Howard center steering - Luxury Coach Lifestyles
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-28-2007, 12:51 AM   #1
Bryon Raymond

Default Howard center steering

My Howard system is relatively new but in-operable. I'll make an assumption that the inverter has to be in play for the sys to operate because the compressor motor must draw 110/120 V. When the eng is running, the inverter light on the dash is lit. Is it automatic? Also, I'm not getting a ready lite on the Howard controls. There is an inverter rocker switch on the instrument panel that has no effect on the dash inverter light. There is also an inverter switch on the panel in the hallway. What do these various inverters operate? This for you Michael. On the passenger side eng compartment bulkhead is three psi gauges, two adjustable and one not.
I believe one is for the tag air pressure. There is one to the eng side of the upper solenoids and I believe you said you thought that one was the cruise control. If so, it's indicating 80 psi. So I may have other issues to sort out.
I appreciate any input.

89 Newell 40 #195
8V92TA ddec II, HT740
04 HD Sportster 1200
04 Hyundai Santa Fe dingy
Bryon Raymond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2007, 04:19 AM   #2
fulltiming

Bryon, I had a Howard Power Centering System on a prior coach and I don't recall it requiring 110 volts. It is an air over hydraulic system that I believe uses 12 volts for the air compressor. However, the installer may have taken advantage of the on-board air compressor to supply the Howard system.

As far as the inverter is concerned, my '92 Newell used individual switches for energizing the various circuits on the inverter. The switch over the cooktop energized the microwave and the outlet on the drivers side wall behind my desk. The switch in the bathroom and in the bedroom energized the bathroom outlet, TV's, ceiling fan and bath 120 volt lights. The icemaker was energized only when the engine was running.

If you are not getting a ready light on the Howard, I would start checking the Howard system's fuses and connections. Turning the system on at the switch on the Howard control should start the air pressure increasing immediately.

You are correct on the pressure gauges. If you have three, the top one should be air pressure to the transmission, the middle one should be system pressure (non adjustable), and the bottom one should be tag axle pressure. 60-80 is in the right range for the transmission. System pressure should be 90-125 when the engine is running and the system up to pressure. The tag should be in the 20-30 psi range. However, I find that the cruise control seems to be affected by the transmission pressure adjustment in that below 80 psi, my cruise control will buck like crazy. You might try increasing the top pressure to 90 psi and see if that makes any difference.

1992 Newell 43.5' #281
8V92 DDEC-2, HT740
PT Cruiser GT with Remco Transmission Pump
https://newellowner.com/newell-photos/
fulltiming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2007, 02:37 PM   #3
Bryon Raymond

Default Howard Steering

Thanks Michael, I guess I need to dig through the records to find who installed the system and query them on where the problem may lie. There may be an in-line fuse " somewhere ". By the way, how did you like the system?
89 Newell 40 #195
8V92TA ddec II, HT740
04 HD Sportster 1200
Bryon Raymond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2007, 03:39 PM   #4
fulltiming

I found the Howard Power Centering system worked very well in a cross wind in areas with limited terrain. It was more problematic in hilly, gusty conditions. When on roads with an exaggerated crown, it did lessen the driving effort. However, I was using the Power Centering system on a much shorter coach with a very light front end and very heavy rear end so it was trying to make up for chassis shortcomings.

I doubt that I would find it nearly as helpful on a Newell. If a Newell isn't tracking well and is being blown all over the road, there is a problem that needs to be corrected.
1992 Newell 43.5' #281
8V92 DDEC-2, HT740
PT Cruiser GT with Remco Transmission Pump
https://newellowner.com/newell-photos/
fulltiming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2007, 09:51 PM   #5
Richard and Rhonda

http://www.rcproducts.qpg.com/ River City Products in San Antonio

Go to this website. They no longer supply or install the system because of a legal dispute over Mr. Howards estate or something like that.

However, there is a guy there who knows all the details of how it works, and they have a warehouse full of parts.

My info is a year old, as I was looking into the system as a fix for a steering issue with another coach. However, Michael is right on, the fix was not adding a device but correcting what was causing the problem. I agree with him that if the coach is set up correctly you don't need the Howard system or steering stabilizers at all. If you google the Howard system you will find that many other posters echoed Mike's summary of how it works for them.
CoMotion Tandem
Often wrong, but seldom in doubt
Rhonda's chronicle https://wersquared.wordpress.com/
Richard and Rhonda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2007, 10:49 PM   #6
Bryon Raymond

Default Howard Steering

Thanks for the help guys.

89 Newell 40 #195
8V92TA ddec II, HT740
04 HD Sportster 1200