where to fill my freshwater tank without checking into an RV Park? - Luxury Coach Lifestyles
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-16-2011, 04:20 PM   #1
prairieschooner

Default where to fill my freshwater tank without checking into an RV Park?

We are getting ready to go back to Ventura and do some dry-camping in a couple of weeks.

I was wondering where to fill my freshwater tank without checking into an RV Park and then I figured that some of you would have good ideas.

Where do you get freshwater when on the road?

Thanks in advance.

1982 Newell 38' (built before #1) 6V92 DD, 5 Speed Allison, 12.5 KW Kohler, Couch used to make into a Bed but I fixed it!
https://newellshowcase.com/thumbnails.php?album=214
2007 Yukon, 1981 CJ7 Laredo, 2002 Honda CRV, 1955 Thunderbird, 1952 Pontiac Sedan Delivery, 1952 Ford 8N, 1958 Airstream, 1959 Glasspar 16' Avalon, Cabin in the Woods........what will I work on next
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
prairieschooner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2011, 04:48 PM   #2
Richard and Rhonda

Some Interstate rest stops have a source.

I used a couple of spigots outside Arby's and Mickey D's. They use them to water wash the parking lot.

Ask the manager of course.

CoMotion Tandem
Often wrong, but seldom in doubt
Rhonda's chronicle https://wersquared.wordpress.com/
Richard and Rhonda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2011, 05:01 PM   #3
Bill & Sonja

Flying J truck stops often have dump and water available. Charge is usually $10. or $5. if you have their RV card. They often have propane, dump, water, air and fuel all in a line for RV's.
Bill & Sonja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2011, 06:53 PM   #4
larryweikart

Drive into the truck fuel station at any Flying J or most any National Truck stop and there is a water spigot. Some have hoses attached but it is a good idea to attach your own. Most of theirs are too short to reach your fill. They don't charge anything for H2O.
1994 Newell #365 w/Corvette, 2002 streetrod 34 ford golf cart, 2009 Smart Car, 1958 Century Coronado, 1965 Cruisers Inc, CAR & BOAT CRAZY! LOVE OUR NEWELL!
larryweikart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2011, 09:10 PM   #5
prairieschooner

All are great ideas so far. There are no Flying Js close by or on the way, here in California most of the rest stops are closed (or at least the ones in So Cal) so my best chance so far would be at a fast food joint.
Next time I am at a Flying J I am going to have to get a card!
1982 Newell 38' (built before #1) 6V92 DD, 5 Speed Allison, 12.5 KW Kohler, Couch used to make into a Bed but I fixed it!
2007 Yukon, 1981 CJ7 Laredo, 2002 Honda CRV, 1955 Thunderbird, 1952 Pontiac Sedan Delivery, 1952 Ford 8N, 1958 Airstream, 1959 Glasspar 16' Avalon, Cabin in the Woods........what will I work on next
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Old 10-16-2011, 10:00 PM   #6
chockwald

Steve, we are planning to go to Ventura in two weeks, too....October 31st to be specific.....what day are you going up?

You could stop by Rancho Jurupa Regional Park and we could get you watered up and then head up to Ventura. Also, at the I-10 and Milliken exit (just west of I-15) is a truck stop (TA - "Travel Center of America) that you could also fill up with water at.
2002 Thunderbird Retro
Cannondale Tandem
Cannondale Bad Boy
Cannondale F600
2 Terra Trike Tadpoles
Intense 5.5 mountain bike
ALBUM: https://newellshowcase.com/thumbnails.php?album=213
chockwald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2011, 11:29 PM   #7
Bill & Sonja

The Flying J / Pilot card can be obtained on line at their web page. It's worth having. 3 cent discount on fuel, 10 cents on propane and can save having to pay before pumping. Some other perks as well.
Bill & Sonja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2011, 03:03 AM   #8
prairieschooner

Clarke,
We will be in Ventura at the Rincon Parkway on 10/25 it is Tricia's Daughter's Birthday so we are planning a BBQ that evening. I would like to get there sooner but alas Tricia has other plans.
PS our Prairie Schooner is back together as of today and it feels good. Can't wait to get back on the road, if I could only quit working soon!!!
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Old 08-04-2012, 06:28 AM   #9
Randy J

Great info! This is a must know for us in the near future when we head out beyond stopping at a family members or friends place. We'd like to do some dry camping so it's good to know where we can fill up our freshwater. The Flying J / Pilot cards anyone can get them? I thought it was only for truck drivers?

1991 Newell Coach
2011 Jeep Wrangler Sahara

"If I lose today, I can look forward to winning tomorrow, and if I win today, I can expect to lose tomorrow. A sure thing is no fun.”

"Sometimes I pretend to be Normal. But it gets boring. So I go back to being me." lol!
Randy J is offline   Reply With Quote