Tech Talk Archives 9 - Page 5 - Luxury Coach Lifestyles
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Go Back   Luxury Coach Lifestyles > Forum Archives - closed > Archive Three
Register FAQ Community Today's Posts Log in Click Here to Login

Old 12-14-2012, 03:40 AM   #81
Neweller

A
1080 9/14/2003 5:01:45 AM 9/14/2003 Charles R. Cravens craminc@juno.com Mach 5 Headhunter water pump We are presently adjusting to the Headhunter water pump system and so far I am not truly sold on it, loss of pressure as other demands are made make it difficult. At our next visit to the factory we hope to address this problem. We had two separate 12 volt pumps on our 1991 coach and they were some difference in water pressure. We had our old 3.5 gpm replaced with the new 5.8 gpm units and were happy.

If you want to sell, PM or Private Message me. Thanks!

"I know I知 not perfect, and I don't live to be. But before you start pointing fingers, make sure your hands are clean."
-Bob Marley
Neweller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 03:40 AM   #82
Neweller

A
1081 9/14/2003 7:18:21 AM 9/14/2003 TechTalk Staff TechTalk@newellcoach.com Mach 5 Headhunter water pump We suspect that a pressure switch may be out of adjustment or some other similar problem. We have found the 120 volt Headhunter pump (run through the inverter) to be far superior to the typical 12 volt RV water pumps. The reliability of the 12 volt pumps was always a problem, with short time failures common if the pumps were used for high volume applications, such as to fill a clothes washer or bathtub. In addition, the Headhunter pumps are designed to be used full time. This includes while connected to shore water, when the Headhunter pump acts to increase or decrease water pressure to the set point. Irratic water pressure complaints are not typical with the Headhunter pumps, and therefore we suspect a problem that can be fixed.

"I know I知 not perfect, and I don't live to be. But before you start pointing fingers, make sure your hands are clean."
-Bob Marley
Old 12-14-2012, 03:40 AM   #83
Neweller

A
1082 9/15/2003 12:39:01 AM 9/15/2003 Dennis Thomas computertroll@earthlink.net Cummins Signature Motor Having been an 'over-the-road' driver for over 3 years, I lusted greatly for a tractor with the marvelous new Signature motor. Cummins advertises it is a 1200 HP motor; 600 to go and 600 to stop.

This motor is lighter and has a smaller 'foot-print' than any comparable motor and would be a marvelous motor to push growing 'high-end' coaches demanded by customers.

Does Newell plan on certifying this motor for their coaches? My inquiring mind wants to know.

-Bob Marley
Old 12-14-2012, 03:40 AM   #84
Neweller

Q
1083 9/15/2003 5:46:45 AM 9/15/2003 TechTalk Staff TechTalk@newellcoach.com Cummins Signature Motor Dear Inquiring Mind, We can provide no simple yes or no answer to your question, as there are several issues involved that greatly complicate engine selection at the moment. These include transmission capacity, the implementation of new emissions standards, and application engineering and support problems with Cummins. First, Allison currently limits their transmissions to a maximum of 525 hp and 1650 lb/ft torque. While in theory there are a couple of other automatic transmissions available (Eaton and ZF), they present availability, driveability, and engineering issues that we do not believe have been properly resolved. Without a suitable transmission, a higher horsepower engines is obviously a non-starter. A new set of emissions standards became effective with engines manufactured in October 2002 with more changes due this winter. During this transition, Detroit, Cat, and Cummins have all put their higher horsepower premium engines on the back burner, so availability of 600 hp engines of any brand is a big question while this sorts out. Finally, in addition to our standard Detroit Diesel Series 60 engine, we have already installed Cat and Cummins engines on special order. While the Cat installations have been quite sucessful, we had a lot of difficulty getting application engineering support from Cummins, so coach delivery was delayed and it was several weeks before we could get Cummins to make the final adjustments so the engine would perform properly. Therefore, while we never say never, we would be "reluctant" to accept an order for a Newell that specified Cummins power.

-Bob Marley
Old 12-14-2012, 03:40 AM   #85
Neweller

A
1085 9/16/2003 10:38:30 PM 9/17/2003 Brion J. NMBJohnston@aol.com wood floor We installed some of the "floating" type of flooring in the kitchen area of our '79 coach. We have enjoyed the same results that Mike has. The floor also has a tiny bit of "give" to it and seems to be more comfortable to walk on.

-Bob Marley
Old 12-14-2012, 03:40 AM   #86
Neweller

A
1086 9/17/2003 7:50:40 PM 9/18/2003 David Hardwick david@xen-fx,com Water Heater I need to change the electric water heater in my '77 and was wondering if there was a 10-12 gallon unit available that engine coolant is run through to heat the water as well as the element?

-Bob Marley
Old 12-14-2012, 03:40 AM   #87
Neweller

Q
1088 9/19/2003 8:38:45 PM 9/22/2003 Matt mfhopson@netzero.com Vintage Newell I have been hunting for a coach for over a year now...reading, looking and asking questions...and now I have another I was hoping someone could help with. I am looking at a late 70s vintage Newell, which has been very well maintained and has had its engine replaced as well as solid upgrades on the mechanicals that are important. I was thinking that I would end up in a converted MCI...but this one looks good. What is "market value" on such a coach that is in good shape? Granted they all vary, but is 20's, 30's, 50's, 70's all "fair" if the rig is in good order? Also, I know the older bus conversion (if done right) can take a beating...how well are the late 70s Newells holding up over the years? Can I anticipate another 20 years from this rig? Thanks in advance,
Matt

-Bob Marley
Old 12-14-2012, 03:41 AM   #88
Neweller

Q
1089 9/22/2003 10:40:16 PM 9/23/2003 Matt mfhopson@netzero.com benefits of newell vs. prevost and blue bird Cris,
I am not sure how much "older" you are looking, but I just made a deal on a 1976 Newell. It has been repowered, and re-done throughout - but it is a 1976 Newell. It has that nostalgic look - which I love - but remains built like a brick...outhouse. I have looked at models from almost every company ranging from the sticks and staples, to well done bus conversions. I have been in and around and up and down on all sorts of Bluebirds, and now about 6 Newells (my biggest problem with Newell is that since there are so few out there, it is hard to get a comparison market). Anyways, to me, I had a limited budget ($40k). You are likely much higher - but the math still works the same and quality is quality and support is support. There is no doubt all the rigs you are looking at are "right": in their own way...but in my opinion - a company that spend 30-40 minutes on a buyer asking questions on a 1976 model (who is not the owner), and offers to help and discuss any concerns - anytime - is a company I want to trust. Then put on the grimy clothes and get into it - and there is quality down there. Clean, rugged and built to last. Mine is simpler than yours, but again, same concepts apply.

I started hunting 16 months ago for my coach. I have looked, traveled and wondered about a couple hundred rigs - I ended up in an old Newell. Funny thing, when I first started looking, I saw a 1977 Newell that I loved - but despised the power plant...but said all along, if I every find one of those with the proper combo...and now I have it.

Sorry it is long - but I have gleaned advise from so many who take the time to post - I thought I would reciprocate. If you can afford it - there is no doubt Newell is the way to go. If you cannot afford it - wait a bit and buy an older Newell.
Cheers and good luck,
Matt

-Bob Marley
Old 12-14-2012, 03:41 AM   #89
Neweller

A
1090 9/24/2003 12:42:29 PM 9/28/2003 John Leuenberger jeleuen@cox.net Fuel Mileage Fuel mileage is important to me so here's a question maybe Tech Staff and owners can comment on. Currently have '82 with 6V92TA, 36 ft. Averaging in the 7 mpg range. What could I expect in a '88 40 ft with 8V92 Silver? Wondering what two more cylinders and heavier weight does to fuel economy. Usually run about 60 mph and tow 3500 lbs. Thanx for any comments.

-Bob Marley
Old 12-14-2012, 03:41 AM   #90
Neweller

Q
1091 9/24/2003 10:31:16 PM 9/28/2003 JD BRIDGES jd@arclight-international.com New Lighting Technologies Is Newell going to start exploring and incorporating new, high end, LED and Fiber Optic light sources? Ultra low engery consumption, no heat, tiny fixture profiles, vastly improved color rendering, exceeding long lamp lifes, extraordinary linear flexibility, dimmable, programmable, and color effects are available. This technology could usher in a new wave of ultra cool interior design details and luxuries for Newell's gorgeous interior finishout. Has anyone there explored this? Does Newell use lighting designers as consultants?

-Bob Marley
Old 12-14-2012, 03:41 AM   #91
Neweller

Q
1093 9/27/2003 4:30:58 PM 9/28/2003 Kurt Baumann kdb@nygmatech.com Generator won't turn over/start Quick, I hope question.

My coach's generator isn't starting. I left the inside lights on and the converter turned on for about 12 hours without either the generator or the engine running in the bus. Now, the generator won't start, did just fine the day before.

Any ideas? I have tried starting with merge on, merge off, let it run with the engine for several hours still generator won't even turn over...

??? I am at a loss.

Any help would be great.

-Bob Marley
Old 12-14-2012, 03:41 AM   #92
Neweller

Q
1095 9/27/2003 9:03:05 PM 9/28/2003 Kelly Scott kscott6264@netscape.net Water Heater Just replaced a hot water heater and wanted to go back with the type I had (water heated by engine) I found the unit to be a marine unit. Had some trouble ordering the unit, once an account was established.

If you need specifics send me an email.

Kelly Scott

-Bob Marley
Old 12-14-2012, 03:41 AM   #93
Neweller

A
1096 9/27/2003 9:26:18 PM 9/28/2003 Kelly Scott kscott6264@netscape.net 1980 Newell Coach Would anyone know the price of a 1980 Newell Coach in the year of 1980. Several of us were discussing this the other night, we estimated around $200K. Please put our minds at ease and tell us the list price of a Newell in 1980.

-Bob Marley
Old 12-14-2012, 03:41 AM   #94
Neweller

A
1097 9/27/2003 9:30:06 PM 9/28/2003 Kelly Scott kscott6264@netscape.net Brake Adjustments on '79 Newell 1980 Newell, the front brakes can be adjusted by anyone. If you have the self adjusting brakes on the rear, you should have someone that has knowledge of this type of brake look at them. I did ours at the factory.

-Bob Marley
Old 12-14-2012, 03:41 AM   #95
Neweller

A
1098 9/28/2003 6:45:32 AM 9/28/2003 TechTalk Staff TechTalk@newellcoach.com Generator won't turn over/start Important additional information to help trouble shoot your situation would be the year of your coach, as well as the makes and models of the converter/charger and the genset you have. We
have installed several genset combinations over the years, with different
controls and fuses located in various locations. You mentioned that
your coach has a converter rather than an inverter/charger, so I will take a "swag" and discuss the situation based upon a Kohler 12.5 KW genset with a Triad converter/charger, the typical Newell setup from the mid-1970s until the early 1990s when the Heart Interface inverter/charger and larger, turbocharged gen sets were introduced . If you have the 12.5 Kohler, look just behind the engine
rocker cover for a rectangular box with one or two toggle switches and
a screw out fuse. If the toggle switch does not activate the starter,
unscrew the adjacent fuse and check that. If that isn't the problem, and
you feel comfortable doing electrical trouble shooting, I would first
check for current to the starter and starter solenoid. If you have
voltage at both, with the starter switch activated, I would suspect
the starter. If you lack current to the starter, I would start back
tracking towards the battery. If you have current to the starter, but
not to the starter solenoid with the start switch activated, I would
consider seeking professional assistance, as this system is more
complex and has some built in safeguards.

-Bob Marley
Old 12-14-2012, 03:41 AM   #96
Neweller

A
1099 9/28/2003 7:30:36 AM 9/28/2003 TechTalk Staff TechTalk@newellcoach.com 1980 Newell Coach This question takes your humble editor back on a nostalgia trip, as our purchase of Newell closed on December 1, 1979. Seems like just yesterday. In any case, these were exciting days, and we can recall a great many of the details without needing to open the company archives. In 1980, Newell delivered new coaches ranging from around $130,000 for a lightly-equpped 36 foot model powered by a 225 hp Cummins 555 diesel to about $180,000 for a loaded 38.5 footer with all the bells and whistles powered by a 350 hp Detroit Diesel 6V92TA. A very important piece of Newell history during this period: in 1980, Newell was the ONLY motorhome on the market with rear engine diesel power, a combination introduced in 1971. The innovative rear engine but gas powered FMC was introduced in 1972, was gone by 1978, and was only 29 feet long in a market that was quickly moving to larger models. Mr. Newell's committment over 30 years ago to build his own chassis and body was literally the foundation of the company then and remains so today.

-Bob Marley
Old 12-14-2012, 03:42 AM   #97
Neweller

A
1100 9/29/2003 12:17:15 PM 10/2/2003 Tim tim@useitagainmarine.com benefits of newell vs. prevost and blue bird Thanks for running this subject, I hope you keep it open. I have been inspecting used Newells as other brands and find that to me the Newell is my coach of choice. I understand diesel engines having owned boats for many years and whereas the Detroit two cycle maybe not be the most modern engine out there, it can be repaired by just about anyone. In the used Newells that I can afford, it seems the 8V92 is the engine used. The other detail that may seem minor by some is that all the Newells that I have looked at all had the center entry door, I find that with the center door the non-driver has a better seat and view than the front door model coaches.

-Bob Marley
Old 12-14-2012, 03:42 AM   #98
Neweller

A
1101 9/29/2003 12:37:07 PM 10/2/2003 TechTalk Staff TechTalk@newellcoach.com Generator won't turn over/start Another posibility: Early model Kohler's had a starter reset toggle switch over the fuse panel in front of the passenger
seat. The toggle feels "loose" all the
time, so it doesn't feel like it is resetting. This may be your problem.

-Bob Marley
Old 12-14-2012, 03:42 AM   #99
Neweller

A
1102 9/30/2003 5:16:55 AM 10/2/2003 Kelly Scott kscott6264@netscape.net 1980 Newell Coach Our 1980 has a 3208 Cat engine. Were these also used during that time frame or is this an after market engine? We love our unit, and have installed solar power for remote camping.
It is so neat to pull into a campground at night and watch the crowd gather in the morning to admire and discuss.
Newell does a great job of staying ahead of the times.

-Bob Marley
Old 12-15-2012, 04:16 AM   #100
Neweller

A
1105 10/2/2003 11:55:32 AM 10/2/2003 Jon Kabbe jckabbe@earthlink.net Coach engine heat Question: I have a 1977 coach that doesn't seem to have the boost pump or the switch, so I suspect that it didn't come equipped with the pump. Are my suspicions accurate? The heater doesn't keep up with the cold despite all the values being in the right position. I get heat, just not enough. How much work would it be to add the pump?

-Bob Marley