Tech Talk Archives 6 - Page 6 - Luxury Coach Lifestyles
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-24-2012, 07:24 AM   #101
Neweller

Q
700 7/26/2002 4:43:54 AM 7/26/2002 Tech Talk Staff TechTalk@newellcoach.com Transmissions 4,5,6 speeds? Transmissions allow the vehicle operator to run the vehicle engine either at higher rpm, for more power and acceleration, or at lower rpm, for better fuel economy but at less power. A transmission must have enough ratios so that it can match the desired range of engine rpm to road speed from initial acceleration from a stop to top speed. With more gear ratios, a transmission can keep engine rpm within a narrower band to a higher top road speed. With fewer (and therefore wider split) ratios to the same top speed, the change in engine speed between shifts becomes greater. However, an engine with a wider, flatter power curve from low rpm to high, doesn't require as many gears as closely spaced as an engine with a steeper power curve that needs to operate at a higher rpm to develop the desired torque. In addition, a transmission with few, more widely split gears does not have to shift as often, so the passengers perceive a smoother flow of power. When Newell produced coaches with Detroit Diesel 6V92 engines, they used an Allison 600 series 5-speed transmission. When Newell upgraded in 1984 to the 8V92 engine with more power, they determined that the heavier duty Allison 700 series 5-speed transmission required by the more powerful engine had relatively rough shifting characteristics. Therefore, they chose the smoother shifting Allison 700 series 4-speed transmission. The logic was that the additional low rpm torque from the 8V92 would allow for somewhat wider gear splits, the transmission would shift fewer times over the same duty cycle without an unacceptable loss of performance, and the passengers would experience smoother operation. The situation changed again in the mid-1990s with the introduction of the new Allison World Transmission. The shifting characteristics of this transmission are exceptionally smooth, with shifts almost imperceptible at times. Therefore, the transmission, which incorporates 6 speeds, allows the engine to operate with a narrow, more optimal rpm range by shifting more often, but with no loss in smoothness.

If you want to sell, PM or Private Message me. Thanks!

"I know I知 not perfect, and I don't live to be. But before you start pointing fingers, make sure your hands are clean."
-Bob Marley
Neweller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 07:24 AM   #102
Neweller

A
701 7/26/2002 4:59:58 AM 7/26/2002 Tech Talk Staff TechTalk@newellcoach.com Airbags How Many is Enough? The number of air bags on a late model Newell three axle coach varies depending on whether the coach has a straight front (steer) axle or independent front suspension (IFS). Newell straight axles, including steer, drive, and tag, are designed around two air bags per side, or four per axle, so the coach is equipped with a total of 12 air bags on three axles. The IFS steer axle incorporates one air bag per side, so the coach has a total of 10 air bags. The requirements and total design of an axle's suspension is more important than the number of air bags. All things considered, Newell believes their two air bag independent front suspension is superior in ride and handling to the previous four bag straight front axle, while Newell currently prefers drive and tag axle suspensions that use four bags per axle.

"I know I知 not perfect, and I don't live to be. But before you start pointing fingers, make sure your hands are clean."
-Bob Marley
Old 10-24-2012, 07:24 AM   #103
Neweller

A
702 7/26/2002 5:06:02 AM 7/26/2002 Tech Talk Staff TechTalk@newellcoach.com charging coach and engine batteries The batteries are charged when the 120/240 volt generator is running in the same manner as when the coach is plugged in. The battery converter/charger does not know the difference between ac current from the shore cord and ac current from the generator.

-Bob Marley
Old 10-24-2012, 07:25 AM   #104
Neweller

A
703 7/28/2002 12:53:06 PM 7/28/2002 John Clark jvclark02@cs.com Airbags How Many is Enough? Another consideration is the air bag reservoir. My Newell has a 12 bag system with large heavy duty air tanks mounted between the frame. These tanks are connected directly to the air bags with large diameter airlines. When you hit a bump, the tanks absorb some of the increased air pressure from the air bags, thus smoothing the ride. I have yet to ride in a motorcoach with a smoother ride than a Newell.

-Bob Marley
Old 10-24-2012, 07:25 AM   #105
Neweller

A
705 7/28/2002 6:47:47 PM 7/28/2002 Peter A Russo Jr kd2el@att.net Maxium Speed I have read all the items pertaining to tires. 2 things. What is the maxium speed for these coaches? I guess this might be different say for a 1987 and a 2003, but a range of speeds? With reguard to tires and air pressure. Can they cruise over 75 mph for any length of time safely? If so how fast. Again out in the west where there is little to no traffic in some places you just want to put the peddle to the metal so to speak.
Thanks, Pete

-Bob Marley
Old 10-24-2012, 07:25 AM   #106
Neweller

Q
706 7/29/2002 7:16:54 AM 7/29/2002 John Clark jvclark02@cs.com Maxium Speed You need to check with Karl Blade's wife, Alice, (they own Newell Coach) what the maximum speed of a Newell is.

-Bob Marley
Old 10-24-2012, 07:25 AM   #107
Neweller

A
707 7/29/2002 7:49:28 AM 7/29/2002 TechTalk Staff TechTalk@newellcoach.com Maxium Speed We asked Alice, and she replied, "No comment." However, doing the math on a Series 60, governed at 2100 rpm, with a 6 speed Allison in 6th gear (overdrive) and the standard 4.30 rear axle, it works out to about 93 mph. As we recall, the 92 series engine topped out at about 85 mph (the difference in speed is not due to horsepower, but to the Allison World 6 speed transmission providing a "taller" high gear while still maintaining a good first gear ratio). The current standard equipment Michelin Pilot low profile tires are rated for a maximum speed of 75 mph @ 130 psi cold inflation. Michelin also indicates that an extra margin of safety can be achieved by inflating the tires an extra 10 psi, to 140 psi, but the ride suffers somewhat. NEVER BLEED OFF AIR PRESSURE BECAUSE OF INFLATION BUILDUP AT ROAD TEMPERATURES. A note of caution: use extra care operating the coach at interstate speeds in the heat of the summer. High speed combined with high ambiant temperatures can cause a tire to overheat, possibly resulting in rapid tread separation. Underinflation causes even more destructive heat buildup. CAUTION: When running in temperatures exceeding 90 degrees F., we suggest holding the speed to a maximum of 70 mph. A
708 7/29/2002 11:25:39 PM 7/30/2002 David Keith davessc@yahoo.com 35 foot Newell Floorplan I am thinking about having a Newell coach custom built, but am interested in just 35 or 36 footers.

Two questions: 1. Do these shorter Newells still have three axles (like the 1985 Blue Bird PT-36 that I am selling (http://home.earthlink.net/~davidkeith/pt36/350.html)?)

2. Where can I find example floorplans for such a shorter Newell?

Thanks, Dave Keith

-Bob Marley
Old 10-24-2012, 07:25 AM   #108
Neweller

Q
709 7/30/2002 4:48:38 AM 7/30/2002 John Leuenberger jeleuen@attglobal.net '82 Electrical Recently acquired nice 82 coach. All 4 batteries less than 3 years old. Coach had been stored plugged in to shore power. Front battery plates were dry, took 4 gallons distilled water to fill. Nevertheless, batteries tested OK at local RV shop. Found that when plugged in to shore power, house batteries get very warm, they actually seem to be cooking. Doesn't the converter/charger taper off the charge as batteries charge up or is it not automatic? So guess if left connected to shore power, the batt water will eventually cook out. Also confused about merge switch. Info with coach says battery switch should be set to merge anytime batteries are receiving charge. Merge switch should be off when batteries not receiving charge. Is this correct? Last, is there a switch on the 82's to kill all battery drain when exit the coach? There is a covered panel over the door next to door bell. Previous non Newell coaches had this switch. If no battery kill switch, what about installing blade switch at house batteries? Thanx any info.

-Bob Marley
Old 10-24-2012, 07:25 AM   #109
Neweller

Q
710 7/30/2002 4:52:03 AM 7/30/2002 TechTalk Staff TechTalk@newellcoach.com 35 foot Newell Floorplan Newells under 39' are typically built on two rather than three axles. This is because the third axle competes for the space required for tankage (fuel, fresh, and holding) and for storage. Floorplan examples can be requested by calling the Newell sales staff at 1-888-3NEWELL.

-Bob Marley
Old 10-24-2012, 07:26 AM   #110
Neweller

A
711 7/30/2002 5:05:54 AM 7/30/2002 TechTalk Staff TechTalk@newellcoach.com '82 Electrical Regardless of the battery test, it sounds like your batteries are shot. Unless the batteries are relatively new, they should all (engine and house) be replaced at once. Batteries of different ages don't charge properly together. The battery charger/converter does taper to a trickle charge, allowing the coach to remain plugged in while stored. The merge switch allows the engine batteries to be charged from the 120 volt converter/charger, and also allows the house batteries to be charged from the alternator. Later model coaches handle this switching automatically. You will know if the merge is taking place automatically by monitoring the voltage on each battery bank. Voltage readings over about 13 volts means the batteries are receiving charging current. The reason to disconnect the merge function when not charging is to allow your engine batteries to stay up while the house batteries are being used for power and depleted. When its ready to go home depleted weak house batteries after dry camping, the engine batteries will still be fully charged and ready to start the coach. Finally, look through the underfloor compartments and you will find heavy duty disconnect switches for the engine batteries and the house batteries. Check close to the battery locations first. The switches are bright metal and a couple of inches across in size.

-Bob Marley
Old 10-24-2012, 07:26 AM   #111
Neweller

A
712 7/30/2002 6:42:45 AM 7/30/2002 David Carpus DCarpus@dcarpus.com Irregular Tire Wear - Cupping I had the same problem with the original equipped Goodyear's on my 87ユ coach. I replaced them with Firestoneユs with a flexing edge on both sides. This eliminates the irregular tire wear. I am currently on my second set and have been very happy with their performance and mileage. I have had absolutely no irregular wear or cupping. However the FS507 in 11rx24.5 is not available in a ribbed radial, but I have been in snow and ice conditions and have had no traction problems. As an additional note, they are made on the same line as the Brigstones.

Dave Carpus

-Bob Marley
Old 10-24-2012, 07:26 AM   #112
Neweller

A
713 7/30/2002 1:10:19 PM 7/30/2002 John Leuenberger jeleuen@attglobal.net Merge Switch Thanx for quick reply to first msg. A nice clear answer. Think you're right, the house batteries are shot. One more question about the merge switch, what's the difference between forward or rear position? Thanks again.

-Bob Marley
Old 10-24-2012, 07:26 AM   #113
Neweller

Q
714 7/30/2002 3:15:28 PM 7/30/2002 TechTalk Staff TechTalk@newellcoach.com Merge Switch Reminder: you should not install new batteries on your house system without replacing the engine start batteries at the same time. The voltage regulator cannot properly adjust the current to a mixture of new and used batteries. The merge is off when the switch is centered, and the switch merges the batteries pushed in either the up or down position. One direction merges using engine batteries to power the merge solonoid, the other position merges using the house batteries. Therefore, the system can be used as an emergency merge if either battery bank is dead.

-Bob Marley