New Airstream Companion. Wow! - Luxury Coach Lifestyles
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-04-2011, 06:36 PM   #1
Neweller

Default New Airstream Companion. Wow!

Newell Coach has added a toad companion for those owners needing to ad more luxury to their personal lineups. You can read more about it here in the Newell Cafe link: http://www.newellclassic.com/newellcafe/

More info coming, stay tuned!

Ken W.

If you want to sell, PM or Private Message me. Thanks!

"I know I’m not perfect, and I don't live to be. But before you start pointing fingers, make sure your hands are clean."
-Bob Marley
Neweller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2011, 03:27 AM   #2
Neweller

Thumbs up

This is the photo of Carl and Jan Tidgren taking delivery of their 2012 Airstream Interstate. They are the first ones to take delivery of one of these coaches from Newell. The silver and black 1991 Newell in the background is also theirs, that they purchased back in December of 1993. This Airstream is all set up to tow behind the Newell.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	tidgren.jpg
Views:	187
Size:	81.7 KB
ID:	1236  

"I know I’m not perfect, and I don't live to be. But before you start pointing fingers, make sure your hands are clean."
-Bob Marley
Old 11-09-2011, 03:34 AM   #3
Neweller

Anyone interested in knowing how they can obtain a new Airstream Interstate can go to http://newellcoach.com/airstreamInventoryList.php
and you can download the 2012 brochure in PDF here.

Or contact

Ian Drake
Airstream Sales Mgr.
Newell Coach Corp.
918-540-3344 ext.215
iand (at) newellcoach.com

-Bob Marley
Old 11-09-2011, 10:48 PM   #4
tuga

Congratulations to Carl & Jan on the purchase of their new Airstream Interstate!

I have a Prevost friend who I traveled to Alaska with last year, and he expressed an interest in down-sizing to a Class C or Class B motorhome as he gets older. He sighted maintenance costs and aggrevating problems as reasons for the change.

When you stop and think about it from a replacement point of view (selling the big motorcoach and replacing it with a smaller one) it might have some merits. I am not ready to give up my Newell yet because I love the comfort and the space that the slides provide. And I'm not that old; YET!

But when I am ready to down-size this looks pretty good!

Another thought is cost: I'll bet this Airstream is less costly to maintain than a Newell. Especially if it is purchased brand NEW! Also the fuel cost is attractive when compared to a Newell getting 5.5 to 7.5 mpg.

I wonder how the Airstream will hold its value in the market place?

Has anyone ever owned a Class B?
Coach #512
2005 Pilot
tuga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2011, 11:43 PM   #5
Richard and Rhonda

Tuga,

I have. Rhonda and I owned a class B Roadtrek for about a year. It just was too little for two adults and two kids for even a long weekend.

If she would let me, I would buy another one tomorrow. However, just for slipping into small parks and remote campgrounds. It's really, really, really tight for even two people. No matter where you are, you are in the way of the other person.

The Class B's tend to hold their value at about a ten percent depreciation per year till they get in the mid twenties price range. The Sprinter chassis based diesels sell for a 15K premium over the Chevy van based gassers, and the used ones tend to sell for about 10K over the gassers.

It doesn't make sense to buy the diesel based sprinter. Yep, they are prettier. However, do the math using the mpg and fuel costs and you have to drive the thing a 100K miles before you make up the cost difference. The second problem is the diesel based B's use a propane generator. They go through propane quickly. Third the Chevy based versions have a lot more storage than the Sprinter based version.
CoMotion Tandem
Often wrong, but seldom in doubt
Rhonda's chronicle https://wersquared.wordpress.com/
Richard and Rhonda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2011, 01:27 PM   #6
tuga

Richard,

Good post, thanks for the reply. Seems like there is a division between you and Rhonda on the Class B. Karen said the same thing; I have to agree with her - I like the space.

It's difficult to judge this product without ever having seen one, that's why I wanted to get an opinion from a previous owner.

Thanks.

For now, I'll keep my Newell.
Coach #512
2005 Pilot
tuga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2011, 04:25 AM   #7
Neweller

Tuga, from our understanding, this Airstream is being used as a Toad vehicle and not a replacement for the Newell.

Ken

-Bob Marley
Old 08-10-2012, 10:16 PM   #8
Stylin Monster

I was just checking one of these little bad boys out at a little show here in Texas. I need to get up to Newell and get my coach serviced and if they have one ready to go, I may have to hook and roll!

Big rigs a rollin' Hot Damn!
Stylin Monster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2012, 12:30 PM   #9
fulltiming

When I was at Newell a few months ago, they had two Airstream Sprinters that they were preping to sell to a dealer. I was told by Pat that they haven't been selling nearly as well as they hoped. Might check to see if Newell still has any inventory.

Several RV manufacturers are new introducing the Sprinter with a slideout. Storage will not be improved but the interior room with the slide extended will certainly improve. They are using a rear dry bath layout with the coach opening crosswise with the side slide extended to form the bed in the Winnebago and the LeisureTime. They are using the 24'6" Sprinter. Roadtrek has introduced a rear slide in their 20' Sprinter conversion that extends the length 3'. Thor has a double bed in the rear beside the bath with a slide out to increase the room around the couch.
1992 Newell 43.5' #281
8V92 DDEC-2, HT740
PT Cruiser GT with Remco Transmission Pump
https://newellowner.com/newell-photos/
fulltiming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2012, 10:23 PM   #10
Randy J

Well all be darned these Airstream Sprinters are to cool! Anyone know what they cost? I would call Newell. but I don't know if one would even be in our budget!

1991 Newell Coach
2011 Jeep Wrangler Sahara

"If I lose today, I can look forward to winning tomorrow, and if I win today, I can expect to lose tomorrow. A sure thing is no fun.”

"Sometimes I pretend to be Normal. But it gets boring. So I go back to being me." lol!
Randy J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2012, 10:37 PM   #11
fulltiming

The Airstreams are pricier than some of the other brands. I 'think' Newell said they listed for about $125k.
1992 Newell 43.5' #281
8V92 DDEC-2, HT740
PT Cruiser GT with Remco Transmission Pump
https://newellowner.com/newell-photos/
fulltiming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2012, 10:45 PM   #12
Randy J

Thanks Michael. that's what I'm talkin about. Not in our budget. but they are very cool.

1991 Newell Coach
2011 Jeep Wrangler Sahara

"If I lose today, I can look forward to winning tomorrow, and if I win today, I can expect to lose tomorrow. A sure thing is no fun.”

"Sometimes I pretend to be Normal. But it gets boring. So I go back to being me." lol!
Randy J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2012, 11:31 AM   #13
Richard and Rhonda

Here's an update after owning the Class B for half a year. One, the true blue mileage is about 19 mpg at 70 mph. Two, it is not a substitute for the Newell. Three, pull in the little camping spot, fold out the bed, and go to sleep. Four, forget about sleeping with the gen running for AC. The gen is under the bed and loud. Five storage is tight. Six, the sprinters drive great with precise steering, up high seating, and plenty of torque. It handles the WV mountains just fine.

It has been what I needed, a substitute camping vehicle that was suitable for the WV narrow twisty roads and backwoods campsites. It is camping for two. It is a nice tent on wheels with indoor plumbing for the middle of the night trips. It is easy to manuever. I have not regretted the decision.
CoMotion Tandem
Often wrong, but seldom in doubt
Rhonda's chronicle https://wersquared.wordpress.com/
Richard and Rhonda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2012, 10:32 PM   #14
NEWELLWIZARD

These Airstreams are cool but I don't think I would want to afford one for towing behind my Newell. For the cost of one of these Airstreams a person could buy a very nice older Newell or take the money you would buy one of these with, if you currently owned an older Newell sell it and combine the money and put it towards a purchase of a newer Newell! For the people who have the money to own a brand new Newell and tow one of these Airstreams you probably wouldn't understand where I'm coming from here. And if I had your kind of money then I could see owning one of these and a Newell too.

NEWELLWIZARD is offline   Reply With Quote