1980 sliding window - Luxury Coach Lifestyles
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-16-2012, 08:15 PM   #1
maxx repp

Default 1980 sliding window

have a 1980 with a cracked siding window on the passenger side in the coach area ..want to replace the sliding window only .. have taken the trim plate off the window, removed the bug screen ... was wondering do I have to pull out the whole window or can I pop out the cracked sliding window that is cracked did not want to force to many things so hope someone can give me some insight on window relacement

maxx repp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2012, 12:08 AM   #2
encantotom

howdy,

not clear from your description which window is cracked. if it is the slider, you can remove it and take it to a glass company and have them make a new pane for it out of auto safety glass. matt knows alot more about that than any of us.

if it is one of the fixed panes, then a glass company should still be able to replace it. if you have glass coverage on your coach it might even be covered.

a word of caution, if you have the trim ring entirely off on the inside, the window can fall out. it appears to be solid but in any heat the bond weakens and it can just plop out.

tom

https://www.newellclassic.com/forum/album.php?albumid=8
encantotom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2012, 01:09 AM   #3
maxx repp

the pane that is cracked is the slider on the passenger side the pane/window is in the living area I did take the trim ring off but replaced it for now I guess my question is? to replace the pane can I pop it out of the channel and if so how or do I need to remove the whole window thanks for the reply
Old 06-17-2012, 01:21 AM   #4
encantotom

the short answer is you should be able to take the slider out and replace the pane then. there are various tricks to getting the slider out based on what brand of window it is. newell used several different ones.

i would not take the entire window out. it is a pain in the neck. i know as i replaced all the windows in my 90.

the key is being able to lift the slider up enough to get it to clear the bottom track. you may have to remove the plastic strip on the top and bottom that the slider probably rides on.

just look and experiment. you will be able to get it out. they got it in....

tom

Old 06-18-2012, 12:03 PM   #5
jwe648

I had to replace several cracked windows, it was a few years older coach than yours. I had to remove the entire window and take the frame apart. I had a local glass company make the windows. Mine were tinted green, that was a bit hard to find.. I also replaced the channels as they were worn.. Newell had the channel in stock.. It's not hard but takes a bit of time..
Old 06-18-2012, 02:58 PM   #6
77newell

On my 77 coach with parallelagram windows the only way I could get the panes out was to remove the whole window. THe hard part was getting the sealant to release the window frame from the side of the coach but a little persuasion with a thin putty knife with the corners rounded off so as not to scratch the paint worked fine. Dis-assembly of the window once out of the coach is obvious. Newell parts has new seal material for the slider though it seems somewhat thicker, and therefore a tighter slide, than the original.

jon - 77 coach - 2007 civic toad
77newell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2012, 12:07 AM   #7
maxx repp

Just wanted to thank everyone with the help on my slidining window ended up poping it out of the channel not hard but take your time ...I took a chance and did not remove the whole window as some sugested had a new piece of glass cut and pop it right back in .. no worries window works as advertised ... again thanks to all that replied
Old 06-20-2012, 01:20 AM   #8
encantotom

glad it worked out. i was pretty sure you wouldnt have to take the entire window out.

tom