Tech Talk Archives 6 - Luxury Coach Lifestyles
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-13-2012, 06:42 AM   #1
Neweller

Default Tech Talk Archives 6

Q
590 5/23/2002 9:33:06 PM 5/24/2002 John Clark jvclark02@cs.com 84 SLIDE OUT?????????? I saw your original post on the bus conversions BB. I doubt if Newell can/will answer your question due to liability issues. If they say yes and you hire an inept installer and the chassis fails you could come back at them based on their ok. I suggest you visit their factory and see how a Newell is built. It is truly unbeliveable how much steel goes into a Newell frame. I do know they are putting up to four slides into their latest models, but you will have to decide for yourself if the retrofit of a slide out is adviseable. In my humble opinion, if I were going to add a slide out to a motorcoach (I'm not), I would choose a Newell over anything else.

If you want to sell, PM or Private Message me. Thanks!

"I know I知 not perfect, and I don't live to be. But before you start pointing fingers, make sure your hands are clean."
-Bob Marley
Neweller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2012, 06:42 AM   #2
Neweller

A
591 5/24/2002 11:27:14 AM 6/3/2002 Jerry Wivinis wivco@bellsouth.net Newell & DDEC I think 1987 we had last conventional engine 8v92 500hp
installed in our new 1989. I did not trust DDEC. It ran perfect, In our new 1992 coach we had DDEC. (NO CHOICE),
We went through 4 moduals till we got one that would last
more than 25,000 miles. Horible times when they go into thier fits.
Jerry Wivinis

"I know I知 not perfect, and I don't live to be. But before you start pointing fingers, make sure your hands are clean."
-Bob Marley
Old 10-13-2012, 06:42 AM   #3
Neweller

A
592 5/24/2002 11:28:55 AM 6/3/2002 Jerry Wivinis wivco@bellsouth.net DDEC Upgrades? If you got somithing that works dont fix it, DDEC can give you headaches.

-Bob Marley
Old 10-13-2012, 06:42 AM   #4
Neweller

A
593 5/24/2002 11:31:25 AM 6/3/2002 Jerry Wivinis wivco@bellsouth.net 1990 newell coach Give me a call, Jerry Wivinis 352-799-9200 have a half hr.

-Bob Marley
Old 10-13-2012, 06:42 AM   #5
Neweller

A
594 5/24/2002 11:33:03 AM 6/3/2002 Jerry Wivinis wivco@bellsouth.net Check Engine Light I know what your problem is, Call jerry 352-799-9200

-Bob Marley
Old 10-13-2012, 06:42 AM   #6
Neweller

A
595 5/24/2002 11:34:15 AM 6/3/2002 Jerry Wivinis wivco@bellsouth.net Cooling PAINT YOUR COACH WHITE, IT WILL BE 30 DEGREES COOLER!!!

-Bob Marley
Old 10-13-2012, 06:42 AM   #7
Neweller

A
596 5/24/2002 11:36:08 AM 6/3/2002 Jerry Wivinis wivco@bellsouth.net Gas Furnaces Call I will try to help you!
Jerry 352-799-9200

-Bob Marley
Old 10-13-2012, 06:42 AM   #8
Neweller

A
597 5/24/2002 11:41:36 AM 6/3/2002 Jerry Wivinis wivco@bellsouth.net CHECK THESE ITEMS! Be sure arm conecting top of differential carrier is conected to FRAME!! It does fall off because it looses bolts. Also Check Large ring in front of tramsmision with holes for proximity switches for this ring loosens up, and will effect your life. Suggest double nutting.

-Bob Marley
Old 10-13-2012, 06:42 AM   #9
Neweller

Q
598 5/24/2002 6:20:47 PM 6/3/2002 KEN MCCARLK@ROGERS.COM 84 SLIDE OUT?????????? thanks for the honest and quick reply john A
599 6/1/2002 10:03:44 AM 6/3/2002 Art Knapp agkcpa1@hotmail.com Elec Box in Bedroom Closet I have a 1983 Newell.
There are two electrical junction boxes in the bedroom closet on the passenger side wall. The box that is furthest to the rear is warm to the touch and humms.
Can you please tell me what this box is for? Also, is the warm to touch and humming appropriate?
I can e-mail you a photo of the boxes if needed.
Thanks.

-Bob Marley
Old 10-13-2012, 06:44 AM   #10
Neweller

Q
601 6/1/2002 10:30:28 AM 6/3/2002 Art Knapp agkcpa1@hotmail.com battery charger Regarding the merge switch on the dash - does it make any difference whether the switch is merged in the up or down position?
Also, if you wire a new inverter (Heart 458 series) with 3-stage battery charging to the merge solenoid, will the 3-stage charging be effective on both battery banks when in the merge position?
If not, how and where would you connect the battery banks with a battery combiner (such as Pathmaker) or a Heart Digital echo-charge? The objective would be to use 3-stage charging on both banks, but still keep them isolated unless needed for emergency starting.

-Bob Marley
Old 10-13-2012, 06:44 AM   #11
Neweller

A
602 6/1/2002 11:13:02 AM 6/3/2002 Art Knapp agkcpa1@hotmail.com Shunt to measure house current I am having a Heart Inverter installed in my 1983 Newell. I would like to add the Link 1000 or 2000 Battery Bank Monitor. The Monitor uses a 500 amp shunt to measure the current. The instructions for the Monitor indicate that the Negative cable from the House 12-volt system distribution system needs to be attached to one post on the shunt and the Negative battery cable needs to be attached to the other post on the shunt. My house 12-volt distribution system in in the hall closet. There does not appear to be a negative or ground terminal for this panel. There appears to be an existing shunt already installed on the Positive side of 12-volt panel. Perhaps this shunt measures the current as displayed on the analog meter that is located on the cabinet door above the driver seat. Do ytou have any comments or suggestions?

-Bob Marley
Old 10-13-2012, 06:44 AM   #12
Neweller

Q
604 6/2/2002 6:12:06 AM 6/3/2002 Tract critch@infowest.com !988 I am looking at newell with a 903 cums in it. I wonder if someone could give me a ballpark figure on mpg. Also do the make this engine anymore,and what to expect out of the tranny that is of this age.... A
605 6/2/2002 4:28:38 PM 6/3/2002 susan moeller moells@attbi.com solar power What amps are the fans in a Newell '76... I would like to
convert them to run off solar...but cannot get into them to determine the amps so I can convert correct size to a solar generator mounted on top of these two fans. any suggestions?

-Bob Marley
Old 10-13-2012, 06:44 AM   #13
Neweller

Q
606 6/2/2002 4:37:50 PM 6/3/2002 Don Koenig donkoenig@juno.com Generator Failure one phase only With the generator running one phase voltage meter read 30-40 volts while the other showed 120 volts. I think the failed phase was getting feedback voltage from the 240 volt fan motor. I found a burnt through wire in the controller box at the generator circuit breaker. Has anyone else had such a problem? The Hobbs meter shows 2967 hours on the generator. The coach odometer shows 212,783 miles. Could fatigue have weakened the stranded copper wire? I feel lucky it did not touch another terminal on the circuit breaker or the metal of the controller box. I am sending a letter to Kohler. Maybe I will get something from them. Don

-Bob Marley
Old 10-13-2012, 06:44 AM   #14
Neweller

Q
607 6/2/2002 5:52:27 PM 6/3/2002 Rich Farr toptin@aol.com 79 Newell solenoid panel Our 79 Newell has 4 solenoids (mounted in square pattern)inside right rear tail light door (next to radiator). Facing front of coach;
LH bottom = battery merge;
RH bottom = engine start;
RH top = engine stop;
LH top = unknown;
The labels have long since vanished and thusfar, am unable to identify what LH top is used for - could anyone please share that info?
The driver for sudden interest in these solenoids is, that the battery merge solenoid has gone bad (shorted).
When I went to the local solenoid store, it was amazing how many different solenoids there are on the market.
In the absence of part number/s it seemed reasonable to replace with high amp (80), normally open, rated for continuous use. It stopped the short, but fails to energize - so still no battery merge.
Would love to have a solenoid brand name, part numbers and tech specs info for those 4 solenoids.
Thanks in advance for assistance..
Best,
Rich farr

-Bob Marley
Old 10-13-2012, 06:44 AM   #15
Neweller

Q
608 6/3/2002 11:03:09 AM 6/8/2002 Louise Fitzgerald weezieipa@cs.com jake brake I am doing this for a friend who owns a 1979 Newell Coach, but the jake brake isn't working, and he is looking for a place to fix it. He lives in Malvern, PA. He works in NJ. and hasn't had the time to look. Could you give me names or places of where he could fix it. Or suggestions for me,thanks

-Bob Marley
Old 10-13-2012, 06:44 AM   #16
Neweller

Q
609 6/5/2002 10:51:45 AM 6/8/2002 Charles R. Cravens craminc@juno.com Overheating I am having a problem with my engine overheating and the transmission tempurature running near 200 degrees. I have heard of running a line from the water tank to the radiator and given it a blast to cool down the engine. Can anyone tell me how to do this or any related information? Thanks

-Bob Marley
Old 10-13-2012, 06:44 AM   #17
Neweller

Q
610 6/6/2002 7:31:14 AM 6/8/2002 Don Oickle doickle@alltel.net Winter mountain driving... Been a truck driver for 30+ years. Driving on ice should be considered a no no! Company I drive for has the policy "if it's icy go to the motel and get off the road"
Why take a chance of ending up in the ditch or smacking some other vehicle in the rear.

-Bob Marley
Old 10-13-2012, 06:44 AM   #18
Neweller

Q
600 6/1/2002 10:15:13 AM 6/3/2002 Art Knapp agkcpa1@hotmail.com Removal of old inverter I have a 1983 Newell.
I removed the original Honeywell 1500 Watt Power Generator (inverter). I am having a Heart Inverter Installed (Series 458, 3000 watt, 12-volt).
In the compartment where the old inverter was is a plug (male) labeled "Inverter". Several 120-volt outlets in the coach ran from this single plug when the inverter was working.
There is also an "Inverter" On/Off switch located on the dash panel.
The new inverter will be professionally installed using a new 30-amp sub-panel located at the 120-volt main. It will run from one leg of the 2-leg 50-amp main.
Do I need to remove or re-route any of the 120-volt wiring associated with the old inverter?
Thanks for you help.

-Bob Marley
Old 10-13-2012, 06:46 AM   #19
Neweller

A
613 6/8/2002 7:16:50 AM 6/9/2002 Tech Talk Staff TechTalk@newellcoach.com jake brake Unless the coach engine has been replaced, a 1979 Newell is equipped with a Detroit Diesel or Cummins engine. We recommend that the Jacobs engine brake be serviced by an authorized service service shop for the particular engine brand your friend has. Jake brakes occasionally require a simple adjustment, or a wire on the switching system may have come loose.

-Bob Marley
Old 10-13-2012, 06:46 AM   #20
Neweller

A
614 6/8/2002 7:22:49 AM 6/9/2002 Tech Talk Staff TechTalk@newellcoach.com 79 Newell solenoid panel The correct solonoid can be confirmed, and a new solonoid ordered, by calling the Newell Service Department at 1-888-3NEWELL (1-888-363-9355). Yes, we also recommend the somewhat more expensive but much more reliable continuous duty solonoids, particularly for the battery merge circuit. Keep in mind that the battery merge switch on the dash is wired for "off" in the center, and powers up using one bank of batteries in the up position, and the alternate bank of batteries in the down position.

-Bob Marley