Whats the value of a coach that has been smoked in vs not smoked in? - Luxury Coach Lifestyles
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-21-2012, 11:11 PM   #1
Nara Queen

Question Whats the value of a coach that has been smoked in vs not smoked in?

We have looked at quite a few motorhomes that have been smoked in. Most coaches have not been smoked in which is good because we are not smokers. I am not turned on by the yellowing from a coach that has been smoked in. Is it that easy to remove the yellowing? and what about getting the smell out? is it worth even trying? Or should we skip coaches like this and move on to only ones that have never been smoked in? If it's not that serious and we can remove the yellowing and smell or even have professionals clean it up then we may still be interested in purchasing a coach for the right price if it had been smoked in. If we were to hire a professional what would it cost? So many questions! Thanks for all your help! Hope everyone is doing well.

Nara

Nara Queen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2012, 12:43 AM   #2
Hugo

IMHO I wouldn't consider a coach that has been smoked in if you are not a smoker. Just like with a vehicle that has been smoked they are devalued in my book if they have been smoked in. You loose a lot of potential buyers when you are limited to buys who only smoke. Some people don't care and will smoke in their coach or vehicle because they want to and don't worry about the future or have plans on keeping it forever. I say if you don't smoke then don't buy one that has been smoked in. No matter how good it's been detailed you will still have a nose and smell it. That's just my two cents.

Old 11-22-2012, 03:07 PM   #3
JT.Booth

You may find that Febreze Air Fresheners & Odor Eliminators will always need to be at hands reach.
JT.Booth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2012, 03:28 PM   #4
Raymond N Priscilla Miller

I'm sure professionals could eliminate the smoke smell but I have no idea what it would cost to have a coach done.
Old 11-22-2012, 04:14 PM   #5
Newell Attack

Honestly, Smoke smell is one of the hardest things to get rid of and since I don't smoke I would pass on the coach if its been smoked in.

This is just my opinion of course for what it's worth,

Jeff

Jeff & Leann Shackly
Newell Attack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2012, 04:42 PM   #6
Chester B. Stone, Jr.

Hey, it all depends on the price. The seller of a smoke in coach must be aware that a substantial discount is in order. My experience is that it can be cleaned and odors removed.
2001 Newell #579
tow a 2011 Honda Odyssey
1935 Mercedes 500K replica
Chester B. Stone, Jr. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2012, 05:10 PM   #7
NewellCrazy

Chester is correct that smoke odors can be removed and if the price is right go for it!!

If Ain't a Newell, It Ain't Wurt Oonin!
NewellCrazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2012, 06:57 PM   #8
MrE

I've heard that coffee gets rid of smoke odors, found this doing a Google search:
The smell of cigarette smoke is unmistakable, and it permeates fabric and coats hard surfaces with a brown film that retains the scent. The smell is offensive to many nonsmokers, and this is one of the main reasons why many nonsmokers do not allow smoking in their vehicles. Unfortunately, used vehicles sometimes come equipped with the odor of cigarette smoke, and it can be difficult to know how to get rid of the smell.
It is possible to get rid of the smell of cigarette smoke in a car, and the most effective ways are completely natural. Do not waste your money on commercial products that claim to neutralize or completely get rid of the smell of cigarette smoke in a car. Instead, try these natural ways to get rid of the smell. You will be surprised by how well natural methods of odor removal work without completely detailing and commercially deodorizing the car.Ground CoffeeFor decades, truck drivers have used ground coffee to get rid of strong odors in their trailers, and others have discovered that it works like magic to get rid of the odor of cigarette smoke in vehicles. Set shallow open bowls of ground aromatic coffee on the floorboards and on the seats with the windows and doors closed. Allow the ground coffee to absorb the smell of cigarette smoke in the car for at least 48 hours. If the odor is not completely gone, stash a couple of open bowls of ground coffee under the seats. In time the smell of cigarette smoke will dissipate. In the meantime your friends will wonder why your car smells like Starbucks!Charcoal BriquettesOrdinary charcoal is a fantastic odor absorber, and placing charcoal briquettes in a car is a great way to get rid of the smell of cigarette smoke. Place a large bowl of charcoal briquettes on the car seat, and allow the car to remain closed for at least 48 hours. The charcoal should absorb the scent of cigarette smoke, and the vehicle should smell fresh and clean.Ordinary White VinegarWhite vinegar is also a fantastic natural product to get rid of odors, and although it can be messier, it is very effective. Pour about 8 ounces of ordinary white vinegar into the bottom of a deep bowl or clean bucket, and set it on the floorboard of the car. Allow it to remain undisturbed for at least 2 full days. The car should smell significantly better, and the scent of cigarette smoke should be undetectable.NewspapersNewsprint also works well to get rid of the smell of cigarette smoke in a car. Wad up several sheets of ordinary black and white newsprint, and place it under the seats. It will continue to work to absorb odors, and within days the car should be free from the smell of cigarette smoke. Periodically change the newspapers and they will continue to keep the car smelling fresh and clean.
1986 40' Dog House #86
0 hp 8V92 Allison HT740
Soon to be 500hp ISM with ZF 6 Speed
MrE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2012, 09:43 PM   #9
Neweller

.Jon, that is some good but crazy information you ran across. Thanks for finding it. I would like to have known those tricks over the years. I'm not a smoker but have restored some vehicles and coaches that had been owned by heavy smokers or even fire damage. I used ozone generators and massive cleaning to do a descent job. But more tricks the merrier.
If you want to sell, PM or Private Message me. Thanks!

"I know I’m not perfect, and I don't live to be. But before you start pointing fingers, make sure your hands are clean."
-Bob Marley
Neweller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2012, 11:40 PM   #10
Retired63

very informative info Jon I will def. keep it for future reference.
Old 11-23-2012, 04:38 PM   #11
speedingsport

Jon great information and not only for smoke smells but it is helpful for other odors as well. I will need to remember these for the future. Thanks for sharing!
speedingsport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2012, 04:41 PM   #12
Cheri Smith

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrE View Post
I've heard that coffee gets rid of smoke odors, found this doing a Google search:
The smell of cigarette smoke is unmistakable, and it permeates fabric and coats hard surfaces with a brown film that retains the scent. The smell is offensive to many nonsmokers, and this is one of the main reasons why many nonsmokers do not allow smoking in their vehicles. Unfortunately, used vehicles sometimes come equipped with the odor of cigarette smoke, and it can be difficult to know how to get rid of the smell.
It is possible to get rid of the smell of cigarette smoke in a car, and the most effective ways are completely natural. Do not waste your money on commercial products that claim to neutralize or completely get rid of the smell of cigarette smoke in a car. Instead, try these natural ways to get rid of the smell. You will be surprised by how well natural methods of odor removal work without completely detailing and commercially deodorizing the car.Ground CoffeeFor decades, truck drivers have used ground coffee to get rid of strong odors in their trailers, and others have discovered that it works like magic to get rid of the odor of cigarette smoke in vehicles. Set shallow open bowls of ground aromatic coffee on the floorboards and on the seats with the windows and doors closed. Allow the ground coffee to absorb the smell of cigarette smoke in the car for at least 48 hours. If the odor is not completely gone, stash a couple of open bowls of ground coffee under the seats. In time the smell of cigarette smoke will dissipate. In the meantime your friends will wonder why your car smells like Starbucks!Charcoal BriquettesOrdinary charcoal is a fantastic odor absorber, and placing charcoal briquettes in a car is a great way to get rid of the smell of cigarette smoke. Place a large bowl of charcoal briquettes on the car seat, and allow the car to remain closed for at least 48 hours. The charcoal should absorb the scent of cigarette smoke, and the vehicle should smell fresh and clean.Ordinary White VinegarWhite vinegar is also a fantastic natural product to get rid of odors, and although it can be messier, it is very effective. Pour about 8 ounces of ordinary white vinegar into the bottom of a deep bowl or clean bucket, and set it on the floorboard of the car. Allow it to remain undisturbed for at least 2 full days. The car should smell significantly better, and the scent of cigarette smoke should be undetectable.NewspapersNewsprint also works well to get rid of the smell of cigarette smoke in a car. Wad up several sheets of ordinary black and white newsprint, and place it under the seats. It will continue to work to absorb odors, and within days the car should be free from the smell of cigarette smoke. Periodically change the newspapers and they will continue to keep the car smelling fresh and clean.
Natural ways are my preference but not always do they work as well as I'd like them too. If I ever had a chance to try one of these I would be interested in how well they work. Great information none the less!

1979 Newell Classic
Cheri Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2012, 04:47 PM   #13
MrE

I have a non-smoking brother-in-law that got a great deal on a car that had been smoked in excessively, really bad stench. He used ground coffee and it actually removed all the smoke odors.
1986 40' Dog House #86
0 hp 8V92 Allison HT740
Soon to be 500hp ISM with ZF 6 Speed
MrE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2012, 04:53 PM   #14
stewart33

Coffee eliminates all kinds of odors it's strong!

stewart33 is offline   Reply With Quote