Zip Dee slide toppers - Luxury Coach Lifestyles
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-16-2010, 01:09 PM   #1
rheavn

Default Zip Dee slide toppers

When deploying my Salon slide the awning roller came in contact with the slide side wall. When it did the roller stopped and pulled the awning arm pivot bracket out of the slide side wall. The issue is a spacing problem. The roller must be spaced away from the slide side wall so contact does not occur. This is an old problem that Newell's answer was to glue small rubber pieces into the arm H-bracket to space the roller out from the slide side wall. When mine failed I found one of Newell's rubber spacers on the ground and one partially still glued, but out of position. I feel a better fix is to use the existing hole in the awning arm H-bracket. I used a 1/4"x1/2" bolt, lock washer & nut to let the bolt head space the arm & roller out. It still allows one to lock their awning arms and slide awnings. The bolt can never move out of position. I removed the rubber pieces from the bedroom slide awning H-brackets & replaced with the bolts before I have an issue. Since my repair over a week ago the slide toppers are now working properly.
I was able to reattach both awning arm pivot brackets using the toothpick method. When I get home I will have to find some 1/4" stainless steel rivets & rivet tool to make the repair permanent. Any one have a source for 1/4" SS rivets & a rivet tool?

Hopefully this helps someone avoid an unpleasant issue................

Old 11-16-2010, 02:47 PM   #2
HoosierDaddy

Good people to do business with:

http://www.bylerrivet.com/

Dean
1993 Newell 45'#316, 1976 Trans Am 455, 1967 GTO, 1953 Chevrolet 3105 (panel truck),1952 Chevrolet 3600,1969 Airstream Overlander. Always fixing something!
HoosierDaddy is offline   Reply With Quote