Getting Our Newell Coach Retail Ready - Luxury Coach Lifestyles
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-03-2012, 10:11 PM   #1
ritoss

Question Getting Our Newell Coach Retail Ready

We would like to know what others would suggest we do to prepare our coach for sale?

We know that looks have a lot to do with it and we plan on getting it detailed.

We will try to sell it ourselves first, if all fails we will consign it with a RV dealer.

Should I change the oil and oil filter?

Do I need to worry about any scratches on the exterior? Should we have them touched up?

Should we get the premium wash and have it waxed too?

There is a small snag in one of the blinds, should I have it replaced?

I'm not sure how much I should put into it to get it ready?

Anything else?

Any help would be great...

Thanks!!
Carl and Robin
Old 10-03-2012, 10:32 PM   #2
FJGuard

To fix or not to fix!

I don't know if anyone is ever 100% sure on what they should put into a coach when getting it ready to sell. You should make sure all inexpensive repairs are taken care of. You can leave the expensive repairs and services for the new owner but be sure to let any potential buyers know of any major repairs that may be needed in the future.

Most importantly, I would say use your best judgment, you want to make financial sense of the repairs needed. If you’re likely to recoup the cost of the repairs through a higher sales price, then yes it would be a good idea if you went ahead with all the necessary repairs, major and small.

Good luck with selling your rig!

FJGuard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 11:21 PM   #3
folivier

Not sure if I would change the oil, most buyers would want to have an oil sample run and it doesn't show much with fresh oil. Now if you have a series of tests to show prospective buyers then I'd change it.
1998 Newell 45' 2 slide #486
2004 Chevy Silverado Z71
2013 RZR 570LE

"You don't have a soul. You are a soul, you have a body." C.S.Lewis

https://www.luxurycoachlifestyle.com/...php?albumid=14
folivier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 11:28 PM   #4
folivier

Not sure if I would change the oil, most buyers would want to have an oil sample run and it doesn't show much with fresh oil. Now if you have a series of tests to show prospective buyers then I'd change it.
As far as fixing other things it's like selling our house. Our realtor walked through pointing out things we should do to update so it'll sell faster. When she got to about $50,000 worth I was ready to run her out the door! If we were keeping the house maybe we'd do some updates, but not to sell it. Same with a coach, fix anything major that could be a deal breaker but don't worry too much about smaller things. It could quickly add up.
The way the coach market (just as real estate) is today people are looking for bargains. They are willing to do some updates, and probably would anyway, but don't want any problems mechanical, wood rot, etc.
Nothing worse than putting lipstick on a pig....it's still a pig.

So what you selling?
1998 Newell 45' 2 slide #486
2004 Chevy Silverado Z71
2013 RZR 570LE

"You don't have a soul. You are a soul, you have a body." C.S.Lewis

https://www.luxurycoachlifestyle.com/...php?albumid=14
folivier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 11:48 PM   #5
MrE

Carl and Robin,

Your profile doesn't give any clues as to what year Newell you're preparing for sale or what price range you're looking at receiving.

If it's a 2012, I would suggest that you make everything possible look perfect.

I personally wouldn't do a cheap touch-up to cover scratches, had that done to me and now I have spots that clear coat has turned yellow and is starting to check. If they can be buffed out I would deal with them, you might want to check with a local auto detailer, they know how make paint come to life.

Again on the curtain, if it's a newer coach you might want to replace it, but it would probably save you money and build buyer confidence if you point it out to them and let them make the decision.

If your prospective buyers are traveling a distance to look at your coach you will have to assume that their expectation is that they will be able to drive their new coach home without incident. They will probably also be expecting it to be fully self contained, meaning they will have water, heat, electricity, flushing toilet, working shower, working refrigerator, etc.
1986 40' Dog House #86
0 hp 8V92 Allison HT740
Soon to be 500hp ISM with ZF 6 Speed
MrE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 12:10 AM   #6
speedingsport

Buyers are looking for a good value for their money, not a perfect coach. Most will accept normal wear and tear on a used coach, I would provide maintenance and service records and any receipts if you have them. That is always a good selling point showing you've taken great care of your Newell.
speedingsport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 01:46 AM   #7
ritoss

We sold our Newell! Wanted to thank everyone for the kind words of advice. You have our eternal gratitude!

Carl and Robin