot
tuga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2011, 02:26 PM   #10
prairieschooner

try some of those dryer sheets (fabric softeners) for the mice. We have found these help keep the rodent population down up here.

Since you tripped the breaker at the generator you should now go a little further, this is used for Circuit Overload Protection and something cause it to trip. I would start checking the Terminal Connections (with time, vibration and heat these connections can get loose). Make sure that the Shore Power is OFF, that the Inverter is OFF, and now check it again with a Volt Meter. Now go to the Circuit Breaker Panel (mine is in the Bedroom) and start tightening all of the Terminal Connections, next go to the Source Isolation Box and tighten the Terminals at the Relays (my Relay Box is located at the Bay where the Shore Power Cable is located) and finally you may want to check the Terminal Connections at the Circuit Breaker that you found tripped.
1982 Newell 38' (built before #1) 6V92 DD, 5 Speed Allison, 12.5 KW Kohler, Couch used to make into a Bed but I fixed it!
https://newellshowcase.com/thumbnails.php?album=214
2007 Yukon, 1981 CJ7 Laredo, 2002 Honda CRV, 1955 Thunderbird, 1952 Pontiac Sedan Delivery, 1952 Ford 8N, 1958 Airstream, 1959 Glasspar 16' Avalon, Cabin in the Woods........what will I work on next
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
prairieschooner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2011, 03:07 PM   #11
JohnC

I found moth balls very effective in keeping critters away. Also worked on skunks under my sun room and a raccoon sleeping in my boat. Threw some under the porch and after sunset the skunk was spotted carrying her offspring towards our neighbors yard .
JohnC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2011, 03:25 PM   #12
lbrachfe

Always remember that where there is one mouse there are usually more and they love to eat wire insulation. Dryer sheets work better than poison....

Larry Brachfeld
2003 #646

lbrachfe is offline   Reply With Quote