Rock chips on tow Vehicle - Luxury Coach Lifestyles
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-13-2012, 06:30 PM   #1
GringoPhil

Default Rock chips on tow Vehicle

Hey guys, I have noticed a lot of rock chips on the front end of our toad. I am wondering what you others do about this problem? Has anyone tried the guardian by road master? Did it work for you? Is there anything else on the market I should know about? Thanks any feedback helps.

Old 10-14-2012, 12:27 AM   #2
Newell Attack

We use the Road Master Rock Guard. It works very well and have no front end dings from road debris. It takes only a few minutes to install and it stores when not in use on the coach mounted on the hitch behind the towbar. We have no complaints.

Jeff & Leann Shackly
Newell Attack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 01:59 AM   #3
Rudra

I believe the guard is the best way to go. There are people who install a bra on their car or there is a product I believe made by 3M you can stick over your front bumper, head lamps and the front portion of the hood. Goes on like a clear decal. That is all I know.
Brake Buddy
Rudra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 03:58 AM   #4
Randy J

We have wondered about that chip guard protector as well. Is it really a worthwhile product. and what about the cost?

1991 Newell Coach
2011 Jeep Wrangler Sahara

"If I lose today, I can look forward to winning tomorrow, and if I win today, I can expect to lose tomorrow. A sure thing is no fun.”

"Sometimes I pretend to be Normal. But it gets boring. So I go back to being me." lol!
Randy J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 03:19 PM   #5
Chester B. Stone, Jr.

I have been using the Roadmaster Rock Guard for several years, but I added a rubber extension to the bottom on each side to better protect the lower part of the grill. I left it home this summer thinking the Newell had such great mud flaps that I did not need the Rock Guard. Wrong!!!
2001 Newell #579
tow a 2011 Honda Odyssey
1935 Mercedes 500K replica
Chester B. Stone, Jr. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 03:52 PM   #6
Rudra

Chester, would you at all by chance have a picture of your nice setup? Sounds really interesting.
Brake Buddy
Rudra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 09:46 PM   #7
Neweller

Here is the system direct from Roadmaster. Their latest Guardian model below with a description:

Protect Your Towed Vehicle and RV Against Dings and Rock Chips.
The Guardian is crafted from rotationally-molded, high-impact polyethylene to absorb the impact of rocks, gravel and road debris — instead of ricocheting it back at the motorhome. The Guardian can be attached and removed in seconds, and fits all ROADMASTER tow bars equipped with quick-disconnects. Can also be used with a tow dolly to help protect your towed vehicle by using Guardian bracket part no. 2000-8.

If you tow more than one vehicle, the Second Vehicle Kit has all the mounting hardware necessary to swap the Guardian from one vehicle to another.
For maximum protection, use a Tow Defender and a Guardian. Motorhomes kick up rocks, gravel and road debris, but so does oncoming traffic. A Tow Defender/Guardian combination protects your towed vehicle's finish, headlights and windshield against damage from both lanes.
Visit the Tow Bars and Accessories Testimonials page

Now it would be nice to get a first hand photograph of the set-up behind a Newell Coach. Chester or any other volunteers?
If you want to sell, PM or Private Message me. Thanks!

"I know I’m not perfect, and I don't live to be. But before you start pointing fingers, make sure your hands are clean."
-Bob Marley
Neweller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 03:34 AM   #8
NewellCrazy

Here are a couple of photo's of a Protect-a-Tow. They offer something similar to the one Roadmaster makes. As you can see from the pictures of the Protect-a-Tow goes underneath the tow bar as the Roadmaster shows theirs over the top of the tow bar.

If Ain't a Newell, It Ain't Wurt Oonin!
NewellCrazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 02:56 PM   #9
Gax

I have seen both of those guards paired together.
Gax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 04:45 PM   #10
Neweller

Gax, a lot of motorhome rvers do often use the two guards in combination for the best possible protection against rocks and debris. The Roadmaster Guardian I posted above in most cases will be paired with the Roadmaster Tow-Defender here below.

Tow Defender stops rocks and road debris
A bumper-to-bumper blanket of protection! The Tow Defender's all-weather, heavy-duty screen deflects rocks, gravel and road debris down and away, protecting your towed vehicle's finish, headlights and windshield against chips and dings. The vinyl-coated mesh lets air through, keeping it low and over the road.
Fully extended, both Tow Defenders offer 20 square feet of protection, and are held in place with shock-absorbing steel struts.
Once you've reached your destination, roll up the Tow Defender, snap the elastic straps around each end, and store it against the motorhome.

• Quick installation and release
• Lightweight and compact — weighs just 14.5 pounds, and rolls up to four inches in diameter
• Powder-coated steel supports and heavy-duty gas struts for maximum durability, support and cornering flexibility
• Reinforced seams and gussets for added longevity.

Caution
Use an exhaust "turn down" (sold separately) to redirect the engine exhaust, if located directly below the Tow Defender. The Tow Defender fabric may be warped or otherwise damaged if a turn down is not installed, or if other exhausts which cannot be redirected are in close proximity to the fabric.
[TABLE]
[TR]
[TD]
[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD]
Gas struts allow for cornering without causing damage to the Tow Defender, motorhome or towed vehicle.
[/TD]
[/TR]
[/TABLE]

[TABLE="align: center"]
[TR]
[TH="class: style2"]
[/TH]
[TD="class: style2, width: 540"]
Fits all ROADMASTER tow bars with quick-disconnect release systems (does not fit MX brackets)
[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD="class: style2"]
[/TD]
[TD="class: style2"]
Fits Blue Ox tow bars with Blue Ox brackets, Demco tow bars with Demco brackets and all motorhome-mounted ROADMASTER tow bars
[/TD]
[/TR]
[/TABLE]
For maximum protection, use a Tow Defender and a Guardian. Motorhomes kick up rocks, gravel and road debris, but so does oncoming traffic. A Tow Defender/Guardian combination protects your towed vehicle’s finish, headlights and windshield against damage from both lanes.

Jerry, the gentleman who started Roadmaster products a long long time ago, is really great guy. I met him way back when he had his first RV Repair, RV Parts Store and RV Dealership. This guy has brought many great offerings to the RVing table and stands 100% behind his products. You will usually be able to meet this guy still today at any major RV event where they have a representation booth. Great product, great program, just a great company!

"I know I’m not perfect, and I don't live to be. But before you start pointing fingers, make sure your hands are clean."
-Bob Marley
Old 10-15-2012, 06:17 PM   #11
Neweller

I might as well share this information on the Roadmaster Stowaway Product while I'm at it. Another accessory to help make management of your tow gravel guard easier.

[TR]
[TD][h=2][/h] [/TD]
[/TR]
[/TABLE]
[h=2]The 4000-10 Stowaway slides over your tow bar's stinger or ball mount to convert the rear of your motorhome into a storage area for your Guardian rock shield.[/h] The 4000-40 Stowaway also stores the Guardian at the rear of your motorhome. The 4000-40 also has a center cut-out for quick and easy access to most motorhome electrical components. An additional feature id a drop-down collar with a pull-pin design that allows you to easily remove the Stowaway for access to the rear diesel compartment — without having to take the tow bar off!
With a set of optional quick-disconnects (part number 222) both Stowaways will also store either a StowMaster tow bar or a ROADMASTER quick-disconnect crossbar.
[TR]
[TD]4000-10[/TD]
[TD] Stowaway[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD]4000-40[/TD]
[TD] Stowaway with rear access[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD]222[/TD]
[TD] half-set of quick-disconnects to store a StowMaster or quick-disconnect crossbar[/TD]
[/TR]
[/TABLE]

-Bob Marley