Is it Legal For My Wife To Have a Beer.............. - Luxury Coach Lifestyles
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-31-2012, 10:24 PM   #1
Paul Wilbert

Default Is it Legal For My Wife To Have a Beer..............

Has anyone been ticketed for carrying and or drinking alcohol in their Newell Coach. Is it legal for my wife to have a beer on the couch while i am driving to a destination? Whats the deal??

Paul Wilbert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 10:35 PM   #2
express1

Sure it is! And all speed limits are 75mph.

Todays world, anyone with a badge and gun call all the shots..

Ron Skeen is the only person I know that has ever, EVER been given a ticket.....(speeding) Any ticket!!!
I've been maybe 50-60k and never been stopped. Its not to easy to pull a 70' rig on the side of any road....Just to check if a passenger is drinking.
I can remember when Louisiana didn't have open container laws.....You could drink and drive... Not drunk and drive....

if you think my spellin is bad, you should sea my handwritten. #437 w/flex toad (STAY AWAY FROM LARRY BELL aka larrynjeri) he is a lier and a lock picker.
express1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 11:46 PM   #3
The Newell

It depends on the law in whatever state you are in at the time but most states have what is known as an "open container law" which makes it illegal to have an alcoholic beverage open in the vehicle. Obviously this would not normally apply when the motor home is parked and set up but many campgrounds even have restrictions on alcohol.

Home Base: Riverside, CA

If anyone needs my contact info private message me and I will send it to you.

-Joseph-
The Newell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 01:42 AM   #4
JustDustin

When in doubt stick to the safe side.
JustDustin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 04:22 AM   #5
Texas Pete

We have never heard of much issue with sort of thing. As long as you are a passenger and sitting buckled in they can really do anything to you and that is if they even wanted to.

In everything I have done. I discovered, the only person who limits you is yourself.
Texas Pete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 05:56 AM   #6
NewellCrazy

This is what law states in Texas:

Does the motor vehicle have to be moving for a violation to occur?
No. Under the law, a person commits an open container offense by possessing an open container in the passenger area of a motor vehicle regardless of whether the vehicle is being operated or is stopped or parked. There is an exception for people who are passengers in a bus, taxi, or limousine; or who are in the living quarters of a motorized house coach or motorized house trailer, including a self-contained camper, motor home, or recreational vehicle.

If Ain't a Newell, It Ain't Wurt Oonin!
NewellCrazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 03:53 PM   #7
The Newell

This from the CA DMV website:

23226. (a) It is unlawful for any driver to keep in the passenger compartment of a motor vehicle, when the vehicle is upon any highway or on lands, as described in subdivision (b) of Section 23220, any bottle, can, or other receptacle containing any alcoholic beverage that has been opened, or a seal broken, or the contents of which have been partially removed.

(b) It is unlawful for any passenger to keep in the passenger compartment of a motor vehicle, when the vehicle is upon any highway or on lands, as described in subdivision (b) of Section 23220, any bottle, can, or other receptacle containing any alcoholic beverage that has been opened or a seal broken, or the contents of which have been partially removed.

(c) This section shall not apply to the living quarters of a housecar or camper.
[/b]

Home Base: Riverside, CA

If anyone needs my contact info private message me and I will send it to you.

-Joseph-
The Newell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 09:25 PM   #8
Paul Wilbert

So is it safe to assume the law changes state by state or is it based upon your home state laws ?
Paul Wilbert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 09:52 PM   #9
cdat

The state law that applies would be that State that you are driving in. The way it has always been explained to me is, if the alcoholic beverage is within reach of the driver then you are breaking the law, this is only in a M/H or camper. As always, the officer standing in front of you is going make the decision based on his mood, your attitude, and the alignment of the moon and stars.

John
cdat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 10:06 PM   #10
prairieschooner

Last time I was in Texas it didn't matter driver or passenger. Things do change, even on boats!
1982 Newell 38' (built before #1) 6V92 DD, 5 Speed Allison, 12.5 KW Kohler, Couch used to make into a Bed but I fixed it!
https://newellshowcase.com/thumbnails.php?album=214
2007 Yukon, 1981 CJ7 Laredo, 2002 Honda CRV, 1955 Thunderbird, 1952 Pontiac Sedan Delivery, 1952 Ford 8N, 1958 Airstream, 1959 Glasspar 16' Avalon, Cabin in the Woods........what will I work on next
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
prairieschooner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 07:59 PM   #11
77newell

I dunno, is she of legal drinking age?

2007 civic toad
77newell is offline   Reply With Quote