Tow bar opinions on best brand? blue ox, stowmaster,OR?? - Luxury Coach Lifestyles
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-18-2012, 04:26 PM   #1
David Carrol

Default Tow bar opinions on best brand? blue ox, stowmaster,OR??

i have been searching for info on this, cant find alot of opinions other than stowmaster and blue ox seem to be preferred brands, and are stowmaster brackets easier to mount? can you guys post opinions on best brands and why, what you have, like dont like, and what you would recommend? i have a 2011 Honda CR-V i want to tow behind my Newell.....i have been told the one from stowmaster that stays on the car is best, and it is better to have it stay on the car than on the newell cause that one is stronger>>>>?agree? disagree? thoughts???

I want to buy it this week.

David Carrol

David Carrol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2012, 06:16 PM   #2
David Carrol

along the same lines of the towing, i know i need to get a smaller ball for my bus and the magnetic lights for on top of the car, obviously the hitch for the car, ...AND? i know i need a lock so my hitch doesn't get ripped off or my car and hitch,and am looking into safety cables, which there are a number of options as well, thoughts on those? is that the whole schabang? or am i forgetting something?

Old 08-18-2012, 06:29 PM   #3
The Newell

Hi David,

I have a BlueOx. It mounts on the coach, I chose this setup becuse there is less chance of damage when the newell was parked somewhere than there was with the toad in traffic and parking lots ect. I was very happy with this setup.
The lock I would think is important. It is a good idea to stuff it with grease. The outside may be stainless steel but the innards are capable of rotting away.

Home Base: Riverside, CA

If anyone needs my contact info private message me and I will send it to you.

-Joseph-
The Newell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2012, 06:35 PM   #4
folivier

I use a Demco, slightly less expensive than Blue Ox (which are great also). I prefer having the towbar stay on the coach. Most towbars will attach directly to the receiver, not use the ball. Instead of using a locking pin for the towbar I use a grade 8 (?) bolt with 2 nuts and got it so tight it'll take a big wrench and a lot of grunt to get it off.
You should also consider a braking system for your CRV. I use the Readybrake (they also sell towbars and have a good price for the package).
1998 Newell 45' 2 slide #486
2004 Chevy Silverado Z71
2013 RZR 570LE

"You don't have a soul. You are a soul, you have a body." C.S.Lewis

https://www.luxurycoachlifestyle.com/...php?albumid=14
folivier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2012, 02:41 AM   #5
Chester B. Stone, Jr.

I would seriously consider the Roadmaster All-terrain system available at Camping World. The All-terrain has the advantage of easy disconnect if the towed are is in a bind. Also, Roadmaster InvisiBrake is their latest and I wish I had it. I am towing an Honda Odyssey with the Roadmaster 10,000 lb. All-terrain and their BreakMaster proportionate towed car breaking system. You will need to also obtain their base plate to bolt onto the car. Good shopping.
2001 Newell #579
tow a 2011 Honda Odyssey
1935 Mercedes 500K replica
Chester B. Stone, Jr. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2012, 12:29 AM   #6
David Carrol

Chester,

I checked out the roadmaster all terrain system and wow what a nice setup and I have decided to order one. I also want to thank all the members who replied I appreciate your help as well. Below I have added a couple of pictures of the combo kit and tow bar.

Click image for larger version

Name:	blackhawk_at.jpg
Views:	125
Size:	17.6 KB
ID:	2670Click image for larger version

Name:	combo_kit.jpg
Views:	117
Size:	16.2 KB
ID:	2671