MPG Increase using Lucas Fuel Additive?????????? - Luxury Coach Lifestyles
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-22-2013, 02:24 PM   #1
WildCat

Default MPG Increase using Lucas Fuel Additive??????????

A mechanic buddy told me whatever I decide to purchase I should run Lucas Fuel Additive and that is will result in a 2-3 MPG increase. I am very skeptical which is why I'm asking. Has anyone used this product in their motor home? If so, did you get a MPG increase? If yes, how many?

WildCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 06:39 PM   #2
77newell

If it were possible to get a 2-3MPG increase from using an additive like this every trucker in the country would be using it and the major trucking companies would mandate its use. None of that is happening. That isn't to say the advantages of using it may not outweigh the cost, but it the proposed mileage increase simply isn't real.

Now, you don't have to take my word for it, it will do no harm to your engine so try it and see what happens. It's a low cost investment and you will find out if there is a big time return or not.

2007 civic toad
77newell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 11:10 PM   #3
WildCat

77Newell,

You know that was exactly what I thought when I was told that. I agree if it were possible to achieve an additional 2-3 MPG everyone would use it so for that I have to pass on its use once I acquire a coach.

I sure do appreciate your reply,

WildCat
WildCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 04:33 PM   #4
NewellCrazy

FUEL ADDITIVES

Detroit Diesel engines are designed to operate satisfactorily on a wide range of diesel fuels. The
regular use of supplemental fuel additives is not required or recommended. Some additives may
be beneficial in addressing temporary fuel quality problems, but should not replace proper
fuel selection and handling.

WATER CONTAMINATION

Some fuel additives provide temporary benefit when fuel is contaminated with water. They are
not intended to replace good fuel handling practices. Where water contamination is a concern, the
fuel system should be equipped with a fuel/water separator that should be serviced regularly. In
marine and other environments where microbe growth is a problem, a fungicide such as Biobor®
JF (or equivalent) may be used.

Microbial activity may be confirmed with commercially available
test kits. Follow the manufacturer's instructions for treatment. Avoid the use of fungicides
containing chlorine, bromine or fluorine compounds, since these may cause fuel system corrosion.
When small amounts of water are present, supplemental additives containing methyl carbitol or
butyl cellusolve are effective.

Follow the manufacturer's instructions for their use. The use of
isopropyl alcohol is no longer recommended due to its negative effect on fuel lubricity.

FUEL ADDITIVES THAT ARE NOT ALLOWED

The following fuel additives are NOT allowed:

Used Lubricating Oil – Detroit Diesel specifically prohibits the use of drained lubricating oil in
diesel fuel. Used lubricating oil contains combustion acids and particulate materials, which erode
injector components, resulting in loss of power and increased exhaust emissions. In addition,
the use of drained lubricating oil will increase maintenance requirements due to filter plugging
and combustion deposits. Refer to Section 3.14, “Waste Oil Disposal and Rerefined Oils,” for
recommendations on proper used oil disposal.

If Ain't a Newell, It Ain't Wurt Oonin!
NewellCrazy is offline   Reply With Quote