Project completed - Luxury Coach Lifestyles
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-29-2011, 10:57 PM   #1
rheavn

Default Project completed

My coach was originally built with a Weiser electonic remote deadbolt--keyless entry. It didn't work when I purchased my coach. I wanted to get it working. Weiser locks had been sold to Kwikset since the unit was manufactured. They said the circuit board was bad & a new one was not available. Kwikset no longer manufactures a deadbolt with a remote, they only make one with a touchpad. I found a company, Morning Industries, that manufactured an electronic deadbolt with two remotes--Model #RF-01sn. Home Depot could get one as a special order for $143. I found them on the net from $85 to $200. I purchased the lock from a company I could return it to if it was not "Newell quality". Once I got the new lock I realized I needed an extension kit as the door was wider than 1 7/8" so the mounting plate screws were too short. I called the company in SoCal & for $15 they sent me the kit. It arrived in four days. Replacing the old lock with the new one was a breeze. It was R & R. No new holes, nothing to change. The lock runs on four AA batteries so no wires to run. The only thing I had to do was add a flat washer & star lock washer as the mounting screws were too long when I put in the extension kit. From the outside you just see a normal deadbolt & on the inside is the metal electronic box. There is an opening handle on the inside that lock or unlocks the lock without using the remote. It works without involving the electronics.

For anyone who would like an electronic deadbolt that operates with a remote this lock will work as long as your door is not thicker than 2 1/4". There are no wires to run or holes to drill so replacing a non electronic deadbolt with this unit is simple. I read a thread where some folks were worried of being locked out, but this lock always works with the keys from the outside or handle on the inside even if the batteries are removed or dead.

A project for someone who has too much time on their hands.............

Old 12-04-2011, 05:29 PM   #2
rheavn

Default Follow-up critique

I'll post a follow-up since keyless entry is being discussed. I installed the electronic deadbolt in January. I used the system to lock the coach exclusively through all years use. I never had a single problem and didn't even replace the batteries! A great alternative for some one who has a dead bolt on their door and wants keyless entry. Looks just like a original deadbolt. Good quality.

Since I am storing my coach for the winter I removed the batteries and tested them and they were only down about 10% and the lock was still functioning. Lock design also always works with the key.

Hope this helps.....................