Is Newell worth the money ? - Luxury Coach Lifestyles
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-02-2012, 08:03 PM   #1
PHANTOM

Default Is Newell worth the money ?

The DW and I have always liked the Newell Coaches, over the other high end coaches because we felt that they where more of a working mans high end coach if you can call these working man's coaches. Now realistically unless you happen to come up with the latest craze for the teenage set or are a computer wiz who writes a new wonder program etc we working people will never be able to purchase a new Newell Coach at $1.8Mil . There are some deals in the pre-owned market if you watch carefully.

My question is:

Is the money spent on a 2002 Newell at say $250K going to give me the same value as buying a new or newer Box Coach of the same price. Newells are hand built from the ground up including frame, body, and all components to each unit. The BOX Coach uses a commercial chassis, standard in house slides, cabinets, etc.

After 3 years which will still hold its value over the other? Is there any way to tell? The craftsmanship and workings of a '95 Newell that we where in the other day was fantastic. The coach felt like it was new driving it and the cabinets and everything else was still top notch when compared to some of the newer higher end BOX Coaches (Newmar, Fleetwood, Tiffin, American ETC).

Any advise would be appreciated.

Morton

PHANTOM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 10:41 PM   #2
Chester B. Stone, Jr.

I have owned six motorhomes, all the way from a high-brow Winnie to a Country Coach. I would rather have my used 2001 Newell than any coach I have ever owned for the same money. My new Country Coach had 75 serious warranty items and took 18 months to make it reliable. And Newell is still in business.

2001 Newell #579
tow a 2011 Honda Odyssey
1935 Mercedes 500K replica
Chester B. Stone, Jr. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2012, 01:22 AM   #3
speedingsport

Top notch, is top notch. I think you already know the answer to your question.
speedingsport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2012, 02:04 AM   #4
NewellCrazy

Keep in mind your on a Newell Dedicated Forum and IMO Yes a Newell is worth every penny.

If Ain't a Newell, It Ain't Wurt Oonin!
NewellCrazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2012, 02:17 AM   #5
express1

What was the question?
express1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2012, 04:10 AM   #6
prairieschooner

These posts are on the verge of spam.
1982 Newell 38' (built before #1) 6V92 DD, 5 Speed Allison, 12.5 KW Kohler, Couch used to make into a Bed but I fixed it!
https://newellshowcase.com/thumbnails.php?album=214
2007 Yukon, 1981 CJ7 Laredo, 2002 Honda CRV, 1955 Thunderbird, 1952 Pontiac Sedan Delivery, 1952 Ford 8N, 1958 Airstream, 1959 Glasspar 16' Avalon, Cabin in the Woods........what will I work on next
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
prairieschooner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2012, 05:33 AM   #7
Neweller

Morton, welcome to the forum.

This is an ongoing question by many in search of a high end coach. You have a legitimate question and I will answer it in my opinion. If I was someone in the market for a quality built coach, Newell would be on my short list of choices. If your talking used there are a couple of other manufacturers whom made quality coaches but are now out of business, and as Chester mentioned above, Newell is still in business. $250,000 for a 2002 Newell in great condition would be a good price. You will see them priced above and below this range. You just have to do some serious reading here on this forum to make a better determination. You need to list out the things most important to you regarding must haves and what not on your coach. It is possible that the big box coach fits your RVing world better. For me after owning a Newell, the only other options are the quality bus conversions or maybe a later model Wanderlodge. Find your budget, what fits your needs, and if a quality used coach makes more sense than a new box coach with warranty? Cars and trucks are the same way, some guys will take a used Dodge Ram diesel with a 100,000 miles before they would take a New gas engine model with warranty because it fits the desired need.

Anything else, just ask away. Buying a coach is a very big decision, so just do your homework until it makes sense.
If you want to sell, PM or Private Message me. Thanks!

"I know I’m not perfect, and I don't live to be. But before you start pointing fingers, make sure your hands are clean."
-Bob Marley
Neweller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2012, 03:07 PM   #8
lbrachfe

After 4 coaches, nothing comes close to my Newell
lbrachfe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2012, 06:28 PM   #9
stewart33

Think of what you need and what you can get for the money. Write it all down. Way it out and then you'll have an answer.
stewart33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 01:14 AM   #10
77newell

Welcome, the most important thing is to find a coach you enjoy spending time in when it's parked and moving. Any coach that doesn't meet that criteria regardless of who built it is not a good choice.

My particular Newell is 35 years old and it amazes me that stuff that old still works. There has been a steady diet of repairs as things age out like upholstery, the steering gear seals, air bags and the like. But image that that the original microwave still works and the generator still starts right up, well OK it needs a little ether assistance in really cold weather but after that it works just fine. While the new ones are longer, wider and much heavier I'm convinced they are even better than mine.
2007 civic toad
77newell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 02:58 AM   #11
MrE

Is Newell worth the money? Yes! Take a test drive in a newer high end BOX coach and let the owner/salesman drive. Go lay down on the bed and listen to all the noises. About the only noise you'll hear in the Newell is the sweet sound of the diesel purring down the road, very soothing and actually promotes sleep in my opinion. All the rattles and squeaks you hear in the box coach are only going to get worse and most of them can't be fixed because of the coach construction. For my money, I'll buy used quality to brand new crap any day of the week.

1986 40' Dog House #86
0 hp 8V92 Allison HT740
Soon to be 500hp ISM with ZF 6 Speed
MrE is offline   Reply With Quote