Our Trip West - What's available in Tombstone, AZ, Nice Resorts ? ? - Luxury Coach Lifestyles
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-19-2012, 04:43 PM   #1
trentone

Default Our Trip West - What's available in Tombstone, AZ, Nice Resorts ? ?

We will be heading west in October predominately along the I-10 in Arizona and would like to check out Tombstone and any other areas in the vicinity. Any suggestions for descent large size pull-thru’s would be grateful. How’s the dust and wind or weather in the area during October? Heard its starts cooling down a bit since its a little higher elevation. We’ve never traveled through the area with an RV.

trentone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2012, 06:03 PM   #2
ccjohnson

Benson, AZ has some nice fairly new parks. Right on I-10. If you want to venture out a little further, we stayed at a very nice park south of Tucson on I-19 at Amado. It is an old greyhound racetrack that has been converted to an RV park. Brought back a lot of memories for me as I stayed at a KOA that was next door to the active racetrack +/- 1978 when I was working there. It is about 30 miles to Nogales if you want to go to Mexico. You will need a passport to get back into US. Also, I would recommend getting back before dark. October is in cool down mode from the highs of summer. Dust is usually not a problem until late Jan. Feb. & March. Be sure to check out the Sonoran Desert Museum and Old Tucson. A trip to Bisbe, AZ to see the Lavender Pit open pit copper mine might be fun also. Sight seeing trips would be best in a toad.

XL-7
F-350 4X4 Crewcab
F-250 4X4 Crewcab
ccjohnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2012, 10:22 PM   #3
Newell Tank

Bisbee is a great place to check out as CCJohnson noted. Both Tombstone and Bisbee have a lot of history and are short drives off I-10. There are other interesting historical sites in the area as well. And there are several really good RV parks in the area including the ones suggested above. Good luck

Note: I'd stir away from the Stampede RV Park.

When I'm not flying high, I like to be down low in my Tank. Newell Tank that is!
Newell Tank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2012, 01:56 AM   #4
Texas Pete

The others are right, Bisby is a hoot to visit and Tombstone is like a living museum. The Tombtone Territory Campground on Highway 82 is great, 60' foot slabbed lots and waqs brand new a few years ago, conveniant to both towns, and they are members of Passport America.

In everything I have done. I discovered, the only person who limits you is yourself.
Texas Pete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2012, 11:49 PM   #5
trentone

The wife and I are departing Monday for the Arizona desert and plan on taking a week to get to Benson, AZ. Thanks for all the great suggestions they are being used to hopefully better our trip. We will try and document some of the trip as we can muster a wifi connection.
trentone is offline   Reply With Quote