How do I remove Mildew? - Luxury Coach Lifestyles
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-26-2012, 10:33 PM   #1
David Carrol

Exclamation How do I remove Mildew?

Does anyone have a solution for Removing mildew build up? Nothing I have tried seems to get it off.

Thanks,
David

Old 10-26-2012, 11:06 PM   #2
Neweller

Hey David, what are you trying to clean up? Bathroom area or fabric? Most products are bleach based that work pretty good. You can over pay for some diluted bleach products with fragrances added such as X-11 or Tilex and just mix up your own concoctions with a 50/50 bleach and water. Fumes are the only thing you may have an issue with, but diluted is much less of an issue. For other clean-up you can dilute even more.

If you want to sell, PM or Private Message me. Thanks!

"I know I’m not perfect, and I don't live to be. But before you start pointing fingers, make sure your hands are clean."
-Bob Marley
Neweller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2012, 12:42 AM   #3
The Newell

I found this article thought It may be of use to someone about removing mildew.

Motstenbocker's Lift Off #1 is a a new biodegradable and water based product and is designed to specifically remove stains such as: coffee, tea, juice, soda, sauces, ketchup, mustard, blood, grass, pet stains, liquor, chocolate, jelly, barbecue and soy sauce and red wine. It can be used on: carpets, fabrics, rubber, metal, formica, tile, vinyl, wall coverings, clothes, furniture, plastic and delicates. It works better than existing products; it works in the same reactionary time; it is safe on all surfaces; it costs the same or less than other products; it is safe for the user and again, it is water based and biodegradable!

Old Method

Mold, fungus, and mildew are vegetative growths which are caused by spores in the air. They thrive in warm, damp, dark poorly ventilated environments such as a shower area in a bathroom. In order to eliminate mildew you cannot just clean it away. Instead, you must kill it like a weed on your front lawn. A disinfectant cleaner with mold and mildew claims will kill these fungi when used according to label directions. The amount of time on a surface increases the effectiveness of these products.

The least expensive solution to this problem (and more aggressive to surface) is common bleach, as a sanitizer which will kill mold and mildew on contact. Mix one part of chlorine bleach diluted with 3 parts of water, allow to stand on surface for 10 to15 minutes, agitate with a soft scrub brush, rinsed down with water, and allow to air dry. TEST AN INCONSPICUOUS AREA WITH BLEACH BEFORE ATTEMPTING AN ENTIRE AREA. IF DISCOLORATION OCCURS, FURTHER DILUTE BLEACH WITH WATER.

Your next option would be store-bought X-14®, Tilex® etc. with the same instructions as bleach. Then, an EPA registered spray disinfectant with mold mildew claims like Lysol®.

The latest, revolutionary "green" user-friendly, environmentally preferred product to perform this type of cleaning task is "H2Orange2®". It is a total, neutral PH product when added to water and has the lowest toxicity of any product in the marketplace. It contains only 3 ingredients: natural citrus oil (from orange peel) which penetrates and breaks down soils; Surfactants (detergency) which dissolve and suspend soils to prevent streaking; and hydrogen peroxide which OXIDIZES MOLD AND MILDEW, acts as an optical brightener, and safely bleaches out stains.

NOTE: Always test an inconspicuous area for colorfastness, etc. before treating the exposed area. Also note that certain stains are permanent.

Home Base: Riverside, CA

If anyone needs my contact info private message me and I will send it to you.

-Joseph-
The Newell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2012, 01:19 AM   #4
prairieschooner

If this were Fiberglass or Wood I would suggest a mild solution of Bleach and Water. The problem here is that I am not sure what you are trying to clean. Here is what I know, Mold/Mildew needs Moisture or Humidity to survive.
I would start with ventilation and trying to dry the area or areas. Maybe using a Dry Heat and Plenty of Air Circulating as a start. On Boats the is a De-Humidifier that is basically a small Heater and a Fan to Circulate Dry Air.
Here are is a link that you may find helpful;
Mold and Mildew
1982 Newell 38' (built before #1) 6V92 DD, 5 Speed Allison, 12.5 KW Kohler, Couch used to make into a Bed but I fixed it!
https://newellshowcase.com/thumbnails.php?album=214
2007 Yukon, 1981 CJ7 Laredo, 2002 Honda CRV, 1955 Thunderbird, 1952 Pontiac Sedan Delivery, 1952 Ford 8N, 1958 Airstream, 1959 Glasspar 16' Avalon, Cabin in the Woods........what will I work on next
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
prairieschooner is offline   Reply With Quote