Basement A/C replacement with Roof units - Luxury Coach Lifestyles
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-27-2010, 07:42 PM   #1
doug86newell

Default Basement A/C replacement with Roof units

I have an 86 Newell 40'. I have had problems with the breakers tripping on the basement units when the coach was used last. I know there must be something better than 25 year old a/c's. Is there a good replacement or should I go with roof airs?

Doug

doug86newell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2010, 07:54 PM   #2
folivier

I'm sure you know they are obsolete. I recently upgraded my basements to the new control board and digital thermostats. But my problem was caused by the boards. I've looked at other options but there doesn't seem to be any a/c's that are sized the same to fit in the basement areas. You might try to find a local a/c guy that doesn't mind taking the time to locate the individual parts. My a/c guy serviced my 3 last year and said he thought he could locate a compressor or condenser that might fit. But that route would probably be more expensive than roof airs.
If you decide to replace them with roof airs you might contact Steve Mcgown, he replaced his a couple years ago. Good luck.
Also check your wires at the compressor, evaporator and control board and make sure the connections are secure. Can't remember who but remember reading recently someone had a problem with the connections.

1998 Newell 45' 2 slide #486
2004 Chevy Silverado Z71
2013 RZR 570LE

"You don't have a soul. You are a soul, you have a body." C.S.Lewis

https://www.luxurycoachlifestyle.com/...php?albumid=14
folivier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2010, 09:28 PM   #3
Richard and Rhonda

It twas me, the one who has become OCD about AC connections.

Check all your electrical connections, including the ones inside the control boxes.

Next hang an ammeter on the different circuits for evap blower, condenser blower, and compressor. Let us know what each is pulling for amperage.
CoMotion Tandem
Often wrong, but seldom in doubt
Rhonda's chronicle https://wersquared.wordpress.com/
Richard and Rhonda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2010, 03:22 AM   #4
RussWhite

My '99 has two basement airs with two compressors each. Using a clamp on ammeter I determined that the second compressor on each unit was never operating. Each board had a different problem, but they were easily fixed and now I have wonderful cooling and stay at whatever temperature I desire in this very hot and high humidity summer. I had to order several more relays than I needed to meet minimum quantity requirements and would be glad to assist anyone that needs their board repaired. I have the schematic and a test rig I cobbled together to verify correct operation before installing the board. This assumes, of course, your fans and compressors are in good working condition, which luckily, mine were. Russ
RussWhite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2010, 12:20 PM   #5
doug86newell

Default Thanks

Thanks,

I have a friend in the A/C business so that will be a good project for when things slow down for him. I am not in a hurry this season. I have lots of other things to do on the coach. I hope to solve this problem.

Doug
doug86newell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2010, 01:14 PM   #6
folivier

Great, keep us informed on this project. I'm sure someday I'll have to replace mine also.
1998 Newell 45' 2 slide #486
2004 Chevy Silverado Z71
2013 RZR 570LE

"You don't have a soul. You are a soul, you have a body." C.S.Lewis

https://www.luxurycoachlifestyle.com/...php?albumid=14
folivier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2010, 12:45 AM   #7
GORDON HUMMEL

Currently in the process of adding my second roof air. The 3 original units continue to work, but being a fulltimer, I wanted to address the problem at my leisure. The spot I picked for the bedroom roof air is across from the main ac panel. I had to re-route 11 ac wires & 9 dc wires & lower the ceiling for the new ductwork but it will be worth it.

One advantage of having 3 units in the front is the ability to cool it down much more quickly. The new front roof air with ducts going to the driver & passenger, really make traveling muck more comfortable.

1991 41.5' #266
8v92
2009 Pontiac Vibe GT Toad
Fulltime on the road
GORDON HUMMEL is offline   Reply With Quote