Tech Talk Archives 11 - Page 2 - Luxury Coach Lifestyles
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-08-2012, 08:29 PM   #21
Neweller

A
1354 6/29/2004 5:01:38 AM 6/29/2004 TechTalk Staff TechTalk@newellcoach.com Sharing Info with classic owners! It sounds like the coach you are looking at has worn shock absorbers. The coach should not "bounce" excessively. We recommend the shock absorbers be replaced.

If you want to sell, PM or Private Message me. Thanks!

"I know I知 not perfect, and I don't live to be. But before you start pointing fingers, make sure your hands are clean."
-Bob Marley
Neweller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 08:30 PM   #22
Neweller

A
1356 6/30/2004 11:22:33 AM 6/30/2004 Jon Kabbe jckabbe@earthlink.net Sharing Info with classic owners! My 1977 bounced rather badly with the Koni shocks set at their lowest setting and improved dramatically when adjusted to the 3rd setting. I just reset them to the number 4 setting and the ride is even better. This confirms the TeckTalk staff note just above in my mind. If your shocks can be adjusted see if they can be adjusted stiffer as mine were able to do. If not, get new ones.

"I know I知 not perfect, and I don't live to be. But before you start pointing fingers, make sure your hands are clean."
-Bob Marley
Old 10-09-2012, 06:03 AM   #23
Neweller

A
1357 7/1/2004 5:54:13 PM 7/1/2004 Rich Farr toptin@cox.net Rear Suspension 1979 Newell 38' 2 axle. Servicing coach after Vc in Texas, and noticed right side drive axle slightly out of alignment (approximately 1 inch toward rear of coach).
Examined underneath and discovered one broken leaf in right rear spring. Also air bags slightly out of alignment. Looks like centering bolt through middle of leaf spring might have sheared/broken and slipped things back a bit. Still drives perfect and roads in Texas weren't that rough. Any experience or guidance appreciated before I begin repair.
Thanks in advance.

-Bob Marley
Old 10-09-2012, 06:03 AM   #24
Neweller

Q
1358 7/1/2004 6:03:17 PM 7/1/2004 Rich Farr toptin@cox.net 12.5 Kohler Diesel Generator 1979 Newell 38'. Performing major service on Kohler Diesel genset - Perkins 4.108 engine - ser # ED22433U538032F.
Our book shows oil capacity of approx 4 1/2 US quarts, but that doesn't even show on the dipstick (which has been extended so can check oil without sliding out genset). Suspect genset has oversize oil pan. Appreciate comments and capacities. Don't want to overfill.
Thanks in advance.

-Bob Marley
Old 10-09-2012, 06:03 AM   #25
Neweller

Q
1359 7/1/2004 6:10:06 PM 7/2/2004 Rich Farr toptin@cox.net 1979 Newell Bendix air brakes Performing major service in preparation for trip to Disneyworld and plan to have brakes checked out and adjusted. Would like to understand more about air brakes on our particular coach. Are they the S-Cam type? OR? They work well - but this would be good chance to upgrade if needed. Thanks in advance for comments.

-Bob Marley
Old 10-09-2012, 06:03 AM   #26
Neweller

Q
1361 7/4/2004 8:30:15 AM 7/4/2004 STEVE SHEPARD drshep1@bellsouth.net HYBRIDES AND HYDROGEN OR GREEN FUEL RVS A 55,000 pound Newell will perform a lot different with a hybird engine than a Toyota. The engine in the Newell is one of the most efficient engines made. The Detroit Diesel turbocharged engine is an engineering marvel and has flawless performance. The advantage of the diesel electric concept is the high efficiency multiplication of torque for the train engines. The Allison transmission is also an engineering marvel. It will be a long time before hydrogen will be flowing through pipelines. Every leak turns into a 5000 degree invisible flame, and it results in tremendous explosions. At the Stennis Space Center they have to purge the pipelines for 2 days with pure nitrogen before unloading the liquid hydrogen off the barges. Any oxygen left in the pipe is self-cleaning because after the explosion they have to replace the pipe line! With a hydrogen economy there is not enough natural gas to power the electic plants to decompose water into hydrogen and oxygen. In other words a hydrogen economy is a long way off despite what some of the "green" politicians say. Bio-fuel such as alcohol is a political issue and would be moot without government subsidies. How much diesel fuel does it take to grow and harvest enough corn to make a gallon of alcohol? A corn farm with an alcohol plant on it will be an energy sink, i.e., it will take a lot more energy to operate than it can produce.

-Bob Marley
Old 10-09-2012, 06:04 AM   #27
Neweller

A
1362 7/4/2004 4:19:59 PM 7/4/2004 g j gregbusj@aol.com New Tires I operate an entertainer's coach, currently using Michelin XZAs on all axles. When new tires are needed, I put them on the steer axle, usually for a maximum of 50-60,000 miles. They are removed before any typical steer axle wear patterns start, and they are rotated back to the bogie or drive axle. Occasionally new tires are required for the drive axle out of this sequence, mounted as a new pair (never an old tire mated to a new tire). Bogie axle never gets new tires, due to the greater amount of scuffing they seem to endure. This formula has worked well for almost 20 years, without a road failure.
Monitor tire pressure often!!

-Bob Marley
Old 10-09-2012, 06:04 AM   #28
Neweller

A
1363 7/6/2004 9:35:23 PM 7/7/2004 Dean Stoops 67gto@myvine.com New Tires Many racers use Nitrogen. The greatest advantage for them is that the pressure stays constant over a greater temperature range. I replaced all 6 of my tires with Goodyear Wingfoot "steer" tires. [Editor's note: Newell had good experience with Goodyear tires prior to 1997. However, with the change to 315/22.5 metric sized tires, we experienced very poor reliability with Goodyear tires, with sudden tread separations and blowouts. Therefore, we do not recommend Goodyear tires in the 315/22.5 size.] They work well...smooth and quiet. I'm thinking that the main reason the "big rigs" use different tires on the rear is for traction while accelerating. Since I dont drive my coach in the snow or mud I felt OK with trading traction for smooth and quiet.

-Bob Marley
Old 10-09-2012, 06:04 AM   #29
Neweller

A
1364 7/6/2004 9:56:06 PM 7/7/2004 Dean Stoops 67gto@myvine.com HYBRIDES AND HYDROGEN OR GREEN FUEL RVS With all due respect to James, your argument would be more effectively made if you would refine your grammar, spelling, and use of CAPS! My interest is in clean quiet electricity generation. It seems that I read about a generator that used Hydrogen to produce electricity through a chemical reaction. The initial application considered was for RV use. At the moment I'm considering solar panels on the roof. I'd be interested in comments from anyone who has experience or knowledge about either of these technologys.

-Bob Marley
Old 10-09-2012, 06:04 AM   #30
Neweller

A
1365 7/6/2004 10:08:44 PM 7/7/2004 Dean Stoops 67gto@myvine.com 1979 Newell Bendix air brakes Rich,
My '78 had wedge brakes. When one of the rear actuators pushed it's way off of the backing plate I decided to upgrade to S cam style.I bought all of the "non wearing" parts from a salvadge yard ( backing plates,rocker arms, and brackets etc.). I purchased new actuators, shoes, and drums. The braking capacity was increased by approximately 20%. The front brakes are still "wedge" but I'll convert them as well when they need replacement. I was very satisfied with the performance of the original brakes but decided to upgrade to more commonly available components.

-Bob Marley
Old 10-09-2012, 06:04 AM   #31
Neweller

A
1366 7/7/2004 1:07:05 PM 7/9/2004 Rich Farr toptin@cox.net 1979 Newell Bendix air brakes Dean - thank you!! I believe our coach also has the wedge brakes since the actuators sit differently from the trucks I have examined. They work well, but am considering upgrade for same reasons - especially on the rear. Question - are the brakes, shoes, etc., the same size, or did you need to change hubs? Also, how about the air balancing valves and controls? If you have any BOM you could share, it would be much appreciated.

-Bob Marley
Old 10-09-2012, 06:05 AM   #32
Neweller

A
1368 7/9/2004 11:13:54 AM 7/9/2004 john leuenberger jeleuen@cox.net 12.5 Kohler Diesel Generator Rich, '82 Newell 36'. Have same gen and also did complete preventive mx last yr. Oil capacity is 8 qts. Filled with Delo 15-40. Presume oil pan oversized for greater safety margin. Run one or both roof a/c's for summer travel since engine a/c inop. Just completed trip Fl to San Diego probably ran gen 100 hrs, no oil consumption. Works great but a bit noisy.

-Bob Marley
Old 10-09-2012, 06:05 AM   #33
Neweller

A
1369 7/9/2004 12:14:52 PM 7/9/2004 john leuenberger jeleuen@cox.net Sharing Info with classic owners! Nice to see info for classic owners since we seem to have common questions. Installed 4 new Gabriel shocks on my '82 36', results were unsatisfactory. Very bad bounce. So installed Koni's on the front, at a mid setting, much improved result. Koni instructions say the total adjustment range is 5 half turns. Jon K's description sounds like his might be a little different. Considering putting Koni's on rear also and setting front even firmer. Comments anyone? My experience is to spend the extra money for Koni's. Also appreciate flooring comments. Carpet just too hard to keep clean. Any ideas on how to open rear windows without getting a hernia? Just finished over 4000 miles Fl to San Diego towing light car. Engine temps a concern during high altitude climbs in Western states, up to 210 and sometimes higher. Temps normally 190 to 200 at level cruise. Wondering if temp gauge accurate, since it is 22 yrs old and some distance from engine. Cleaned rad 3 times to help. Any suggestions on whether replacement gauge justified, maybe digital, plus hard to see current one. Overall the Newell showed it's a fine coach with quality construction and was a pleasure to travel in .

-Bob Marley
Old 10-09-2012, 06:05 AM   #34
Neweller

A
1370 7/9/2004 1:46:41 PM 7/9/2004 Rich Farr toptin@cox.net 12.5 Kohler Diesel Generator John - Thank you much - As a matter of fact, had to order new dipstick (original broke). Just received today. Substutited with 1992 S10 4.3 Chev. Perfect length and operating markings in exactly the right place. So far, have installed 5 quarts which barely show. Was planning to add 1 Quart at a time until arrived at correct capacity.
Called Perkins and they said it was either 8 or 10 quarts. Next challenge is to find out where to have injectors cleaned and checked. Perkins says they are no longer available new.
Sounds like you are giving your coach a good workout.
We certainly love ours. It's theraputic for me to work on the rolling stock and surprisingly - these older ones attract more attention than many newer models. Some kind of a movement developing around older classic RV's.
Best,
Rich
Thanks again.

-Bob Marley
Old 10-09-2012, 06:05 AM   #35
Neweller

A
1371 7/11/2004 10:00:19 PM 7/14/2004 Bill wrssr@msn.com 1974 Newell Ross Steering Box Do you think your engineer could give me the correct Ross model number on my steering box so I can rebuild it. My Coach VIN number is 3006RE1017D5H. When engine not running, the steering turns almost 1/2 turn of free-play. Having a hard time, as I stated before in previous letters, that it wanders bad on the highway. I've checked all tie-rod ends and they are good. New Toyo tires on front end - alignment setting you gave me are correct. If I can get the correct model number I will buy a repair manual for that steering gear and adjust box accordingly.

Thanks
Bill

-Bob Marley
Old 10-09-2012, 06:05 AM   #36
Neweller

Q
1372 7/12/2004 10:04:00 AM 7/14/2004 Dean Stoops 67gto@myvine.com 12.5 Kohler Diesel Generator That Perkins was widely used in both Newell and B.Bird. Mine works great but is noisy as well. Several things I am considering. Much of the noise outside seems to come through the radiator. I'm condsidering modifying the front cover so that it extends out away from the body , filling the gap between the body and the front bumper. Imagine a "air scoop" similar in shape to GM's cowl induction hoods only placed vertically so it draws the air in from below the bumper. I have already done a "mock-up" with cardboard and it seemed to not affect cooling at all.
Another modification I am considering is to mount the whole gen exhaust system to the cradle so that it moves with the gen when you slide it out, thus avoiding having to crawl under to loosen that pipe union. When I do that I'll be looking for a quieter muffler as well!
I'd be interested in any other ideas to HUSH IT up!!!!
Dean

-Bob Marley
Old 10-09-2012, 06:06 AM   #37
Neweller

A
1373 7/12/2004 10:19:35 AM 7/14/2004 Dean Stoops 67gto@myvine.com 1979 Newell Bendix air brakes Rich,
If I remember correctly we used the same hubs but the drums were 1" larger in diameter. Am I right in thinking the drums can be removed from the hub? I remember seeing the new drums, shoes and actuators laying there in the shop. I believe the new brakes are rated for 20,000#. I'm not aware of any adjustments that were made to the air system. This work was done at my buddy's shop. He owned a trucking Co. at the time with several qualified brake tech.s so I just let them do it and trusted them to set it up right. I think the cost was around $1000.00.
Sorry, Rich I don't know what BOM is!
Dean

-Bob Marley
Old 10-09-2012, 06:10 AM   #38
Neweller

A
1375 7/12/2004 5:28:11 PM 7/14/2004 Rich Farr toptin@cox.net Sharing Info with classic owners! Our 79 38' also commits some moderate front end bounce if roads get bumpy. Didn't pay attention to it until saw comments on bulletin board. Solution to date has been speed reduction, but it can get a little exciting if the bumps are unexpected. Adjustable KONI's sound like the ticket. Would appreciate if anyone would share correct KONI part numbers. Thanks in advance.
Rich Farr

-Bob Marley
Old 10-09-2012, 06:10 AM   #39
Neweller

A
1376 7/12/2004 6:10:47 PM 7/14/2004 Rich Farr toptin@cox.net 12.5 Kohler Diesel Generator Here is some FYI service info/comments on 12.5 KW Kohler Genset with 4.108 Perkins diesel. Just completed major service: adjust valves (.012 cold), antifreeze (50/50), oil (Mobil 15/40), filters (fuel & oil), clean electrical connections, bead-blast, paint engine, check/adjust fan belt and idler pulley, hoses, misc & etc..
Oil capacity (on ours) is 10 US quarts (79 year model).
Don't try changing Perkins fuel filter unless you are a pro and/or have book with 'correct' pictures and air bleed sequence instructions. Got serious 4 hour education on that piece of project. Lot's of colorful metaphors. Playing mechanic could endanger a man's relationship with our great Creator. Wife finally came to rescue with cold and calming liquid refreshment\humor. As usual, if the guy who designed it had to work on it, he would have made it 'lots' friendlier. Works great now, but would still like to top off service by having injectors (Perkins = Atomizers) cleaned/tested if can find good diesel shop in Tulsa area that does Perkins. Recommendations welcomed.
Also need to say - The info exchange on this bulletin board is tremendous for helping us keep our classic Newell in top condition. Appreciate all conversations and info exchange.
Best,
Rich Farr

-Bob Marley
Old 10-09-2012, 06:10 AM   #40
Neweller

A
1377 7/13/2004 4:19:37 PM 7/14/2004 Jon Kabbe jckabbe@earthlink.net Sharing Info with classic owners! To: John L; We have the same shocks, I just called it clicks for some stupid reason, I'm at setting 4 out of 5. I have the same problem sliding all the windows open. I tried all sorts of lubricants and nothing helped. I had been told that installing new welting would make them perhaps even stiffer, but in my attempt to cut down on winter drafts I needed to install new welting on the copilot's window and the window in the door. Gary Streeter at Newell Parts sold me the welting and I sprayed the groove with Dow Corning 557 Aluminum Lubricant prior to installing the welting. The windows freed up and are easy to slide. I suspect that the lubricant, which dries and still lubes, allows the welting to give slightly as the window slides so that it doesn't get tight. I'm thinking of changing the welting on all the sliding windows. If I do I'll let you all know how it worked. Now, if anyone knows of a source for the rubber seal for the fixed part of the sliding window where the glass fits into the groove I'd like to be nnotified. If you use silicone RTV as someone did on the copilot's window it takes forever to loosen the glass without breaking it, the original rubber seal makes it much easier. Hope this helps

-Bob Marley