cruise control acting up - Luxury Coach Lifestyles
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-02-2011, 12:24 PM   #1
larryweikart

Arrow cruise control acting up

This spring, on my way to Sebring, my check engine light came on for no apparent reason. The temp gauge was in normal range and the oil pressure gauge showed steady at 50+. Also, the cruise control stopped working altogether. After a phone call to my home mechanic, and a few cautious miles on I-75 at 40mph, we determined it was probably a faulty speed sensor. The next day after shutting down for a snooze, all was back to normal. When we returned home they changed the speed sensor and all was back to normal again..............except that, on occasion, the cruise control will "cough" or "sputter. This does not turn the cruise off but it can happen several times in a row, but might not happen again for hours. It's not much fun to drive this way and we have been unable to determine the cause. Any experience with this or thoughts? (the check engine light has never come on again)

1994 Newell #365 w/Corvette, 2002 streetrod 34 ford golf cart, 2009 Smart Car, 1958 Century Coronado, 1965 Cruisers Inc, CAR & BOAT CRAZY! LOVE OUR NEWELL!
larryweikart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2011, 04:46 PM   #2
encantotom

I have a topic on this do a search on cruise control sensor adjustment at leasr on mine that is what fixed it tom

https://www.newellclassic.com/forum/album.php?albumid=8
encantotom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2011, 06:17 PM   #3
prairieschooner

Not to change the subject but still a shameless plug. Anyone upgrading from an older Dana System, I want the parts!
1982 Newell 38' (built before #1) 6V92 DD, 5 Speed Allison, 12.5 KW Kohler, Couch used to make into a Bed but I fixed it!
https://newellshowcase.com/thumbnails.php?album=214
2007 Yukon, 1981 CJ7 Laredo, 2002 Honda CRV, 1955 Thunderbird, 1952 Pontiac Sedan Delivery, 1952 Ford 8N, 1958 Airstream, 1959 Glasspar 16' Avalon, Cabin in the Woods........what will I work on next
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
prairieschooner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2011, 02:54 AM   #4
larryweikart

Thanks encan, I'll give that a look-see.
1994 Newell #365 w/Corvette, 2002 streetrod 34 ford golf cart, 2009 Smart Car, 1958 Century Coronado, 1965 Cruisers Inc, CAR & BOAT CRAZY! LOVE OUR NEWELL!
Old 11-03-2011, 03:01 AM   #5
larryweikart

Well encan I will have to get under there and look also, to see if the series 60 has the same set-up. Thank you for the reply
Old 11-03-2011, 04:22 PM   #6
busnut

You don't really have a cruise control, but a computer. The DDEC controls everything. This is a case of really checking out all your connectors. You may want to unplug everything and replug.

'94 model Newell came with 8V92TA with Allison 740 and a couple had WT4000. Some 94s had Series 60 with Allison 740 or WT4000.

Both engines had DDEC or ECM (engine computer module), but the 740 did not talk to the engine. Instead you had speed sensors. Don't recall if the sensor was in the transmission or mounted on the drive shaft. The Allison WT4000 had a TCM (transmission control module) and carried on a conversation with the ECM.

Anyway the cruise switch by the driver tells the ECM how fast you wish to travel.

So you have an ECM problem. Hopefully a bad connection somewhere in the system.
'93 43.5' #318
busnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2011, 06:25 PM   #7
encantotom

i agree and disagree. the sensors mounted on the differential that use holes in a round plate that spins on the driveshaft is what feeds the DDEC. they need to be gapped correctly. it is a hall effect transducer.

on mine i adjusted the gap and fixed this exact problem. i have the scar to prove it.

the ddec was getting an intermittant signal caused the cruise speed to drop in and out. rather jarring.

tom

https://www.newellclassic.com/forum/album.php?albumid=8
encantotom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2011, 10:56 PM   #8
Barry Rooker

Our Newell started behaving oddly while on the road, wipers would come on, lights flash, cruise on & off. It was the "clock spring" coiled paper tape inside the Smartwheel. I called Newell with the symptoms & they shipped me a new paper tape. A simple roll of brown paper with two copper ribbons on it.

Originally for Chevy pickups I was later told. Pricey at $500 but straight forward to install after pulling the steering wheel. The odd behavior stopped with a new tape. FYI: This happened at about the 100,000 miles.

Barry Rooker is offline   Reply With Quote