Genny does nothing! have any ideas! - Luxury Coach Lifestyles
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-13-2006, 02:33 AM   #1
Retired Phil

Default Genny does nothing! have any ideas!

Genny won't start up, It was working fine while driving down the road then I stopped shut it down. When I got back in and was ready to hit the road it would not start or do anything.

Any Ideas????????

-Phil & Janice Wickham-
Retired Phil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2006, 04:47 AM   #2
fulltiming

BUMMER!!

By "it would not start or do anything", I presume you mean that it makes no clicking noise and does not even try to turn over.

If this is correct, I would check the switch to make sure it is working first. I presume that both your coach and chassis batteries are OK. If you haven't tried, you might try to start the genset again with the battery merge switch in each of the on positions. Then I would check the genny compartment to see if you are getting any battery power to the genset solenoid and starter when the start switch is activated. The starter solenoid could be out or the battery cables could be corroded. A bad ground is always a possibility.

If it is clicking or trying to turn over, give us more details and we will look at other possible causes.

1992 Newell 43.5' #281
8V92 DDEC-2, HT740
PT Cruiser GT with Remco Transmission Pump
https://newellowner.com/newell-photos/
fulltiming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2006, 05:46 AM   #3
ttikalsky

My generator has a start switch in the bay and in the same box is a fuse. I had the exact same problem, pulled the fuse and cleaned it and the holder. Reinstalled and starts good again.

Troy Tikalsky
1986 Newelll
ttikalsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2006, 06:03 AM   #4
Retired Phil

Quote:
Originally Posted by ttikalsky
My generator has a start switch in the bay and in the same box is a fuse. I had the exact same problem, pulled the fuse and cleaned it and the holder. Reinstalled and starts good again.

Troy Tikalsky
1986 Newelll

Hi Troy,

I checked the fuse and I have an inline fuse holder like the kind car stereo's use. Fuse looks good, doesn't look like there is any corrosion but there are connectors in different areas that appear to have some rust on them.

Phil

-Phil & Janice Wickham-
Old 12-19-2006, 06:07 AM   #5
Retired Phil

Quote:
Originally Posted by fulltiming
BUMMER!!

By "it would not start or do anything", I presume you mean that it makes no clicking noise and does not even try to turn over.

If this is correct, I would check the switch to make sure it is working first. I presume that both your coach and chassis batteries are OK. If you haven't tried, you might try to start the genset again with the battery merge switch in each of the on positions. Then I would check the genny compartment to see if you are getting any battery power to the genset solenoid and starter when the start switch is activated. The starter solenoid could be out or the battery cables could be corroded. A bad ground is always a possibility.

If it is clicking or trying to turn over, give us more details and we will look at other possible causes.

Hi,

I have juice to the starter solenoid, If I hold the throttle open and jump a screw driver on the starter it runs fine but nothing from either of the 2 switches.

Phil

-Phil & Janice Wickham-
Old 12-20-2006, 09:21 AM   #6
fulltiming

Phil, does you genset have a control box in the generator compartment? If so, will it start from there? If not, is the fuse good on the control box? You are either not getting a signal from the remote switches or your starter solenoid has died since you can jump the solenoid and get it to fire.
1992 Newell 43.5' #281
8V92 DDEC-2, HT740
Old 12-20-2006, 06:50 PM   #7
Retired Phil

Michael,

Are you referring to the solenoid on the starter or is there a second remote one? Something interesting to note is that on the last trip with the coach I had used the generator and it died and when I stopped later on the trip and tried to start it, it did nothing and then the next morning I tried it again and it started and since shutting it off after that use it has never started again on its own by either the remote dash switch or the switch on the outside of the control panel down on the actual genset. The fuse test good. I took a volt meter and there is over 12 volts coming out of the fuse. When I check the voltage on the fuse link at the input side the voltage is about 12.8 and when check the voltage on the output side of the fuse I get .233 of a volt, now when I disconnect the output side of the fuse wire from where it bolts up to what I think is some other type of smaller round solenoid the voltage goes to 12.8 volts on the output side of the fuse. Hopes this makes sense. I do the same test with the switch that is called the cranking reset and get the same result. :?

-Phil & Janice Wickham-
Old 12-21-2006, 12:41 AM   #8
fulltiming

Phil, I was referring to the solenoid on top of the starter. From the way you describe the voltage issue at the controller box, you have either a problem at the solenoid on top of the starter or the controller box is going stupid on you. The easiest way to test it is to take the wire from the control box off the solenoid and apply 12 volts to the connection for the small lead on the solenoid. If it still doesn't start, your starter solenoid is shot. If it does start, the problem is likely in the control box BUT my money is still on the starter solenoid based on your tests so far.

1992 Newell 43.5' #281
8V92 DDEC-2, HT740