Tech Talk Archives 1 - Page 6 - Luxury Coach Lifestyles
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Go Back   Luxury Coach Lifestyles > Forum Archives - closed > Archive Three
Register FAQ Community Today's Posts Log in Click Here to Login

Old 12-07-2012, 12:50 AM   #101
Neweller

A
184 12/10/2000 9:45:40 AM 12/10/2000 TechTalk Staff TechTalk@newellcoach.com Pre-Owned Newell Coach We have a fairly liberal standard for approving the postings offered for TechTalk. Every message is reviewed, edited, hopefully accurately for grammer and spelling, and most are approved for posting. We won't post any disparaging comments, items that are probably not of any interest to Newell owners and friends, nor items that are very specific (such as, "What are the paint numbers for my coach?") that should really be handled personally by the participant with the Newell service or sales department. We doubt that we would post a "for sale" notice, but we think the "I'm looking for a Newell..." post was okay. A good, active resale market in preowned Newells benefits all Newell owners as well as the company. And after all, the Newell sales force is also free to respond directly to the poster, and something tells me that they already have! What do some others think of this issue?

If you want to sell, PM or Private Message me. Thanks!

"I know I知 not perfect, and I don't live to be. But before you start pointing fingers, make sure your hands are clean."
-Bob Marley
Neweller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 12:50 AM   #102
Neweller

A
186 12/11/2000 12:48:29 PM 12/11/2000 larry weikart larryweikart@aol.com Pre-Owned Newell Coach I agree! I believe it benefits all and keeps the market active and honest. If and when we decide to sell our 94, it would only be to purchase a new one.

"I know I知 not perfect, and I don't live to be. But before you start pointing fingers, make sure your hands are clean."
-Bob Marley
Old 12-07-2012, 12:50 AM   #103
Neweller

A
188 12/14/2000 5:03:59 PM 12/15/2000 Linda Schneider ltschneider@earthlink.net Rivet Heads The rivet heads on our 1977 Newell are coming off in places. Is this normal?

-Bob Marley
Old 12-07-2012, 12:51 AM   #104
Neweller

Q
189 12/15/2000 11:05:47 AM 12/15/2000 TechTalk Staff TechTalk@newellcoach.com Rivet Heads Rivets can fatigue over time and break. When this occurs, we recommend that you drill the rivet out and install a pop rivet in its place. (A drive rivet will not work because
you can't hold the bucking bar behind the rivet). The rivet head should be covered with a cherry cap. Replacing broken rivets is a relatively easy and quick procedure, although if the area is painted, repainting will be required for a finished, original look.

-Bob Marley
Old 12-07-2012, 12:51 AM   #105
Neweller

A
190 12/16/2000 7:38:53 AM 12/17/2000 Don Koenig donkoenig@juno.com Air Bags for 1976 Coach Before we purchased our 1984 Newell I converted a 1974 bus into a motor home. If your hobby is improving an older vehicle, do not expect to get more then half of your $$$ back. I did not. When a friend saw my 1984 Newell after he had put over twice what I paid for the 1984 Newell into a 1970 GMC, he was not to happy. He tried to sell his very nice 1970 converted GMC earlier this year, asking $150,000. Many lookers but no offers at the Bus Conversion Convention.

-Bob Marley
Old 12-07-2012, 12:51 AM   #106
Neweller

A
191 12/17/2000 7:44:16 AM 12/17/2000 Harry Wuner wharvonw@juno.com Hot Water in Shower What year Newell? In My 82 Newell I could only get hot water. I checked the shower valve and it was OK. Taking off the valve cover in the closet, I found on each side of the shower valve there was a spring loaded (check?) valve. I cleaned the valves and now all works great. I guess one could remove the spring and plunger and get the same results.

-Bob Marley
Old 12-07-2012, 12:51 AM   #107
Neweller

A
192 12/17/2000 8:13:26 AM 12/17/2000 Harry Wuner wharvonw@juno.com Engine/Transmission/oil/temperature What temperatures are normal? Both the engine and tranny temp.on my 1982 6V92 turbo just come off the peg. Putting both the sensors in boiling water and they show about 215 or so. Going down the road, the engine temp shows about 160. On a hard pull, the tranny. temp comes up a little but not the engine oil temp. Is this OK? The engine cooling will rise with a hard pull and hot temp has gone to 220.

-Bob Marley
Old 12-07-2012, 12:51 AM   #108
Neweller

Q
193 12/18/2000 7:21:48 PM 12/20/2000 Harold Olsen hcole@heartland.net Tag axle switch on dash The switch on the dash labeled "tag" is a three position switch, up, down, and center (neutral). Does pressing up fill the air bag or release air in the bag? After pressing to the up position, the switch returns to the center. What occurs then?

-Bob Marley
Old 12-07-2012, 12:51 AM   #109
Neweller

Q
194 12/20/2000 12:16:30 PM 12/20/2000 TechTalk Staff TechTalk@newellcoach.com Tag axle switch on dash The "tag axle" switch controls the air pressure in the tag axle suspension air bags. Pushing the button toward the "up" side increases air pressure, adding load to the tag axle and taking load (weight) off of the drive axle. It can be used to bring the drive axle load under the limit imposed on the Ohio turnpike. Pushing the button "down" relieves air pressure from the tag axle suspension. This adds weight to the drive axle, increasing traction while driving on mud, snow, or ice. Combined with the driver controlled locking differential, the coach will "walk out" of situations where otherwise it would be stuck and require an expensive tow. If the switch is a momentary type, returning to the center after activation, the air pressure will return to normal when the switch is released. Later model coaches use a positive switch with an audible alarm when activated rather than a momentary switch.

-Bob Marley
Old 12-07-2012, 12:52 AM   #110
Neweller

A
195 12/24/2000 7:33:52 AM 12/24/2000 otto burleson otto@spinn.net Locking Differential On this board, reference has been made to a "driver controlled locking differential." Is this a standard item? How do you engage the locking feature? I do not have any identified control.

-Bob Marley
Old 12-07-2012, 12:52 AM   #111
Neweller

Q
196 12/24/2000 9:54:06 AM 12/24/2000 TechTalk Staff TechTalk@newellcoach.com Locking Differential A driver activated locking differential has been standard on Newell coaches for many years, as best I recall, since the late 1980s. When a coach is so equipped, a switch labeled "DIFF LOCK" is located on the instrument panel. In situations such as driving on ice, snow, or mud where traction becomes a problem, activating the differential lock prevents one set of rear duals from freely spinning while the opposing set simply sits inert. On three axle coaches, traction can be further enhanced by pushing the "TAG AXLE" switch to the down position, lowering air pressure in the tag axle air bags which transfers weight to the drive axle. As far as we know, Newell is the only motor coach manufacturer to include a locking differential, although we believe that this is a very worthwhile feature considering the less than ideal driving conditions that can be encountered on occasion.

-Bob Marley
Old 12-07-2012, 12:52 AM   #112
Neweller

A
197 12/24/2000 12:18:00 PM 12/25/2000 otto burleson otto@spinn.net Locking Differential for staff: my coach is 1988 deliv in march 1988 to: Robert Hedman
Vin: 1N9912X84J10111011 - Does not have switch on dash labeled Dif Lock.
Thank you for your response.

-Bob Marley
Old 12-07-2012, 12:52 AM   #113
Neweller

A
198 12/26/2000 6:22:51 PM 12/28/2000 Dean 67gto@bright.net Suggestions on engine replacement I can relate to the lack of power. I have a 1978 Newell with the Cummins 555. I have considered repowering as well. I think we would need to change the final drive ratio if we go to an inline 6 cylinder. The larger diesels don't run as high an r.p.m. as the 555. If you check with a diesel engine rebuilder you may be able to find a rebuilt 555 priced fairly reasonably. Sell the 555 powered Newell to a flatlander and trade up! I'm curious, how many miles did you get out of that motor?

-Bob Marley
Old 12-07-2012, 12:52 AM   #114
Neweller

A
199 12/27/2000 6:53:50 PM 12/28/2000 LOWELL wasarose@earthlink.net ENGINE TORQUE 2001 COULD YOU PLEASE TELL ME IF 1650 FT LB TORQUE IS AVAILABLE
ON THE NEW COACHES?

-Bob Marley
Old 12-07-2012, 12:53 AM   #115
Neweller

Q
200 12/28/2000 10:02:30 AM 12/28/2000 TechTalk Staff TechTalk@newellcoach.com ENGINE TORQUE 2001 The 1650 ft. lb. torque Detroit Diesel Series 60 engine became stanard equipment in the spring of 2000, replacing the 1550 ft. lb. version. This 100 ft. lb. increase became available because Allison introduced an uprated version of the World Transmission. Previously, the transmission was restricted to a maximum of 1550 ft. lb. torque. The new transmission also carries a 5 year / 200,000 mile warranty instead of the previous 2 year warranty. The new engine continues to be rated at 500 hp @ 2100 r.p.m. Therefore, while the power output at the red line has not changed, the increased torque provides noticably improved response at mid-range engine speeds where the engine is most often operating. We would like to use the 1800 ft. lb. torque, 550 hp version of the Series 60, but the Allison engineers get red faced and start hyperventilating every time we talk about it.

-Bob Marley
Old 12-07-2012, 12:53 AM   #116
Neweller

A
202 12/30/2000 1:18:09 PM 12/30/2000 TechTalk Staff TechTalk@newellcoach.com Engine/Transmission/oil/temperature All of the temperatures you reference appear normal, with the possible exception of the engine temperature stabilizing at 160 F, which sounds a little low. We would expect to see more like 180 F. You might have the thermostat tested to see if it's opening too soon, although even so, this would not be much of a problem.

-Bob Marley
Old 12-07-2012, 12:53 AM   #117
Neweller

A
203 12/30/2000 8:51:16 PM 1/1/2001 Bob Scott thescotts@proaxis.com. skylight gaskets We have a 1986 40 foot with three skylights. The gasket seal on two of these have been damagaed and are leaking. These were manafactured by Kenco. I have been told that this company is no longer in business. Short of installing new lights does anyone know who might sell replacement gaskets? Thanks for any help you can give me.

-Bob Marley
Old 12-07-2012, 12:53 AM   #118
Neweller

Q
204 12/31/2000 7:13:56 PM 1/1/2001 Harry Wuner wharvonw@juno.com Engine/Transmission/oil/temperature Thanks for your answer, I,ll just keep my eye on the temp. Also people need to know how IMPORTANT it is to keep the radiator clean.

-Bob Marley
Old 12-08-2012, 03:52 AM   #119
Neweller

A
205 12/31/2000 7:18:02 PM 1/1/2001 Harry Wuner wharvonw@juno.com Length & Year of Coach Good idea, Don. I know all Newells are made to order, but all the lengths are something else. I know yours is a 40 and mine a 39. What else is there out there?

-Bob Marley
Old 12-08-2012, 03:52 AM   #120
Neweller

A
206 1/3/2001 5:41:37 AM 1/3/2001 Dick Quirk quirkrjiii@cs.com Engine/Transmission/oil/temperature I have also had temp problems with my 6V92T (in a retrofitted 78 coach). Last summer it ran up to almost 210 on the mountain stretches in AZ. So far, Detroit has changed coolant, and I've changed radiator cap. Weather makes it hard to assess. If the problem comes back, I expect them to check the thermostat. Any other steps you recommend?

-Bob Marley