What to tell Campgrounds & RV Parks we drive? - Luxury Coach Lifestyles
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-26-2012, 06:39 PM   #1
GringoPhil

Default What to tell Campgrounds & RV Parks we drive?

Have you ever been afraid of being turned away without them having seen your Newell? I have been told that there are campground that do not allow an rv over a certain age is this true?

Old 08-26-2012, 07:18 PM   #2
MrE

I stayed at several parks with my old 1973 Newell that had rules that specified the RV had to be a certain age or newer without any problems at all. Those rules are meant to keep out a totally different class RV than our Newells.

1986 40' Dog House #86
0 hp 8V92 Allison HT740
Soon to be 500hp ISM with ZF 6 Speed
MrE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2012, 08:34 PM   #3
express1

I try to qualify the RV park!
express1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2012, 10:00 PM   #4
Neweller

Great question! When I first bought a 1978 Newell about 10 years ago, I ran into this problem on a regular basis down in California. I had sold my house and bought this Newell thinking I would be fulltiming it without any questions to the RV parks caring what I owned. See, I had owned newer trailers and class A's of the cheap and never had a problem. When I picked up my Newell in Texas and drove back to California to only stop at Walmarts or rest areas since it was December and I just wanted to get back and fix up my Newell. After arriving back in California, I stored my coach at a friends while I did some needed repairs then when it was ready to go, I started calling around to the local parks looking for a long term camping arrangement while I waited for my son to graduate high school and guess what, every single RV park had age rules for anything over a month stay. They all stated my coach could not be over 15 years old. I was blown away as I just invested a bunch of money in a 1978 Newell and could not use it for my intended purpose. After some persuasion I got one RV park in Lake Elsinore on the lake to let me bring my coach by and look it over. After seeing my coach they said it would be fine and that not to tell anyone I'm staying over 30 days. The rules are to curtail the white trash campers or so to speak. arg...........
If you want to sell, PM or Private Message me. Thanks!

"I know I’m not perfect, and I don't live to be. But before you start pointing fingers, make sure your hands are clean."
-Bob Marley
Neweller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2012, 10:46 PM   #5
chockwald

In 4.5 years of ownership, and now in 7 months of full time traveling (30,000 miles of total travel) in our 1982 Newell we have never been turned away from an RV Park in California, or anywhere else for any reason....usually once they hear you're driving a Newell the next thing they ask is "how long?". There are parks that do care about the age of your coach, but they are very few, and far in between.
2002 Thunderbird Retro
Cannondale Tandem
Cannondale Bad Boy
Cannondale F600
2 Terra Trike Tadpoles
Intense 5.5 mountain bike
ALBUM: https://newellshowcase.com/thumbnails.php?album=213
chockwald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2012, 12:06 AM   #6
Barthman

Chockwald, there are lots like that and a few resorts that have a 5 year age limit. The park I work in has a 10 year limit for long term stays but none for overnight or weekly stays. I have had some come in that were 5 years old that looked terrible and I have slipped in a couple that were here for a couple of months and were older because of their condition. There are some people that don't even like to spend the night in a park where they have long term campers because they feel they make the park look run down. We insist that monthly renters keep their sites clean and uncluttered and most people don't even know that we have long term visitors.

I'm sorry to say, most people have no clue what a Newell is. I've been in the RV industry for over 45 years now!
Barthman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2012, 12:19 AM   #7
Newell Attack

On our last trip through California we stopped in Lake Elsinore and I have to agree with Neweller. We tried to stay at Lake Elsinore RV Resort & Marina and I was told for a single nightly stay it was okay but for their weekly or monthly rates I could not since I was contimplating a weekly stay to break up the driving etc. I asked if she knew what a Newell was and she aswered yes. I said ok How about a Prevost ? she said yes and I asked they are not allowed? the nice lady stated that her corporate policy is no rv's 15 years or older regardless of brand. Their rates at the time if anyone was interested were

45.00 nightly

245.00 Weekly

475.00 + Electric monthly for anyone with a newer then 15 year newell.

Jeff & Leann Shackly
Newell Attack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2012, 01:37 AM   #8
lbrachfe

Lie about the year if you have to, since they would not know the difference anyway, provided your coach is in excellent condition or you may be making a wasted trip and embarass yourself
lbrachfe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2012, 01:42 AM   #9
Texas Pete

That is a true damn statement Barthman! We have even had the problem at a couple of our own parks in the lone star state. It's not as widespread as some the hoolagan states but a damn problem and with the state of this union will probably not improve. I have rolled into a park and the host would ooh adn awe about how nice my coach was and then go into register and be shocked at the age.

If your traveling and plan on staying for long periods of time you best use your knoodle know what your up against.

In everything I have done. I discovered, the only person who limits you is yourself.
Texas Pete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2012, 05:15 AM   #10
chockwald

We're obviously talking completely different scenarios......we rarely stay in an RV Park more than 4-5 days. Thankfully, we're not in the mode where we spend a month, two, or three in an RV park.....our coach has wheels, and we use them to change our view. To us, sitting in one place for weeks, or months at a time seems more like living in a sticks and bricks place, and seems to defeat the whole point of having a home with wheels on it. I know everyone has a different style, for for some sitting in one place for long periods works for them. There may come a day when we decide to stay in one place for several weeks, or months, and I know when that time comes we will find a suitable place that uses common sense.
2002 Thunderbird Retro
Cannondale Tandem
Cannondale Bad Boy
Cannondale F600
2 Terra Trike Tadpoles
Intense 5.5 mountain bike
ALBUM: https://newellshowcase.com/thumbnails.php?album=213
chockwald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2012, 02:10 PM   #11
MrE

From now on, I own a 2012 replica of a 1986 Newell.
1986 40' Dog House #86
0 hp 8V92 Allison HT740
Soon to be 500hp ISM with ZF 6 Speed
MrE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2012, 05:48 PM   #12
Newell Attack

Hey Jon,

I really like your paint job, actually the more I sit here staring at your profile pic of your Newell I makes me want to start painting ours shhhhhhhh! don't tell the wife I said that lol.

Jeff & Leann Shackly
Newell Attack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2012, 09:20 PM   #13
lbrachfe

You got it, Mr. E.. We will state whatever we need to as when they see the coach in person there would be no questions.
lbrachfe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2012, 11:40 PM   #14
Neweller

I think about the bus conversion depending what state they are licensed, the year they are done is the year they are titled. It really is a big joke. I would also try and boycott those parks and resorts with silly rules. It is such a stupid rule, when you have too prejudice against nice luxury coaches such as Newell's. I understand they want to make sure that no RVs enter with windows held in by duct tape or ladders dangling from the back etc., lol. Like others have stated, some cheaply made RV lucky to last a handful of years is allowed in because its only 5-15 years old. I guess it's a good rule for companies that make the throwaway class A's, but I'll be damned If I'll own one those.

This is another reason why fellow Newell owners and other luxury coach owners need to help one another out, so that we can keep our comrades up to snuff on crazy issues like these.

Jon, I guess whatever year you acquired your Newell is the year it really is, right? It was new to you then.

If you want to sell, PM or Private Message me. Thanks!

"I know I’m not perfect, and I don't live to be. But before you start pointing fingers, make sure your hands are clean."
-Bob Marley
Neweller is offline   Reply With Quote