Tech Talk Archives 3 - Page 4 - Luxury Coach Lifestyles
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-18-2012, 04:34 AM   #61
Neweller

A
333 6/21/2001 1:58:41 PM 7/2/2001 Carl Tesch ctesch@dailypost.com vaccuum venturi assembly Thanks for your answers. Here is a post script: After trying two new valves which acted the same as the original, i concluded that the valve was manufactured incorrectly. I carefully pried the conver from the valve, cut about 1/2 inch from the spring and reassembled the valve using RTV as sealant. The valve now works correctly. It exhausts air as it is building a vacuum in the reservoir. When the vacuum reaches about 18 in. Hg. the valve shuts off and no more air is exhausted. It will remain in the shut off positon until the heater controls are operated. Vacuum is used by the blend door motors and then the valve goes into action and generates vacuum.
If anyone is interested in this repair, I am willing to share my information.

If you want to sell, PM or Private Message me. Thanks!

"I know I知 not perfect, and I don't live to be. But before you start pointing fingers, make sure your hands are clean."
-Bob Marley
Neweller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 04:34 AM   #62
Neweller

A
334 7/1/2001 4:36:11 PM 7/2/2001 Linda Schneider ltschneider@earthlink.net '79 Newell Water Tank Leaking While traveling last month the stainless steel water tank in our '79 Newell began to leak. After removing the tank we found numerous pinhole leaks on the bottom of the tank along the weld lines for the interior baffles. We've soldered them as a temporary solution and are looking for recommendations on replacing that tank.

"I know I知 not perfect, and I don't live to be. But before you start pointing fingers, make sure your hands are clean."
-Bob Marley
Old 10-18-2012, 04:34 AM   #63
Neweller

Q
335 7/2/2001 10:01:53 AM 7/2/2001 TechTalk Staff TechTalk@newellcoach.com '79 Newell Water Tank Leaking You have a number of alternatives. A metal fab shop in your area can probably duplicate the stainless tank. Probably an expensive solution. You might also have a custom tank made out of heavy sheet plastic. We just did a web search and found this supplier: http://www.all-rite.com/customtanks.html You might also do a search to see if you can find a vendor who has a moulded plastic tank in a size that you can use. From time to time, we have seen ads for vendors offering a variety of tanks in magazines like Bus Conversion and FMCA.

-Bob Marley
Old 10-18-2012, 04:34 AM   #64
Neweller

A
336 7/2/2001 10:53:20 AM 7/14/2001 Kevin Temperton ktemperton@apollotx.com Cooling Can't keep rear of coach cool while driving. I run all three basement units. I have sealed windows, exhuast vents and entry door.Engine compartment insulation is still in good condition. Is there anything eles to try. Help!! Q
337 7/2/2001 11:14:51 AM 7/4/2001 Jim Cordner CRTJIMCORD@AOL.COM Proper Tires? Is the G load range tire adequate for the front tires on my 1977, 36ft. coach?

-Bob Marley
Old 10-18-2012, 04:34 AM   #65
Neweller

A
339 7/4/2001 10:35:39 AM 7/4/2001 TechTalk Staff TechTalk@newellcoach.com Proper Tires? We don't have enough information to give you a yes or no answer. However, to confirm that a particular tire size and load range is adequate, weigh each axle of the coach. Then compare the load of each tire (front axle weight / 2, rear axle / 4, and if so equipped, tag axle / 2) to the tire manufacturer's load rating. The maximum load @ maximum inflation psi is printed on the tire sidewall. Maximum loads at lower inflations are available from the tire manufacturer, often on the internet, or from tire dealers. Keep in mind that inflation is critical. Tire load capacity drops off quickly at lower inflation levels, as it is the air inside the tire that is supporting the vehicle weight. Lower inflation levels lead to excessive sidewall flex, high internal tire temperatures, and possible heat-related failure, most commonly, sudden tread separation at interstate speeds. Once the correct tire is installed, the three primary rules of tire safety are inflation, inflation, and inflation.

-Bob Marley
Old 10-18-2012, 04:34 AM   #66
Neweller

A
340 7/5/2001 6:59:04 PM 7/7/2001 Perry Burney paburney@bellsouth.net Alarm In the bedroom there is an alarm switch, also one outside next to the entry door, automotive type switch. My owners manual has no explaination for its operation, can you help?

-Bob Marley
Old 10-18-2012, 04:34 AM   #67
Neweller

Q
341 7/6/2001 7:39:37 AM 7/7/2001 James Franze jfranze@att.net Power Tech - diesel gen set I have a 1978 Newell with a PowerTech generator which was retrofitted at some point. I am looking for a PowerTech generator service center in Texas. Houston is optimum location.

-Bob Marley
Old 10-18-2012, 04:35 AM   #68
Neweller

Q
343 7/6/2001 6:20:52 PM 7/7/2001 Gene Morace morace2000@yahoo.com Surge on cruise Walter, I don't have a solution, but I have the same problem with the cruise on my 87 Wanderlodge. I will keep your email address so if I come across a solution, I'll send it to you. Is your cruise a "Bendix"?

-Bob Marley
Old 10-18-2012, 04:35 AM   #69
Neweller

344 7/7/2001 5:18:11 PM 7/7/2001 TechTalk Staff TechTalk@newellcoach.com Power Tech - diesel gen set We suggest you contact PowerTech directly, 352-365-2777, for their recommendation for an authorized servicing dealer in the Houston area. You are correct in that the original equipment generator in a 1978 Newell was a Kohler. PowerTech was founded in 1989. The 20 KW PowerTech diesel generator is currently installed in all new production Newells. The standard version is mounted in the front as has been traditional for Newell generators, with the option of a new, exceptionally quiet side-mounted generator in a PowerTech hush box installed inside of a Newell hush box.

-Bob Marley
Old 10-18-2012, 04:35 AM   #70
Neweller

A
345 7/9/2001 12:04:32 PM 7/9/2001 Raul Cortez raulcortez@aol.com Alarm Hey Perry, Here's the way mine works. It works two different ways, one is when you are going to be away from the coach and the other is when you are going to stay in the coach. If you are going to be away, you must first "flip" one of the inside switches (TechTalk staff note: use only the switch in the galley to arm the alarm, as the bedroom switch is a "panic alarm switch" to be used to call for help or scare away potential intruders in an emergency), then you will go outside your coach and with a key, turn on the alarm. My key switch is mounted on the first bay door from the front of the coach on the passenger side. Once you have turned the key to the "on" position your coach alarm is on, and will sound the horns if someone opens the door while you're away. Once you return to the coach you will of course be required to turn the key switch back to the "off" position before openning your door. If you would like to use the alarm while you are in the coach, I believe that you will first have to switch one of the inside switches (Tech Talk staff: the galley switch) to the "off" position. Once you have done that, then you will go outside and turn the key switch to the "on" position. Then once you are inside with the door locked you are okay to switch the alarm switch to "on". You can do this at either the switch by your bed or the switch above the microwave in my coach (TechTalk staff: once again, use only the galley switch). I hope this helps. If someone knows of an easier way, or a different way, please let me know too. Raul

-Bob Marley
Old 10-18-2012, 04:35 AM   #71
Neweller

A
346 7/9/2001 3:39:36 PM 7/9/2001 TechTalk Staff techtalk@newellcoach.com 79 STeering box adjustment We recommend you have the steering box adjusted only by a qualified, experienced heavy duty mechanic. The 1979 Newell is equipped with a very common Ross steering gear. Any good truck service department can handle this job.

-Bob Marley
Old 10-18-2012, 04:35 AM   #72
Neweller

A
347 7/9/2001 3:44:51 PM 7/10/2001 TechTalk Staff techtalk@newellcoach.com Surge on cruise You will find a ring and sensor on the drive line. We have found that "surging" can typically be eliminated by adjusting the sensor as close as possible to the ring without touching.

-Bob Marley
Old 10-18-2012, 04:35 AM   #73
Neweller

A
348 7/10/2001 1:09:02 PM 7/10/2001 Raul Cortez raulcortez@aol.com Any other Newell Coaches in San Antonio? I was just wondering if there are any other Newell owners in the San Antonio, Texas area? Please email me, anyone with a Newell Coach nearby?

-Bob Marley
Old 10-18-2012, 04:35 AM   #74
Neweller

Q
349 7/10/2001 3:26:29 PM 7/10/2001 TechTalk Staff techtalk@newellcoach.com Any other Newell Coaches in San Antonio? Want to know your fellow Newell owners? Anyone owning a Newell, regardless of age of coach or from whom purchased, is encouraged to join the Newells Chapter of FMCA. There is no cost. All members are furnished with a chapter directory of members, including a state by state list, that is updated periodically.In addition, you'll receive the Newells News newsletter several times a year, and if you wish, participate in Newell rallies. If you own a Newell and have not registered with the Newells Chapter, call Cindy Watson at 1-888-3NEWELL and she'll send you the application.

-Bob Marley
Old 10-18-2012, 04:35 AM   #75
Neweller

A
350 7/11/2001 12:59:48 PM 7/14/2001 Tuga Gaidry tuga@cajun.net California's length limit on motorcoaches I have a 45' Newell and I am planning a trip to San Fransico in late July. I am told that California does not allow a motorcoach over 40' to travel on state roads. I would appreciate any information regarding this matter.

-Bob Marley
Old 10-18-2012, 04:36 AM   #76
Neweller

Q
351 7/13/2001 8:28:15 AM 7/14/2001 Leon Henson lebe007@swbell.net 1969Newell coach I purchased a 1972 Newell Coach two weeks ago.
One owner, 81,000 miles, however it has a 390 Ford Industrial. Already had one gen/set (Onan) 6.5 go bad.
Trying to decide to stay with Onan or a replacement. The interior and exterior in very nice condition. Having a lot of fun with it.

-Bob Marley
Old 10-18-2012, 04:36 AM   #77
Neweller

A
352 7/13/2001 6:57:06 PM 7/14/2001 Clarence Braun cjbraun@trans-video.net Waste Tank Reading.... I am not familiar with Raul Cortez's question on 3/28/01 on by-passing the holding tank with the gray water. Would you send me instructions on the procedure and how it works? Thanks

-Bob Marley
Old 10-18-2012, 04:36 AM   #78
Neweller

A
353 7/14/2001 5:24:16 AM 7/14/2001 David Carpus DSCarpus@aol.com Surge on cruise I had the same problem and I tracked it down to a bad wire on the sensor at the transmission. I replaced it with the closest thing I could find which was a Freightliner part, but it took several adjustments after driving to find the best position for smooth operation.

-Bob Marley
Old 10-20-2012, 06:55 AM   #79
Neweller

A
354 7/14/2001 10:16:59 AM 7/14/2001 TechTalk Staff techtalk@newellcoach.com Cooling This is a complex question! According to our records, your coach is a 1986 model. A diagnosis is difficult without more information. However, broadly speaking, you could be experiencing a higher heat load (from exterior temperature and engine heat radiation) than the system is capable of cooling adequately or at least to your satisfaction, or the system may not be operating up to specification due to some malfunction or need for periodic service. The first, easiest step is to clean any filters, typically located at the return air grills. A dirty filter can drastically decrease the performance of the a/c. Once the filters are clean, check the temperature of the air at the return air grill and then at the outlets. You should see a minimum of 15 degrees F. difference, more preferably 20 degrees plus. If you do not see this much differential, the system is not functioning properly and you should see an a/c serviceman. If you have 15-20 degrees differential, it would still be a good idea to have an a/c serviceman give your system a "tune-up." Once you have verified that the system is functioning to specification and it is still not offering enough cooling for the back of the coach, you'll need to make design changes to improve performance. The first thing we'd recommend would be to add two or three inches of insulation to the engine "dog house," the floor between the engine compartment below and the bedroom and cabinets above. Probably the easiest way to add insulation would be to lay precisely cut rigid foam on top of the dog house, although, depending on the location, you might need to carpet over it for appearance sake. If you want to finesse the issue and really kill the snake, you might consider installing a new roof air conditioner over the rear area. Unless you are quite skilled and versatile, this is not a do it yourself project, but a competent RV technician could cut the hole, run power, install the unit, and finish off the roof and ceiling. Replacement parts have become a challenge for these older a/c units. You can check on specific parts availability by calling Newell parts at 1-888-363-9355. Please have available as much information as possible for any parts request, including make and model of the central air units (there are data plates on the units with this information).

-Bob Marley
Old 10-20-2012, 06:55 AM   #80
Neweller

A
355 7/14/2001 11:31:14 AM 7/14/2001 TechTalk Staff techtalk@newellcoach.com California's length limit on motorcoaches For many years, California has had a regulation on their books (we would call it obsolete, but we don't really have a say) that limits vehicle length, with certain exceptions (not including private motor homes or private buses) to 40 feet. When the luxury coach market started selling over-40 foot coaches several years ago, virtually no one (manufacturers, dealers, California law enforcement, etc.) was aware of this regulation. Several other states had similar (obsolete?) regulations, but there was no enforcement. Most of the other states revised the problems regulations, and those that did not have not been issuing citations. However, a couple of years ago, the California bureaucracy, to their horror, became aware that there were all these "illegal" over 40 foot vehicles traveling the highways of their fair state, endangering their citizens and creating carnage on the highways. It was as if the Red Menace of the '50s had returned. Great confusion ensued. However, the good news is that it quickly dawned on the enforcement side in California that, as a practical matter, issuing citations is not an answer. California citizens would be unfairly penalized, and lucrative out-of-state tourism would be discouraged. The motor home industry has been working hard to get the remedial legislation, AB67, through the California Assembly and signed by the governor. Last year, for reasons still unclear, after the Assembly passed AB67 unanimously, the governor vetoed it. This year, AB67 has again been working its way though the legislative committee structure and it is hoped that it will come to a vote and pass within the next few weeks. There is guarded optimism that the governor will sign the bill this time. In the meantime, 45 foot coaches are driving around California with only the very occasional ticket issued. We know of two Newells stopped this past year. One did not receive a citation. The other owner was ticketed and fined, so he wrote to the judge, who graciously suspended the fine. Bottom line: go to California with your 45 Newell, be careful not to be pulled over for speeding or some other infraction, but if you are stopped, smile sweetly and say "yes, sir/ yes ma'am," and "no, sir / no ma'am" to the officer. And enjoy the Golden State while you are there.

-Bob Marley