Packing your stuff into your coach. - Luxury Coach Lifestyles
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-26-2010, 08:33 PM   #1
GSrdr

Default Packing your stuff into your coach.

Newells sure look great inside, especially when they are empty and clutter free. What about when loaded with the stuff of everyday life?

How do you incorporate a computer and monitor without cluttering it up?

What do you do with kitchen works like a toaster, the coffee maker, and does one really need a popcorn maker, etc...?

How did you cut down on all the bottles and extra stuff that collects on the master bath counter?

GSrdr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2010, 08:40 PM   #2
GSrdr

The most difficult addition to a Newell would have to be the computer, monitor, printer & scanner. Of those, only the scanner could be put away. All those wires. The need for access to the tower and printer.

I am contemplating using a quality HDTV/monitor for computer use. Two birds with one stone. Both uses benefit from a BIG screen.

Old 09-26-2010, 09:15 PM   #3
jwe648

Default It works but

be very carefull .. There is a big difference between HD Monitor/TV & HD TV/ Monitor.. I mistakenly chose the..1080P HD Monitor/TV.....Thanks to Tom.. I was able to make it all work together with my AV system.. And Laptop...

Quote:
Originally Posted by GSrdr View Post
The most difficult addition to a Newell would have to be the computer, monitor, printer & scanner. Of those, only the scanner could be put away. All those wires. The need for access to the tower and printer.

I am contemplating using a quality HDTV/monitor for computer use. Two birds with one stone. Both uses benefit from a BIG screen.
Old 09-27-2010, 01:26 AM   #4
Richard and Rhonda

We use a wicker basket in the bath to catch the loose stuff.

The only thing that stays on the kitchen counter is the coffee pot. The coach won't run without diesel and coffee.

We use a laptop, and keep a small printer in one of the couch drawers if we need a hard copy.

But I think the real key is to carefully analyze what you have to have.

Michael and Georgia might be the best to comment on the fulltime perspective on what you need and what you don't
CoMotion Tandem
Often wrong, but seldom in doubt
Rhonda's chronicle https://wersquared.wordpress.com/
Richard and Rhonda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2010, 03:34 PM   #5
GSrdr

What would be most interesting to see is how to incorporate a desktop computer into the living area of the coach. I, for example, need the power of a desktop computer to manage the movie editing and Photoshop activities I enjoy playing with. There must be a tidy way to incorporate my MacPro and big monitor in a way my wife could accept. It's not like I can do at home by merely closing the door to my office.

Yes, there are sacrifices to be made in the effort to free myself from sticks & bricks life. Reality though indicates that we will all become more, not less, involved with technology.

I have yet to see a successful inclusion of technology into a fulltime RV design. For the most part, even the TV is incidental to the layout of the interior. Yes, Newell offers a "media room" with the use of a Murphy bed in back.

In the limited space available in the public space of the coach, there must be a way to have an uncluttered and comfortable place to entertain guests, a great place to watch HDTV, and an office-like desk for computer use. All three uses.
Old 09-27-2010, 04:03 PM   #6
chockwald

When one makes the decision to fulltime they immediately begin a decision making process that can last several months, if not several years. Downsizing from a couple of thousand square feet (or more) to a few hundred square feet is more of a mental adjustment than anything else. Every decision made has a trade off. We began that process 2+ years ago when we decided to retire in September of 2011. We have been gradually reducing the amount of stuff we keep in the coach. We have found it is difficult, if not impossible to dedicate any single space to a single purpose. If you want your living space to "feel" as big as possible you have to be willing to assign multiple uses to each living space. Each day as your needs change (need to do work, eat, relax, etc.) a few minutes of rearranging things is required. Things not needed must be stowed away, otherwise your home will become cluttered and less liveable, and, therefore, less enjoyable. We are two and a half years into that process and are finding with each long trip that we need less and less stuff, and, in fact, have found we enjoy our time in our smaller, less cluttered life on the road.

***All that being said, we both have laptop computers, we carry an HP printer with us on our travels, as well as a Visioneer sheet fed scanner which runs off the power of the USB port it plugs into. There is a small fold down table in front of the passenger seat, and this is where Elaine sets up to do her work. We have another rectangular table (came with the coach from the factory) that we have adapted to stand over the dinning table when it is in the down position. I'll take pix later and post them so you can see what I'm talking about. This is where I do my work. This works well for our lifestyle, and we don't consider our choices to be spartan in any sense of the word. The scanner and printer must only be plugged in and we are ready to make money...haha! I also have a HP Netbook which I use for our GPS software while in transit.***
2002 Thunderbird Retro
Cannondale Tandem
Cannondale Bad Boy
Cannondale F600
2 Terra Trike Tadpoles
Intense 5.5 mountain bike
ALBUM: https://newellshowcase.com/thumbnails.php?album=213
chockwald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2010, 04:11 PM   #7
GSrdr

A simplified life need not be a spartan life.

There is a way to integrate the three separate uses into the lounge area of the coach successfully. It is just that I haven't seen it yet. By the time we pull the plug on our sticks & bricks existence, I will find the answer.
Old 09-27-2010, 04:22 PM   #8
prairieschooner

Good luck to you,
I am not the "all knowing" but this project may present numerous obstacles. We lived on our wooden sailboat for over 13 years and even though the vessel was named SPARTAN a Spartan lifestyle was the call.
Our TV is also a Monitor and I have been toying with getting a Tower and using it with a Wireless Keyboard and Mouse. I just have found that the Laptop with a small Scanner and the portable Printer (CANNON i70) has been able to do the work needed.
Saying all of this I had another thought, how about using a Bay to house the Electronics? You could most likely then use one of the Television/Monitors???
1982 Newell 38' (built before #1) 6V92 DD, 5 Speed Allison, 12.5 KW Kohler, Couch used to make into a Bed but I fixed it!
https://newellshowcase.com/thumbnails.php?album=214
2007 Yukon, 1981 CJ7 Laredo, 2002 Honda CRV, 1955 Thunderbird, 1952 Pontiac Sedan Delivery, 1952 Ford 8N, 1958 Airstream, 1959 Glasspar 16' Avalon, Cabin in the Woods........what will I work on next
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
prairieschooner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2010, 04:29 PM   #9
folivier

But how would you swap floppies?.....Never mind, had a flashback to the good ole days before Winders.
1998 Newell 45' 2 slide #486
2004 Chevy Silverado Z71
2013 RZR 570LE

"You don't have a soul. You are a soul, you have a body." C.S.Lewis

https://www.luxurycoachlifestyle.com/...php?albumid=14
folivier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2010, 04:31 PM   #10
prairieschooner

Floppies? I have flip/flops.
1982 Newell 38' (built before #1) 6V92 DD, 5 Speed Allison, 12.5 KW Kohler, Couch used to make into a Bed but I fixed it!
2007 Yukon, 1981 CJ7 Laredo, 2002 Honda CRV, 1955 Thunderbird, 1952 Pontiac Sedan Delivery, 1952 Ford 8N, 1958 Airstream, 1959 Glasspar 16' Avalon, Cabin in the Woods........what will I work on next
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Old 09-27-2010, 04:51 PM   #11
GSrdr

The lounge table could be convertible into a desk with a flip-up table top and the computer tower incorporated into the base. The monitor could be the HDTV. Even better the monitor could pop-up like Newell does with the desk positioned TVs today.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	desk-1.jpg
Views:	138
Size:	48.8 KB
ID:	841   Click image for larger version

Name:	desk-2.jpg
Views:	137
Size:	49.4 KB
ID:	842   Click image for larger version

Name:	desk-3.jpg
Views:	133
Size:	78.6 KB
ID:	843   Click image for larger version

Name:	desk-4.jpg
Views:	136
Size:	67.9 KB
ID:	844  
Old 09-27-2010, 05:59 PM   #12
GSrdr

12 volt TV lifts are becoming common.

http://www.e-motionllc.com/TV_LIFTS_s/25.htm

This would work for lifting a monitor.

Below is a link to one idea for an RV computer desk. While insufficient for my needs, it is certainly an option, and includes some good ideas for dealing with peripherals.

http://www.daviscabinets.com/id72.html
Old 09-27-2010, 06:12 PM   #13
GSrdr

The Davis shop guys are clever. The swinging TV and the sliding TV are interesting options.
Attached Images

Old 09-27-2010, 07:42 PM   #14
GSrdr

This option is unacceptable.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Iron.jpg
Views:	138
Size:	24.0 KB
ID:	850  
Old 09-27-2010, 07:48 PM   #15
chockwald

I love flip flops and slip ons, but haven't used a "floppy" in years..........
2002 Thunderbird Retro
Cannondale Tandem
Cannondale Bad Boy
Cannondale F600
2 Terra Trike Tadpoles
Intense 5.5 mountain bike
ALBUM: https://newellshowcase.com/thumbnails.php?album=213
chockwald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2010, 02:03 AM   #16
prairieschooner

I know, I stepped on a pop top and blew out a flip top but haven't used a flop top.

ps go Jimmy
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Old 09-29-2010, 11:11 AM   #17
Brad Townsend

Sounds like you need a trailer!
1988 40 ft 8v92 TA
2012 Toyota FJ Cruiser,1990 Jeep Cherokee 4/WD now a desert rat
25 ft Haulmark trailer
730 watt solar panels, Full timing.
Brad Townsend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2010, 02:03 PM   #18
GSrdr

I have concluded that it will be easy to modify the salon to serve four purposes: 1) A comfortable place to entertain guests; 2) Enjoy a HDTV; 3) Computer work; and, 4) Audiophile stereo.

These are four things I enjoy in my sticks & bricks life, and don't see any reason why they should be given-up when I convert to a fulltime RV life. Especially since each of these uses have been addressed in Newell design in the past.

Here is a photo of coach #1226.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Big-Screen.jpg
Views:	140
Size:	91.2 KB
ID:	852  
Old 09-29-2010, 02:39 PM   #19
jmacstack

The ironing board idea is hysterical! LOL!
1987 Newell, 40ft #143
DD 8V92 Silver
2010 Cannondale Tandem
No Name Tandem Mtn Bike
1973 Triumph GT6
2012 AWD 4-door Mini-Cooper
3 Ford Trucks
Just another fanatical motorhead
jmacstack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2010, 03:31 PM   #20
GSrdr

OK, here is Newell Coach #1226 set-up for two uses. Screens deployed and screens put away. The desk screen could as easily be a computer monitor. Wireless keyboard and mouse, tower inside cabinet, and you have no-wire computing. A requirement of my wife.

The link to the 360 degree tour is here: http://host.newspin360.net/newell/1226/

Newell is kind enough to offer four such coach tours.

With some effort, I can have it all. I'll save my audiophile stereo ideas for after I confirm speaker performance in such a small space.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Big-Screen-1226.jpg
Views:	128
Size:	76.9 KB
ID:	853   Click image for larger version

Name:	No-Screen-1226.jpg
Views:	121
Size:	63.0 KB
ID:	854