engine compressor - Luxury Coach Lifestyles
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-27-2014, 12:51 PM   #1
mnhoff

Default engine compressor

Need soom help on this question. We have sold the acreage and will be heading out in oct to full time in our 95 newell. I have done major amounts of preventitive maintanance including changing out all the air bags. My question is the main engine comp? From the paper work that came with the coach nothing has ever been toouched in that area. Should I be exchanging it with a rebuilt??

1995 Newell Coach #372
mnhoff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2014, 01:12 PM   #2
larryweikart

I don't really have an answer to that question but mine decided to take a crap a little east of Kingman Az. in the mountains, at the top, where I sat for 3 days as a friend of mine finally found a replacement in Phoenix and was kind enough to bring it to me. (mine has the series 60) After it was installed we took off the air filter, behind the rear, drivers side, wheel and cut it in half to see if it was clogged up and may have caused the failure. It was clean so it must have just quit on its own. We will never know. I don't remember what it cost, but it wasn't that expensive, so I bought a spare to carry. I have over 300,000 miles on the coach now without any additional failure. I carry quite a few extra parts and those are the parts that seem to never fail.

1994 Newell #365 w/Corvette, 2002 streetrod 34 ford golf cart, 2009 Smart Car, 1958 Century Coronado, 1965 Cruisers Inc, CAR & BOAT CRAZY! LOVE OUR NEWELL!
larryweikart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2014, 10:41 PM   #3
Chester B. Stone, Jr.

The old saying is "don't fix what ain't broke". I do not recall seeing a post regarding a failed engine compressor.
2001 Newell #579
tow a 2011 Honda Odyssey
1935 Mercedes 500K replica
Chester B. Stone, Jr. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2014, 03:53 PM   #4
rellick

Quote:
Originally Posted by mnhoff View Post
Need soom help on this question. We have sold the acreage and will be heading out in oct to full time in our 95 newell. I have done major amounts of preventitive maintanance including changing out all the air bags. My question is the main engine comp? From the paper work that came with the coach nothing has ever been toouched in that area. Should I be exchanging it with a rebuilt??
Mike, I would service your desiccant air dryer this will tell you how much oil your compressor is passing. If its building air good im sure its fine. This should be done on a yearly basis regardless. Here is some info SERVICING & MAINTENANCE OF AIR DRYERS
22' 350hp Jet Riverboat
79 Ford F250 4x4
Many others to list
rellick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2014, 10:58 PM   #5
khpaladin

Prescott Valley

[QUOTE=mnhoff;38123My question is the main engine comp? From the paper work that came with the coach nothing has ever been toouched in that area. Should I be exchanging it with a rebuilt??[/QUOTE]

Mike,

We have a flange mounted Bendix TU FLO501 air compressor mounted on our DD 6V92TA, and have the compressor serviced annually. So for so go, however, as Larry advise they can crap out at any time. So we went to Via Air and got their 12VDC 400C (p/n40040) 33% portable air compressor. Plumbed it into the air system with check valves just before the AD9 air dryer, and installed an 85/105 psi pressure devices inc. PDAH/PDFH high pressure switch between a dash mounted switch and the bay mounted air compressor. Now if my air pressure drops below 85 psi I can turn the dash switch on and the ViaAir compressor will come on and pump up the system to 105 and will continue to cycle like that. We use it now to keep the air system up, if it drops after a week or so of sitting, and this makes it easy to make an emergency park exit should we need to. I also setup the ViaAir compressor to be totally portable to air the coach and car tires. Caveat: the 400C is a 33% operational compressor (15 mins ON/45 mins OFF), for our basic needs this worked well, it goes from 85 psi to 105 in about 9 mins, I will air all 6 x 24.5" coach tires to 105 psi and the car tires to 28 psi within the allotted 15 mins of operation before over heating and blowing the fuse. With all this, there have been times I wish we had got the 100% full time big brother.
https://www.luxurycoachlifestyle.com/forum/members/khpaladin-albums-1981-newell-40-6v92-ta.html
khpaladin is offline   Reply With Quote