110Volt air compressor upgrade - Luxury Coach Lifestyles
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-30-2008, 05:17 AM   #1
encantotom

hi,

michael cost me 500 bucks. when he was visiting me i listened to his air compressor and it was quiet. mine sounded like a tank. i used my sound pressure meter and mine was at 92db right at the compressor. the specs on a new one is 63 db. so, i bought a new one from grainger, GAST brand and basically a new one of the old one i had that was a dayton.

it is in my front bay with the vents under the drivers area. it is the only thing in that bay in mine. so, i emptied it out, cleaned it up, painted the bay, insulated it with the stuff i used to redo the engine compartment.

then the engineer in me that goes overboard kicked in. the old one was mounted on a 1/4" plastic plate about 9x12" then there was the rubber insulation that they used in the old engine compartment area and everywhere else and then another plate the same size mounted to the bottom of the bay. so, the compressor floated on a sandwich made of two plastic plates and the foam. the foam had deteriorated and was tilted and the compressor was just wired in with wire nuts etc.

so, i put in a waterproof junction box for the electric. i got new 14/3 waterproof lamp cord to wire it all in and a new square d pressure swtich from grainger and new air fittings including a check valve for the new compressor and DOT rated 3/8" air hose and slip fittings.

now for the vibration isolation. i ordered two things for it. a 1" thick vibration isolation pad made by Mason that was 9x12" i sandwiched the two lexan plastic pieces (which i painted to match the bay) with the rubber isolation pad. then i drilled holes through all three pieces in the corners. then i got from grainger 4 isolation bumpers. they are rubber cylinders about 1 inch high and and inch in diameter with bolts sticking out of each end. i bolted one to the top plastic piece and then the compressor to the rubber bumpers. then put rubber grommets on the 4 bolts that holds the sandwiched plastic plates with the compressor on it to bolt the assembly to the bottom of the bay. i moved the location so it would have more room and airflow as well. so, it is double vibration isolated and with the compartment insulated now, it is very quiet inside when the compressor comes on.

way overkill i know, but thats the way i am.

later

tom

encantotom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2008, 07:11 AM   #2
fulltiming

Great job Tom. Looking forward to the photos. Thanks for coming by today.

1992 Newell 43.5' #281
8V92 DDEC-2, HT740
PT Cruiser GT with Remco Transmission Pump
https://newellowner.com/newell-photos/
fulltiming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2008, 02:13 AM   #3
JohnC

Job well done!

JohnC
JohnC is offline   Reply With Quote