Power Steering Pump - Luxury Coach Lifestyles
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-10-2011, 12:19 AM   #1
afrench45

Default Power Steering Pump

Has anyone had there power steering pump go out? A friend of mine who just purchased an 07' and his went out a few weeks ago and he had to stop in a parking lot and have Newell come replace his. My coach now is having some of the symptoms his had so I'm thinking a visit to Newell may come soon. When I first start the coach I can turn the wheel in both directions all the way. However after driving for a few minutes (5 to be exact) I could no long turn my wheels more than 4-6 inches while sitting still. I think it's gotten worse lately because I could not park last night due to the fact I could not turn my wheel. I had to pull completly forward and do it again. When I asked Newell they said either the pump preside needs to be turned up, or I need a new pump

afrench45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2011, 01:04 AM   #2
tuga

My power steering pump used to leak oil when I would turn it to the stop. I had it removed and had the pump re-built. It no longer leaks oil, but it makes a squealing sound when I turn the steering wheel to the stop.

It works fine otherwise.

Coach #512
2005 Pilot
tuga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2011, 09:36 PM   #3
Barry Rooker

When you two are speaking of your "power steering" pump, I assume you're referring to the gear driven hydraulic pump attached to the engine which powers both the steering & the engine cooling fan.
Barry Rooker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2011, 10:09 PM   #4
tuga

Actually, mine is located in the front of the coach. If I remember correctly (it's been 5 years) it is on the driver's side next to the steering column.
Coach #512
2005 Pilot
Old 10-10-2011, 10:18 PM   #5
afrench45

Barry, yes that's the one. I called and talked with Mike Ellis today and the best solution is to replace the pump. Due to the fact it works fine when the coach is cold, it is most likely going out. The pump was $450 and Im going to install it myself (said there was 2 bolts)
afrench45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2011, 10:56 PM   #6
RussWhite

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuga View Post
Actually, mine is located in the front of the coach. If I remember correctly (it's been 5 years) it is on the driver's side next to the steering column.
Tuga,

Not so sure on this one. I think our pump is shared between the fan and the steering and is gear driven as Barry suggests. Do you have Hower Power Steering? There are some component including a hydraulic pump associated with the Howard system that actually just trims the steering against a side load. It does not really provide the hydraulic pressure to do the bulk of the steering. At least that is my understanding.
Russ
RussWhite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2011, 02:34 AM   #7
tuga

Russ,

When I first bought my coach it would leak red fluid when the steering wheel was turned to the stop. The red fluid dripped on the front right side of the coach (I was mistaken about it being on the driver's side).

I had the part that was leaking re-built by a company north of Houston, TX. It may not have been called the power steering pump but it leaked when I turned the steering wheel all the way to the stop. After it was re-built it didn't leak any more but still squeals when the wheel is turned.

Sorry for the description error; thanks for clearing it up.

On another note; my rear AC thermostat is acting up again. When I turn it on the button doesn't make full contact and the unit will not run. After 3 or 4 times trying to turn it on it will finally "catch" and the unit will run. So until I can find a replacement I am just leaving it on and using the temperature setting to control it. If I set the temp up to 90 degrees it is the same as turning the unit off!
Coach #512
2005 Pilot
Old 10-11-2011, 02:37 AM   #8
RussWhite

Tuga,

The A/C is a bit off topic for this thread so I will email you on that one.

Russ
RussWhite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2011, 10:48 PM   #9
Hardtrigger

As some of you know I had the power steering go out on mine two weeks ago and when I called Mike at Newell for a replacement he said to me that they had a couple of issues there with owners coming in with this isuue and the first thing for me to do { I was on a curvy, windy part of Hwy 1 in Oregon } was to pull the filter out and look for the rubber seal that fits between the power steering cap and the housing dropping into the fluid resevoir and getting caught in the supply line to the pump. I pulled off the lid,filter,center bolt, spring and sure enough at the bottom was the rubber seal he was talking about stuck halfway in the supply line reducing flow. Funny thing was I still had another seal between cap and housing so the previous owner or mechanic must of lost the first seal into the bath and put another seal on in for replacement. They are hard to keep from falling in even with the extra effort to keep in place. Any how when I returned home the pump was taken off {only two bolts and three lines} and took the pump down to have it tested and found the relief valve in the pump was worn out and replaced {$78.00} and with that done it was reinstalled and works fantastic ever since! Again Mike at Newell said this was a reoccuring issue and was dead on what to look for especially if you notice quite the reduction in power assistance. Those peeps at Newell are the best and very kind. Hope this helps someone in the future. Rob

Hardtrigger is offline   Reply With Quote