Tire care - Luxury Coach Lifestyles
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-06-2012, 08:14 PM   #1
Randy J

Default Tire care

What do you use as far as tire foam/cleaners/protectant type sprays for your coach tires? I am thinking of products like "Armorall Tire Foam" or something similar. We got new tires after we bought our coach. I don't want to take any chances on causing sidewall checking or premature wear. What have you used?

1991 Newell Coach
2011 Jeep Wrangler Sahara

"If I lose today, I can look forward to winning tomorrow, and if I win today, I can expect to lose tomorrow. A sure thing is no fun.”

"Sometimes I pretend to be Normal. But it gets boring. So I go back to being me." lol!
Randy J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2012, 03:18 AM   #2
The Newell

In CA the most important thing seemed to be to keep the sidewalls clean. The smog and dirt combined with the uv is what kills em at-least that is what I was told.

Home Base: Riverside, CA

If anyone needs my contact info private message me and I will send it to you.

-Joseph-
The Newell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2012, 03:21 AM   #3
Ramblin Ron

I made a quick search and found this product had good reviews

http://www.campingworld.com/shopping...or-tires/17465
Old 08-07-2012, 03:40 PM   #4
Neweller

Ron, thanks for the camping world link. I didn't see this product at camping world, but probably wasn't looking hard enough.

Randy, I have stayed for extended periods of time in the SW and the dry heat is extremely hard on tires. And I have been told by tire experts to never use products like Armor All and Son or a Gun. Products like these help suck the waxes and emollients out of your tires as with direct exposure to the suns UV rays. If tires have not been properly protected in desert areas for example, I would not even think about pushing use beyond 3-5 yrs. DOT recommends 5-7 yrs from the stamping date.

Ken
If you want to sell, PM or Private Message me. Thanks!

"I know I’m not perfect, and I don't live to be. But before you start pointing fingers, make sure your hands are clean."
-Bob Marley
Neweller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2012, 03:57 PM   #5
lbrachfe

Both Goodyear and Michelin have been using UV protection in the tire composition for several years now that protects against most of the stated issues. The only reason for tire dressing on most quality tires that are less than 5 years old is to make them look good. Armor All Tire Foam is cheap and does the job of cleaning the dirt off.
lbrachfe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2012, 04:05 PM   #6
lbrachfe

Michelin suggests that in extreme climates when standing for long periods that you use a barrier like a piece of wood or plastic under each tire to prevent moisture from being sucked from the rubber by concrete. ALL the tire products are for show and pro drivers never use them. They have the tires scrubbed clean and NO dressing at all.Newell suggests you changed your steer tires out every 3 years and the others in 5 years. Michelin has a chart on their website and indicates with some tires you can run them for 7 years
lbrachfe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2012, 09:18 PM   #7
prairieschooner

I read somewhere that we should use a barrier under the tire (like lbrachfe stated) when at storage.
From what I have read the Steer Tires should be changed earlier because of the extra load on that end of the coach. I really didn't spend much time trying to understand all because our coach is only 30 years old and I don't think that the problem existed in '82.
1982 Newell 38' (built before #1) 6V92 DD, 5 Speed Allison, 12.5 KW Kohler, Couch used to make into a Bed but I fixed it!
https://newellshowcase.com/thumbnails.php?album=214
2007 Yukon, 1981 CJ7 Laredo, 2002 Honda CRV, 1955 Thunderbird, 1952 Pontiac Sedan Delivery, 1952 Ford 8N, 1958 Airstream, 1959 Glasspar 16' Avalon, Cabin in the Woods........what will I work on next
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
prairieschooner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2012, 03:20 AM   #8
Randy J

Thanks for the response. I know it's true but it's crazy to think these pro drivers and celebs indorse products yet they don't use them. And to top it off they don't use anything at all? It's all about the money. They should throw down their cards. I'm not into bluffs!

1991 Newell Coach
2011 Jeep Wrangler Sahara

"If I lose today, I can look forward to winning tomorrow, and if I win today, I can expect to lose tomorrow. A sure thing is no fun.”

"Sometimes I pretend to be Normal. But it gets boring. So I go back to being me." lol!
Randy J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2012, 11:24 AM   #9
nav star

I use the basic Armorall or Black Tire, a must if you live in hot dry areas, basically anything to kind of keep some moisture in the tires...
nav star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2012, 12:58 PM   #10
Neweller

Nav Star, a lot of tire manufacturers don't really recommend Armorall too much. They say it doesn't do a great job of holding in the emollients as one might think. The product does have its uses and you can uses it if you choose. There are a lot of proponents for and against it depending on what side of the isle you are.

Ken

If you want to sell, PM or Private Message me. Thanks!

"I know I’m not perfect, and I don't live to be. But before you start pointing fingers, make sure your hands are clean."
-Bob Marley
Neweller is offline   Reply With Quote