Trailer Hitch Dragging Ground - Luxury Coach Lifestyles
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-13-2010, 10:10 PM   #1
paultracy3

Default Trailer Hitch Dragging Ground

anyone ever have problems with the hitch dragging thru dipps in the road or backing up on a slight incline . my hitch and reciever is very low to the ground compared to other coaches

paultracy3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2010, 10:36 PM   #2
rheavn

Paul,
Mine is pretty low too. If I go through a dip I have learned to slow down & air up. I've also learned to air up prior to backing up an incline.

Old 12-13-2010, 11:40 PM   #3
Richard and Rhonda

Yep, mine too. Air up.

PT, I watched you on the speed channel last night hustling that Bentley through the slalom. Do you pull that with the Newell? Just kidding.
CoMotion Tandem
Often wrong, but seldom in doubt
Rhonda's chronicle https://wersquared.wordpress.com/
Richard and Rhonda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2010, 12:29 AM   #4
RussWhite

Another me too chiming in. I intend to check ride hieght sometime, but have not gotten around to it yet. It seems very low, and the advice to air up is good, but you have to have the time to do that. It can take several minutes even on high idle. I am kind of hoping ride height could be raised a little, but I don't know what issue that might bring on. Fortunately the hitch looks quite substantial and if I drag a little I am hoping nothing more than a little paint on the hitch is harmed.
RussWhite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2010, 03:03 AM   #5
paultracy3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard and Rhonda View Post
Yep, mine too. Air up.

PT, I watched you on the speed channel last night hustling that Bentley through the slalom. Do you pull that with the Newell? Just kidding.
my problem is on one of the roads i run quite often is in the desert on hyw 93 going to blythe . its 2lane and has alot of sharp dips in it for water runoff . i pull a big 30ft stacker and it drags the reciever hard thru them . i was hoping to try anfd get more ride height somehow .
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0516.jpg
Views:	110
Size:	88.7 KB
ID:	922  
Old 12-14-2010, 12:58 PM   #6
Ron Skeen

You can raise the rear ride height by adjustiing the control located over the drive alxe on both sides. You could probably raise the height by at least 2 inches.
1996 Newell 45' #422
2004 Newell 45'8" #689
60 Series Detriot
Yellow Dodge Truck
Ron Skeen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2010, 05:16 PM   #7
paultracy3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron Skeen View Post
You can raise the rear ride height by adjustiing the control located over the drive alxe on both sides. You could probably raise the height by at least 2 inches.
IS IT IN THE WHEEL WELLS OR UNDER THE BUS
Old 12-14-2010, 06:29 PM   #8
rheavn

Paul,
The air ride control valve & linkage is located by looking over the rear drive duals. I had to raise the coach to see it and gain access. I then loosened the adjusting sleeve with a 1/4" nut driver, made my adjustment and then lowered coach back down and checked coach ride height. 12" on outer tubing just in front of rear wheelwell. Front is also 12" measured at outer tubing just behind wheelwell.

Hope this helps.......................
Old 12-14-2010, 07:27 PM   #9
prairieschooner

What if you simply modified the Hitch?
The ride Height should be a fixed dimension where intended to not overextend anything, I am not familiar with the newer coaches though.
1982 Newell 38' (built before #1) 6V92 DD, 5 Speed Allison, 12.5 KW Kohler, Couch used to make into a Bed but I fixed it!
https://newellshowcase.com/thumbnails.php?album=214
2007 Yukon, 1981 CJ7 Laredo, 2002 Honda CRV, 1955 Thunderbird, 1952 Pontiac Sedan Delivery, 1952 Ford 8N, 1958 Airstream, 1959 Glasspar 16' Avalon, Cabin in the Woods........what will I work on next
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
prairieschooner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2010, 07:39 PM   #10
Ron Skeen

I think that you need to make the rod going down longer. After you loosened the adjusting sleeve slide the sleeve up on the rod to make longer. You can measure the coach and then make adjustment and measure again to see which way the rod need to go. I made a tool out of 5' long 1x3 alum tubing which I cut a slot that fitted around the rod and I could force the sleeve up or down by prying on top of the wheel (up or finder flare (down). Hope this helps.
1996 Newell 45' #422
2004 Newell 45'8" #689
60 Series Detriot
Yellow Dodge Truck
Ron Skeen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2010, 10:31 PM   #11
Richard and Rhonda

Paul,

Good answers, the device is located behind the drive wheels at the top of the wheel well. Unless you have ape arms you cannot reach it by hand. You cannot see it unless you use the air bags to raise the rear all the way.

I too, use two special tools. One a home made long reach nut driver that tightens or loosens the holding clamp, and the second a pry bar to move it up or down the rod. DON"T put yourself in the space between the tire and the coach while fooling with the height adjustment. That has the possibility of ruining your whole day.

You move the attachment on the rod in the direction you want the coach to move. In other words, if you want to raise the coach, raise the clamp on the bar. Mine is already at the top part of the bar, so I couldn't raise it much higher if I wanted.

There are two issues with doing this. One, it will put more weight on the front tires. Second it will definitely throw the alignment (camber and toe in) of the tags out of kilter.
CoMotion Tandem
Often wrong, but seldom in doubt
Rhonda's chronicle https://wersquared.wordpress.com/
Richard and Rhonda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2010, 11:44 PM   #12
paultracy3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard and Rhonda View Post
Paul,

Good answers, the device is located behind the drive wheels at the top of the wheel well. Unless you have ape arms you cannot reach it by hand. You cannot see it unless you use the air bags to raise the rear all the way.

I too, use two special tools. One a home made long reach nut driver that tightens or loosens the holding clamp, and the second a pry bar to move it up or down the rod. DON"T put yourself in the space between the tire and the coach while fooling with the height adjustment. That has the possibility of ruining your whole day.

You move the attachment on the rod in the direction you want the coach to move. In other words, if you want to raise the coach, raise the clamp on the bar. Mine is already at the top part of the bar, so I couldn't raise it much higher if I wanted.

There are two issues with doing this. One, it will put more weight on the front tires. Second it will definitely throw the alignment (camber and toe in) of the tags out of kilter.
thats good info . i am looking to get about 2in higher
Old 12-15-2010, 01:05 AM   #13
GORDON HUMMEL

Paul,

While I understand the problems of draging the rear end on Newell, we all have experienced it @ on time or anther, I would check with Newell about rasing it 2" over stock. In addition to Richards comments, you will also be raising the roll center a substancial ammout! This much would be like raising an Indy car 1/32" which would be a massive change.

Is it the actual newell receiver that is draging or the part you slide into it? Mine has skid plates that drag first & protect the receiver hitch & fiberglass.

My 2 cents
1991 41.5' #266
8v92
2009 Pontiac Vibe GT Toad
Fulltime on the road
GORDON HUMMEL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2010, 01:31 AM   #14
tuga

I scraped coming off of a ferry in Alaska. Also had a few scrapes in driveways with deep dips.

It's a pain in the rear!
Coach #512
2005 Pilot
tuga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2010, 01:55 AM   #15
paultracy3

i am running a airsafe class vii airbag reciever . i just dont like it dragging the ground cuz it was expensive
Old 12-15-2010, 11:56 AM   #16
HoosierDaddy

Yep, Raise it a little...I'd be thinking 1/4" steel skid plate bolted on under hitch if you travel that same road often. Better to replace the plate than the hitch.
1993 Newell 45'#316, 1976 Trans Am 455, 1967 GTO, 1953 Chevrolet 3105 (panel truck),1952 Chevrolet 3600,1969 Airstream Overlander. Always fixing something!
HoosierDaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2010, 03:01 AM   #17
Summersgal

Paul

Here was Jeff's answer to raising the hitch, to allow the blue ox to be more inline with the truck. The bottom of the receiver still drags every now and then, but this would save dragging the airsafe class vii.

Pam
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	100_7035.jpg
Views:	115
Size:	86.3 KB
ID:	923  
Coach #432
Summersgal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2010, 02:07 PM   #18
folivier

Nice idea Pam, I've seen different styles of these risers. Some are even adjustable. Just need to make sure the one he gets doesn't lower his hitch rating.
Merry Christmas everyone!
1998 Newell 45' 2 slide #486
2004 Chevy Silverado Z71
2013 RZR 570LE

"You don't have a soul. You are a soul, you have a body." C.S.Lewis

https://www.luxurycoachlifestyle.com/...php?albumid=14
folivier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2010, 06:57 PM   #19
Summersgal

Forrest
Thanks!
With all the welds that Jeff has on it I think it will be fine! LOL We have seen a few different ideas also.
And I know once when we were at Newell that had told us that the main hitch couldn't be raised, had something to do with the level and so on. More than I know enough about to say anymore!! LOL I just drive! Typical woman!! :-)

Merry Christmas to all!
Coach #432
Summersgal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2010, 12:31 AM   #20
express1

Thought everyone had that type of jackup plate hitch....We need one to get even with the Ford Flex... It also move the tow car back about a foot allowing the opening of engine bay door.

if you think my spellin is bad, you should sea my handwritten. #437 w/flex toad (STAY AWAY FROM LARRY BELL aka larrynjeri) he is a lier and a lock picker.
express1 is offline   Reply With Quote