Drapes for 1987 Newell ? - Luxury Coach Lifestyles
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-14-2013, 06:45 AM   #1
ed dezz

Default Drapes for 1987 Newell ?

Hi, just a quick question about drapery for the newells what do most of you guys do when you have to replace ? I have a 1987 newell and some of the drapes are starting to fall apart. any suggestion would be appreciated, thanks

ed dezz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2013, 01:44 PM   #2
Neweller

Ed, there are a few options when it comes to drapes. How are your drapes currently falling apart? Are you just needing to make repairs or are you thinking they need replaced? They are basically the same as house drapes or curtains other than being much shorter and using a glide track. Usually the biggest problem is the little plastic glides come loose and have to be re-sewn on or replaced. I have had backing come loose which is optional and re-sewn that. If the material is more dry-rotted, then it's time to change them out probably, which then opens up some other options.

If you want to sell, PM or Private Message me. Thanks!

"I know I’m not perfect, and I don't live to be. But before you start pointing fingers, make sure your hands are clean."
-Bob Marley
Neweller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2013, 02:05 PM   #3
rellick

I did notice some of the linings were starting to deteriorate but the fabric itself is still good, I didn't want to mess trying to repair them or make new ones, if you like the original fabric they could be relined or the linings could be removed. They could be replaced with new depending on what fabric you would prefer. The easiest would be to just remove the linings. I have the same issue with mine, the fabric is in good shape but the linings should be removed or replaced,
22' 350hp Jet Riverboat
79 Ford F250 4x4
Many others to list
rellick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2013, 02:23 PM   #4
ccjohnson

We had new ones made for ours at Newell.
XL-7
F-350 4X4 Crewcab
F-250 4X4 Crewcab
ccjohnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2013, 03:08 PM   #5
Neweller

I agree with Keith, if the main drapery material is good you can just remove the backing or liner and discard it, we have done this in the past as well. Some folks don't care for liner and others like it. My biggest problem with liner is that it is usually a different material than the drapery or curtain material one can shrink over time while the other doesn't. If you like the color of the drapes and they are saveable than use one of these alternatives. There are so many great ideas as to what to do with window coverings on your luxury Newell coach just like in a home. You can take drapes out of a home and shorten them, add the glide hooks etc...

For those whom don't like drapes, they can do shade or blind conversions......... Tell us what you think you would like and we can help you save some money or help you spend it!

"I know I’m not perfect, and I don't live to be. But before you start pointing fingers, make sure your hands are clean."
-Bob Marley
Old 08-14-2013, 10:36 PM   #6
NewellCrazy

Another option is to replace your drapes with electric shades.

Silhouette window shadings: Hunter Douglas Window Treatments

If Ain't a Newell, It Ain't Wurt Oonin!
NewellCrazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2013, 11:28 PM   #7
prairieschooner

I think that Sean is on the right track but we use both. The shades work well but still need and want better coverage....I sleep in the buff.
I have thought about having the Liner replaced on our Drapes so would appreciate knowing how this works out if someone attempts this.
1982 Newell 38' (built before #1) 6V92 DD, 5 Speed Allison, 12.5 KW Kohler, Couch used to make into a Bed but I fixed it!
https://newellshowcase.com/thumbnails.php?album=214
2007 Yukon, 1981 CJ7 Laredo, 2002 Honda CRV, 1955 Thunderbird, 1952 Pontiac Sedan Delivery, 1952 Ford 8N, 1958 Airstream, 1959 Glasspar 16' Avalon, Cabin in the Woods........what will I work on next
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
prairieschooner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2013, 01:28 AM   #8
ccjohnson

Steve,
We also have & use both blinds & drapes. Both have "black-out" lining. It really helps AC in hot weather.
XL-7
F-350 4X4 Crewcab
F-250 4X4 Crewcab
ccjohnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2013, 02:51 AM   #9
folivier

I think your neighbors would appreciate you having more coverage, Steve. Just saying old buddy!
1998 Newell 45' 2 slide #486
2004 Chevy Silverado Z71
2013 RZR 570LE

"You don't have a soul. You are a soul, you have a body." C.S.Lewis

https://www.luxurycoachlifestyle.com/...php?albumid=14
folivier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2013, 07:07 AM   #11
ed dezz

Sorry for not replying sooner, thanks for the suggestions, maybe the relining is the way to go I like the fabric look .but power shade sounds interesting. on a different note I got 6 house batts., put in today plus a new 2way fridge, next is the solar panels and a in motion sat.dish. There a moto sat dish but I don't know if I can receive canadian broad casting on this unit.I powered the unit up it did its search then it just stowed it self away. So those are the next projects for me. I will try and post some pics.
ed dezz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2013, 02:10 PM   #12
Neweller

Ed, it sounds like the addiction continues onto the next owner of your wonderful Newell coach "You"!. These coaches are like houses, there is no perfect one even if we designed it ourselves from the ground up. We will always find something we would have should have done to it. These coaches are no exception for many of us. We just keep on keeping on with our ideas and improvements etc.... and it sounds like you are no exception. But hey that is how we make it our own.... right? It's a lot of fun and can take away from ones other daily or life stresses. Let the party continue...........

-Bob Marley
Old 08-17-2013, 04:30 PM   #13
rellick

It looks like you have alot of options Ed, im sure you will have every thing how you want in no time!! This is really awsome!! these Newells are very addictive and im glad to have another Newell nut near by!! I think its going to spread around here!!
Do you get alot of people looking and asking about your Newell when your out and about Ed?

22' 350hp Jet Riverboat
79 Ford F250 4x4
Many others to list
rellick is offline   Reply With Quote