air bags - Page 2 - Luxury Coach Lifestyles
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-06-2010, 10:34 AM   #21
gaz

Default gaz

hi gaz in australia here,we have been on the road for 6 weeks,and have got a leaking air bag on the front does anyone know the part number and or were i can get replacmemt bag i will renew the four of them

my newell is a 1980 38ft 6v92 non turbo

thanks gary and suzie

gaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2010, 11:50 AM   #22
jwe648

Default The P/N is on the endcaps

You will most likley need to pull a bag to find the p/n as it is on the end cap between the two mounting bolts. With that you should be able to google one up.. Try this site for starters when you get the P/N
http://www.truckspring.com/suspensio...-air-bags.aspx

Be sure you crib the coach sooo you don't get stuck downunder in the down under...

Jimmy

Quote:
Originally Posted by gaz View Post
hi gaz in australia here,we have been on the road for 6 weeks,and have got a leaking air bag on the front does anyone know the part number and or were i can get replacmemt bag i will renew the four of them

my newell is a 1980 38ft 6v92 non turbo

thanks gary and suzie

Old 07-06-2010, 05:50 PM   #23
James Tuckness

I found the best price on bags at Stengel Bros. Inc., sales@stengelbros.com. 2b9-201 bags for $113.19 each. About $25 less than the best other price I found. Shipping in USA 3 day UPS $22.16. The 2b stands for 2 bellows, 9" dia. 201 is carry capacity. Local heave truck shop says 2-3 years life span for bags on heavy truck/dump truck apps. Coach life will be longer. I was given estimate of $1,300 for change out of 4 bags. The newest bag on my coach is a 1990 change-out. The rest may be original? 39 years old. Guess I got about all I can out of them. Let you know how the change out goes.

James Tuckness
71 30' work in progress.
James Tuckness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2010, 07:55 PM   #24
Bill & Sonja

Default 87 tag axle air bag

Just a shot in the dark, as I realize I'll likely have to pull a bag for the number. But does anyone happen to have a part number for an 87 tag axle air bag. Mine are Firestone. Bill
Bill & Sonja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2010, 11:10 PM   #25
jwe648

Default Indentify

This link show ways to identify the bag ...
http://www.truckspring.com/suspensio...tion-tips.aspx

Hope it helps...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill & Sonja View Post
Just a shot in the dark, as I realize I'll likely have to pull a bag for the number. But does anyone happen to have a part number for an 87 tag axle air bag. Mine are Firestone. Bill
Old 07-09-2010, 02:03 AM   #26
Bill & Sonja

The tag axle bag on our 87 is "Airide Springs by Firestone" , number on the air bag (rubber) appears to be - AY IT 15L ( what was previously noted as a "S" appears to be a backwards "2") F - near as I can tell. There are not any numbers on the top of the bag plate. There are two numbers under the bottom bag hardware. PN NBD 9661 and on a separate line - IT 15T 3 -

This bag has two studs to secure it on the top plate and one on the bottom centre. A large air hose enters on the edge between the two top studs on the tire side.

Newell is sending me a Goodyear Bag of the same configuration. I will post those numbers when I get it.

I have edited due to errors in reading the numbers prior to extensive cleaning.

--------------------- added info

New GoodYear air bag has been received from Newell and installed. Price from Newell was very reasonable and service was great. UPS delivery to Canada is another story, slow and very high brokerage fees over and above deliver and tax costs.

Newell's description of the bag on the invoice is - BAG AIR R/W 1003589447C STEER
the paper tag attached to the bag reads - 1R11-066
imprinted in the rubber - 566-22-3-021
on the bottom plate - 6 203 and AS3-20-7-055
I'm not sure what all these numbers mean but they must have some significance.
Bill & Sonja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2010, 11:26 AM   #27
gaz

Default airbag

hi if you go to the truck spring site and put the last four digits from your piston (lower plate) in search box yours is 15L-3 that will give a range of bags to compare sizes ,when you get the right one go to stengal bros site and cross reference the number,this it what i did last friday and they shipped them to me in aussie should get them this week good luck

thanks for the info on the forum

gary susie

1980 38 ft and vitara toad
gaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2010, 07:39 PM   #28
James Tuckness

Update on change-out of air bags on 71 30' coach. One person working it took 24 hours to do all work necessary. Hard work I will say. Just part of why restoration of one of these older coaches takes so long. You have to love it or you would never do it.

James Tuckness
71 30' 7 years in process. Glad it's down to maintenance work now.
James Tuckness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2011, 11:49 PM   #29
afrench45

Does anyone know how much Newell charges to change a bag? My right front must be leaking because it is not holding air. Or could be a valve. Thinking going to Newell might be the easiest to solve the problem
afrench45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2011, 02:04 AM   #30
larryweikart

Don't know where you live, but a good Truck Center can save you time and dollars My guys,Stoops, can fix most chassis items on my 94. Good Luck.
1994 Newell #365 w/Corvette, 2002 streetrod 34 ford golf cart, 2009 Smart Car, 1958 Century Coronado, 1965 Cruisers Inc, CAR & BOAT CRAZY! LOVE OUR NEWELL!
larryweikart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2011, 02:18 AM   #31
RussWhite

First thing anyone will want to do is find the leak. As you say it could be the bag, or valve, or even fittings or hose.

I bit the bullet and purchased an ultrasonic leak detctor because I do not like spraying watery mixtures around and watched them drip on me.

Check is out if you have time:

711-202-G1 Inficon Whisper Ultrasonic Leak Detector

It beeps when there is a leak and it even has headphones too. It should be able to find the leak quickly for you and then you can decide how you want to proceed from there. The seats on the solenoid valves are know to harden and leak. Good luck. Russ
RussWhite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2011, 02:45 AM   #32
encantotom

airbags are a very common item. going all the way to newell for that is kinda goofy in my eyes.

i use a local charter bus company that has a huge maintainence and repair shop and have gotten to be friends with the service manager. he works on private busses as a way to fill his guys time.

i was there one time and watched them change a rear airbag on a prevost in about 15 minutes.

within ten miles of my house are two places that would change an airbag easily.

so i agree with the others, find a bus repair facility or truck suspension repair place or other shop and i am sure then can do it easily.

tom

https://www.newellclassic.com/forum/album.php?albumid=8
encantotom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2011, 11:36 PM   #33
leobess

Default air bag suspension

Hi, I have a problem with my air suspension, my coach is a 84 model. I had all new solenoids replaced and also new air bags. The problem is this, when I start the engine and get the correct air pressure, it wont airup in the travel mode.if I flip the switch to the level mode it will air up.by not airing in the travel I mean the front and the rear does not work.Is there some kind of fuse,or switch that has to be resetI'm at a loss as what to do next. any help any one of you could give, I wood really appreciate it. thanks in advance Leobess
leobess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2011, 12:29 AM   #34
GORDON HUMMEL

I suspect that when the solonoids were replaced, they were not wired back correctly. I'm assuming you have the same 6 pack solonoids as the later models. Looking at my 6 pack, the travel solonoids are on the right. down on the left; up in the middle. Get a test light & go back to the solonoids & with the engine running, you should have power to the travel solonoids. If you have power & they are working, then you have a plumbing problem with the air lines.
In as much as you can level manually, I suspect the plumbing is ok. Might want to have someone operate the up & down switches while you check out power to the solonoids with a test light.
On my coach, the power to activate the travel solonoids comes of a solonoid that I think goes to the transmission.

If the above does not help, a close up picture of the rear 6 pack would helpful
1991 41.5' #266
8v92
2009 Pontiac Vibe GT Toad
Fulltime on the road
GORDON HUMMEL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2011, 12:31 AM   #35
afrench45

I'm not familiar with the leveling with the vintage on your coach, but mine has a leveling override switch. If your coach has that, I wonder if there is something wrong with that preventing it from going into travel mode.
Old 12-13-2011, 12:42 AM   #36
rheavn

Tom,
Where is the leveling override switch located on your coach? Hope mine has one.
Old 12-13-2011, 01:05 AM   #37
encantotom

the leveling override on mine i believe is on the center console dash.

signed....the other tom

https://www.newellclassic.com/forum/album.php?albumid=8
encantotom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2011, 01:15 AM   #38
afrench45

Yea mines in the dash by all the other switches. Top left. I use it to raise my coach and back into my driveway.
Old 12-13-2011, 01:20 AM   #39
prairieschooner

does your control panel have a Red Light that comes on when you switch the toggle switch to the Level Mode? there would be a separate toggle for each front solenoid (2) and each rear solenoid (2)
1982 Newell 38' (built before #1) 6V92 DD, 5 Speed Allison, 12.5 KW Kohler, Couch used to make into a Bed but I fixed it!
https://newellshowcase.com/thumbnails.php?album=214
2007 Yukon, 1981 CJ7 Laredo, 2002 Honda CRV, 1955 Thunderbird, 1952 Pontiac Sedan Delivery, 1952 Ford 8N, 1958 Airstream, 1959 Glasspar 16' Avalon, Cabin in the Woods........what will I work on next
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
prairieschooner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2011, 01:40 PM   #40
leobess

Default air suspension

thanks for all the info, I sure could use it. I think I forgot to mention that everthing works great. I took a trip out west and went to Fla. and had no problems. One day I came back from a short trip, and parked the coach. Two days later I wanted to start it up, and it would not air up in the travel mode.Again I wood like to thank all you guys for the info, I dont know what I wood do with out you. Leobess

leobess is offline   Reply With Quote