Hello All - Luxury Coach Lifestyles
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-20-2013, 09:16 PM   #1
DbleH

Default Hello All

Hi, I'm new to the site and my reason for signing up is my interest in older well built Coaches. I am currently considering a 1985 Newell that has been stored most of it's life. The Coach is like a time machine forgotten. I'll need your expert advise on how to make it road worthy! When I asked the daughter of the previous owner IF he ever used it she said "very little he didn't want to get it dirty"! My thoughts are quite different and feel it should be enjoyed! Proud parent of one and Gramps to 2.

DbleH
Mechanicsville,Va.

DbleH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2013, 09:22 PM   #2
NewellCrazy

Welcome to LCL DbleH,

What more can you tell us about this Newell ? The more info the better when it comes to helping direct you in making it road worthy.

Welcome again,

Sean

If Ain't a Newell, It Ain't Wurt Oonin!
NewellCrazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2013, 09:29 PM   #3
stewart33

[h=2][/h]Welcome!! You've come to the right place. This forum and it's members are a great big help. Good Luck!
stewart33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2013, 09:30 PM   #4
Neweller

Welcome DbleH to the LCL site and forum! Very glad you have stumbled across us. Sounds like you may have access to a gem. An '85 is the last year of the Classic design prior to what is referred as the wide-body. It more than likely has a 8V92 Detroit. Those are a wonderful coach of course like everything else if it received proper maintenance etc.. More than likely if it has been sitting regardless of being inside, it will need tires, possibly airbags if they are dry-rotting. Basically from sitting you get what is referred to as "Lot Rot" But it may not be nothing compared to one stored outside for years. Sounds like it should be very clean in and out, but will need a good once over to check out the systems and the POI I just mentioned.
If you want to sell, PM or Private Message me. Thanks!

"I know I’m not perfect, and I don't live to be. But before you start pointing fingers, make sure your hands are clean."
-Bob Marley
Neweller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2013, 09:40 PM   #5
jWolfe

Welcome to the forum!
Old 04-21-2013, 12:10 AM   #6
DbleH

Thanks for the welcomes, I stumbled on a 85 Newell that may have been sitting for over 10years or more. In a privately owned airplane hanger. Pristine outside with lots of chrome, no fading on the inside but as new 85. Is a coach of this nature worthy of the costs to repair. It may have been resting for over 10 yrs or more. Whats your best guess as to fair market value?
Thanks,
Bob
Old 04-21-2013, 12:27 AM   #7
NEWELLWIZARD

Welcome Bob! Wow sitting over 10 years or more? That's quite a while sounds like the owner didn't want to get it dirty or put a mile on it. How many miles does it have on it? I wouldn't have a good guess but Ken (Neweller) is the guy he knows his stuff on the fair market value.
NEWELLWIZARD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 12:31 AM   #8
NewellCrazy

Contact Neweller he can help you establish your value.

Sean

Old 04-21-2013, 12:40 AM   #9
DbleH

I don't have the exact but I know its low. When I first saw the coach I didn't think the family wanted to sell it so I just took a quick look at a vintage coach..... I was there to look at much smaller antique items. Maybe I can fill in more holes soon.
Bob
Old 04-21-2013, 12:43 AM   #10
rellick

Welcome and congrats on finding a hidden gem!! hopefully he at least started it up once in a while, I know when piston rings sit in one spot for too long they will leave a mark on the cylinder wall. I would run the engine like it was a new one to break it in again, take it easy for the first while. How many miles are on it?
22' 350hp Jet Riverboat
79 Ford F250 4x4
Many others to list
rellick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 12:48 AM   #11
NewellCrazy

Bob,

Was maintenance performed over the last 10 years? You will probably have to replace tires if the DOT date is expired. What is their asking price if you don't mind me asking.

Sean

Old 04-21-2013, 01:13 AM   #12
chockwald

If it has been sitting for 10 years there are a lot of things you will need to do before you even get to the price. It will more than likely need new batteries, and it will, for sure, need new tires. Unless something was added to the fuel when it was stored 10 years ago to stabilize the fuel you may have to have what is left in the tank pumped out. You will need to change the fuel filters, have the tank checked for algae, have samples drawn of the oil, coolant and transmission fluid and sent to a lab to be checked. You will need to have the fan belts changed, the air bags and the air system checked for leaks, and all the running gear lubed. Mechanical things need to be used, and run, and if they are not, as in this case, there can be a lot that has gone wrong. If everything checks out (oil, coolant and transmission fluid) and you can get it running you can probably count of spending $10,000+ on problems that may have developed while it was sitting for 10 years....that is after you have spent a couple thousand on tires, and a few hundred more on batteries. If you have to replace the fuel, then probably another $700 to fill the tank. The same applies to the generator.

I'm not trying to scare you off, just being realistic. I don't think you would want to spend anymore than $15,000, and plan to put at least that amount again into the coach. If you are mechanically inclined you can do a lot of this yourself, and that may make this coach a good deal for you.

I would rather buy a coach with 200,000 miles on it that has been driven on a regular basis.
2002 Thunderbird Retro
Cannondale Tandem
Cannondale Bad Boy
Cannondale F600
2 Terra Trike Tadpoles
Intense 5.5 mountain bike
ALBUM: https://newellshowcase.com/thumbnails.php?album=213
chockwald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 01:19 AM   #13
DbleH

I don't know the exact mileage yet but I don't think any maint. has been done on it either. The guy that owned it has a vast collection of cars and his interest seemed to point in that direction. He wanted the coach so he bought it as it seems to replace his first coach (a Revcon) that was parked next to it. I had a brother in law that had a ford lightning truck that had 810 miles on it when he passed... I guess some ppl just enjoy owning vehicles, not using them. By the way the Revcon is also a time machine.
Old 04-21-2013, 01:30 AM   #14
Cheri Smith

It sounds like the owner bought it and cherished it but he should have used it more. If you can get it for the right price sticking some money into it isn't necessarily a bad thing. If you have the money to do so then go for it. We bought a classic Newell coach it had miles on it, was driven and used plenty and we had to stick money into it too. We still have a lot of upgrades or changes we'd like to make to our coach. Money going into it is apart of owning a coach. No matter what age and how much a coach is used or not it will need work done too it. But I'm sure you know that. If this coach doesn't work out for you there are plenty listed here in the Coach/Bus Buyer and Seller Exchange or NewellClassifieds.com Again welcome! If you end up with this 1985 Newell or another Newell it's always nice to have another Classic Newell owner!

1979 Newell Classic
Cheri Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 01:32 AM   #15
DbleH

I could do some of the work myself, However I'm usually working on the daily drivers around here. About a 33' difference. Your suggestions make the 85 on ebay look like a great deal......Thanks
Old 04-21-2013, 01:41 AM   #16
speedingsport

Welcome good to have you. The 1985 Newell on ebay looks to be a great coach clean, updated and maintained.
speedingsport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 03:20 AM   #17
Neweller

Bob, knowing some other particulars would be a great place of knowledge to start. I could write you a book on what may or may not be relative and still miss something important without having further knowledge as to some other particulars. It may be kind of a diamond in the rough or a costly mistake. I agree with most of the comments here but do have some additional thoughts but need to know a lot more details. I have fired up engines that have been sitting much longer than 10 years, but I also followed some added steps prior to doing so. Many of those steps have already been mentioned by others here. How many used engines being sold by salvage yards that haven't been stored for upteen years before they are even sold? Many engines set for years before the buyers market is even there.

The coach on ebay is owned by the Wilson's, it is a fantastic coach and if it was a wide body I would buy it in a heartbeat for myself and throw one slide in it on the drivers side, trick out the paint, and hit the road with it.

Just another nickels worth.
If you want to sell, PM or Private Message me. Thanks!

"I know I’m not perfect, and I don't live to be. But before you start pointing fingers, make sure your hands are clean."
-Bob Marley
Neweller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 03:37 AM   #18
The Newell

Hello & Welcome Bob,

I hope you are enjoying the Newell Forums, You have just found and joined the friendliest & most informative website pertaining to Luxury Coach Ownership on the web.

Welcome Again!

Joseph

Home Base: Riverside, CA

If anyone needs my contact info private message me and I will send it to you.

-Joseph-
The Newell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 02:08 AM   #19
RHibbs

Welcome to the site. My opinion only (there are plenty of kind folks here more experienced than me) if you want to keep and enjoy a coach, you have a wonderful start. If you decide a coach doesn't fit your lifestyle or budget then turn and burn. If properly stored and maintained, this Newell will outlast everyone reading this. These machines were built with the finest materials and craftsmen. If you don't have a need for it, I hope it finds a home as pleasant as the hanger,