Intermittent Slide Problem - Luxury Coach Lifestyles
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-31-2011, 04:52 PM   #1
Newell 493

Default Intermittent Slide Problem

I have a 1998 Newell, dual slide. I have an intermittent problem with the rear slide. Occasionally it will not go out or not come in. If I shut the system down and try again later (sometimes several tries) it will work. It is as if the Extend/Retract switch is not working but it is not the switch as I have exchanged it with the front slide switch and get the same results. I have spoken with HWH and have checked everything they suggested but have not been able to locate the problem. The fact that it is intermittent is the real problem. It it would simply quit them we could find the source. My fear is one day I'm going to be out on a trip and ready to leave one morning and the slide will not come in. Has anyone had this problem and can anyone offer any advice. Thanks,

Tom Gelder 1998 Newell Dual Slide #493

Newell 493 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2011, 06:28 PM   #2
tuga

Tom,

I have a 99 Newell w/2 slides and while I have never experienced your problem my first step in solving it would be to call Newell Coach in Miami, OK.

Since you have eliminated the switch, perhaps it a weak "extending" solenoid. You can change the solenoid yourself by following simple steps. First, you can obtain a replacement solenoid from Newell Coach or directly from HWH. I keep 2 solenoids onboard as spares because you never know when they might fail. They are really easy to change.

I will list the steps I take to change a solenoid and you can confirm with Newell Coach if your 98 is the same setup as my 99.

1. Turn ignition key on so that the HWH slide control can be activated; turn the HWH key and wait for the yellow light to indicate it is safe to extend the slide room. Do not extend the slideroom. This step is done to relieve hydraulic pressure from the solenoid.

2. Go to first bay on driver's side and locate the rear (small) bedroom extending slide solenoid - it should be clearly labeled. The nonmenclature "small extend" should be on the label.

3. If you have the T handle type solenoid turn the T handle counter - clockwise until it is opened, then disconnect the wires and using a filter strap or channel lock pliers unscrew the solenoid from the manifold housing.

4. Take the new solenoid and open it by turning the T handle counter-clockwise. This will withdraw the plunger inside the solenoid so that when you screw the solenoid in you won't damage the plunger.

5. Carefully insert the solenoid in the hole that the old one came out of and screw it in hand tight. Then tighten with channel lock pliers or a filter strap until snug.

6. Attach the wires

7. Turn the T handle clockwise until it stops. That's it!

Please check the above instructions first with someone at Newell Coach to make sure I haven't left anything out.

Hope that solves your problem.

One other note, once you install a solenoid the rubber O ring is smashed and that solenoid can not be used again because it will leak. Good luck trying to find a replacement O ring.

Coach #512
2005 Pilot
tuga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2011, 06:34 PM   #3
tuga

Default General slideroom knowledge

Just as additional information, a flat-floor slideroom has 6 solenoids.

Unlocking Solenoid - raises the locking pins
Locking Solenoid - lowers the locking pins
Flat floor solenoid - raises the floor to meet the existing floor
Flat floor solenoid - lowers the floor to go under the existing floor
Extending Solenoid - runs the slideroom out
Retracting Solenoid - runs the slideroom in

A rear slide usually doesn't have the flat floor feature so it only uses 4 solenoids.

Unlocking
Locking
Extending
Retracting

So a 2 slide coach has 10 solenoids; 6 for the front slide and 4 for the rear slide.
Coach #512
2005 Pilot
tuga is offline   Reply With Quote