I've got to ask who drives? - Luxury Coach Lifestyles
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-29-2012, 12:25 AM   #1
Hugo

Question I've got to ask who drives?

I drive and the wife relaxes and enjoys the ride. I told her if she can drive a car she can drive the Newell but she refuses. So I was curious as to how many couples out there can say that they both drive thelr Newell? or if only one of you drives? Or if there are ladies alone who drive their Newell with no problems, please share. I look forward to the response and maybe they will be encourging to my wife to give it a try.
Old 07-29-2012, 01:46 AM   #2
Richard and Rhonda

Welcome to the forum.

Rhonda will drive on the rural interstate. She stays in the right lane and will not pass anything. She is amazed that I will sleep while she drives.
CoMotion Tandem
Often wrong, but seldom in doubt
Rhonda's chronicle https://wersquared.wordpress.com/
Richard and Rhonda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2012, 02:27 AM   #3
chockwald

I know Tom McCloud's (encantotom) wife has driven their 1990, but I don't know if she has driven the 2002 yet. Elaine is not interested in me being her teacher.....I can't imagine why....:-). She relaxes, reads, and enjoys the view. Right now I am happy to be able to do all the driving....it is one of my favorite things to do in life.
2002 Thunderbird Retro
Cannondale Tandem
Cannondale Bad Boy
Cannondale F600
2 Terra Trike Tadpoles
Intense 5.5 mountain bike
ALBUM: https://newellshowcase.com/thumbnails.php?album=213
chockwald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2012, 11:20 PM   #4
tuga

Hugo,

My wife Karen drives the Newell with no problems. She has taken the coach alone on 700 mile trips to Georgia to visit family & friends. She can do anything that she wants to with that coach; including backing into an RV site.

She can check the oil, fluid levels, add air to the tires using the coach air compressor, run the slides in and out, and she does a fair job of polishng the rims.

Any woman who wants to can drive a Newell.
Coach #512
2005 Pilot
tuga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2012, 11:42 PM   #5
Chester B. Stone, Jr.

A few years ago I blew an almost new front tire on I-10 at 70MPH. After that, my wife never drove again and I agree that she probably could not have handled the rig. Something to think about.
2001 Newell #579
tow a 2011 Honda Odyssey
1935 Mercedes 500K replica
Chester B. Stone, Jr. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2012, 07:04 AM   #6
Newell Tank

Hugo, my wife has driven our coach many times over the years and does a fine job. She had pulled our old fiver prior, so the intimidation was mostly behind her.

Chester B., I have never experieced a front like that and I don't want to. Did you really have to hang on for the world? Man! I kind of like having my wife drive on some of the boring highways and if she sees this post I might be in trouble.

When I'm not flying high, I like to be down low in my Tank. Newell Tank that is!
Newell Tank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2012, 01:54 PM   #7
Chester B. Stone, Jr.

Gene, in response to your question, yes. I was driving a Country Coach and it was all I could do to control the rig. First, ran off to the right side of the highway, then to the left side of the highway before I could control it. I was lucky I did not roll it or hit by a semi. She simply would not have been strong enough to control the steering wheel. After this experience, I upgraded my Newell front tires to the 365s without even questioning the decision or cost.
2001 Newell #579
tow a 2011 Honda Odyssey
Old 07-30-2012, 09:35 PM   #8
Hugo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chester B. Stone, Jr. View Post
Gene, in response to your question, yes. I was driving a Country Coach and it was all I could do to control the rig. First, ran off to the right side of the highway, then to the left side of the highway before I could control it. I was lucky I did not roll it or hit by a semi. She simply would not have been strong enough to control the steering wheel. After this experience, I upgraded my Newell front tires to the 365s without even questioning the decision or cost.
That's some scary stuff. Glad to hear you were able to control your coach because the ending of that could have been bad and very sad. Great choice on upgrading the tires, when it comes to safety it's best not to mess around worrying about the cost.
Old 07-30-2012, 09:30 PM   #9
Hugo

Well guys, I think I almost had my wife talked into the idea of trying. But that didn't last long. haha. She says she won the debate after reading some of the posts of the women who choose not to drive and why. Gloria liked reading about the other wife's who do choose to drive and thinks its great they can handle the Newell. For now she said she'd rather I stick to being driver that her co-pilot seat has just as good of a view. lol I still have hopes she'll give it a try on a rural road.
Old 07-31-2012, 02:46 AM   #10
afrench45

Anyone can drive a Newell! They ride and drive like a dream. I had a blowout on my drive tire last week and had no problems getting it pulled over. I'm 20 now, and have been driving motorhomes since I turned 16. I Just have remember these coaches don't turn easy

-Andrew
afrench45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2012, 02:49 PM   #11
Chester B. Stone, Jr.

Tom, you should be thankful it was a drive tire and not a steer tire. It would be interesting to hear if anyone has blown a steer tire on a Newell at the higher speeds.
2001 Newell #579
tow a 2011 Honda Odyssey
Old 07-31-2012, 05:13 PM   #12
Ron Skeen

I blew the steer tire on my 96 running 75. Was not to bad to handle but sounded terrible. Destroyed the rim and broke the fender flare off. My coach has the straight axle and not independent suspension which may make a big different in handling.
1996 Newell 45' #422
2004 Newell 45'8" #689
60 Series Detriot
Yellow Dodge Truck
Ron Skeen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2012, 07:25 PM   #13
larryweikart

6 days after we purchased our Newell, due to unforseen circumstances that caused me to stay home, my wife drove our Newell, alone, with a 26ft. trailer in tow, thru downtown detroit and 350 miles into Canada. Of course she had some prior experience but said it was a better ride than our car. In my estimation, it is important for both partners to learn the basics of handling this type vehicle so that they have some prior experience in case of an emergency.
1994 Newell #365 w/Corvette, 2002 streetrod 34 ford golf cart, 2009 Smart Car, 1958 Century Coronado, 1965 Cruisers Inc, CAR & BOAT CRAZY! LOVE OUR NEWELL!
larryweikart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2012, 05:41 AM   #14
Hugo

Quote:
Originally Posted by larryweikart View Post
6 days after we purchased our Newell, due to unforseen circumstances that caused me to stay home, my wife drove our Newell, alone, with a 26ft. trailer in tow, thru downtown detroit and 350 miles into Canada. Of course she had some prior experience but said it was a better ride than our car. In my estimation, it is important for both partners to learn the basics of handling this type vehicle so that they have some prior experience in case of an emergency.
You are right every partner should know how to handle the coach in case of an emergency! My wife asks how your wife felt about having to drive the Newell after only having it for six days? And how did the trip go for her? And does she have any pointers or tips she might offer another woman that has never driven her Newell.
Old 08-05-2012, 09:56 PM   #15
larryweikart

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hugo View Post
You are right every partner should know how to handle the coach in case of an emergency! My wife asks how your wife felt about having to drive the Newell after only having it for six days? And how did the trip go for her? And does she have any pointers or tips she might offer another woman that has never driven her Newell.
I should have explained that my wife had previously driven a 37' motorhome all over Europe before that incident. This drive was in the late evening and she had no problems except having to execute a u-turn in downtown Detroit. She would tell any person, male or female, that driving a coach, once you get the feel, is just as easy, if not easier than a car, if you give yourself enough room between you an the vehicle in front of you and learn the braking curve of a large vehicle. Do not be overly concerned about whats behind you, they are watching you more intently then you can watch them. Just be aware of anyone passing you. You are sitting higher and your visibility is better than any vehicle you've driven before, so if you drive at a speed you feel comfortable with, you may find confidence can come quicker than you thought.
1994 Newell #365 w/Corvette, 2002 streetrod 34 ford golf cart, 2009 Smart Car, 1958 Century Coronado, 1965 Cruisers Inc, CAR & BOAT CRAZY! LOVE OUR NEWELL!
larryweikart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2012, 05:31 AM   #16
Hugo

Quote:
Originally Posted by afrench45 View Post
Anyone can drive a Newell! They ride and drive like a dream. I had a blowout on my drive tire last week and had no problems getting it pulled over. I'm 20 now, and have been driving motorhomes since I turned 16. I Just have remember these coaches don't turn easy

-Andrew
Now that's impressive Andrew! My wife said "wow! That's fantastic!" when I read her your post. I think I may get her to take the wheel when we head east to New York. I'll be sure to let everyone know if we make any progress.
Hugo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2012, 02:31 AM   #17
Randy J

We both drive our newell. I love my home on wheels.

Leeann

1991 Newell Coach
2011 Jeep Wrangler Sahara

"If I lose today, I can look forward to winning tomorrow, and if I win today, I can expect to lose tomorrow. A sure thing is no fun.”

"Sometimes I pretend to be Normal. But it gets boring. So I go back to being me." lol!
Randy J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2012, 02:05 PM   #18
tuga

I think that if a wife/girlfriend WANTS to learn to drive, she should be encourged. If not, trying to push her into it would be a mistake IMO.

Regarding blowouts, I have seen a Michelin video on tires blowing out. Michelin recommends that the correct response to a blowout is to ACCELERATE briefly then brake gently and pull over to the shoulder of the road and stop.

The reason for accelerating is: the coach has a tendency to shift to one side and accelerating forces it to continue in a straight line. When it is traveling in a staight line it can be controlled more easily.

I had a driver's side front blowout on I-25 in Santa Fe; I was doing 65 mph (my usual speed). I WAS ON CRUISE CONTROL.
When I heard the tire blow, my immediate response was to brake. The coach tracked straight and I pulled over to the shoulder. No damage to the rim, fender, or any insulation. I feel that driving slower mitigated my damage.

My point here is, it doesn't require any extra strength on the part of the driver if they understand what to do in case of a blow out (accelerate). Also, our Newells have power steering.

Learn to drive ladies, if you have a desire to do so. You can do it!
Coach #512
2005 Pilot
tuga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2012, 10:37 PM   #19
The Newell

I have to do all the driving since the DW is scared of the Newell But hey I drive and she cooks so its an even trade.

Home Base: Riverside, CA

If anyone needs my contact info private message me and I will send it to you.

-Joseph-
The Newell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2012, 12:11 AM   #20
NEWELLWIZARD

I fully agree, everyone should be able to drive the coach. The better half here will only drive on the freeway. She gets to nervous to drive in town or at least that is her excuse. I know for fact that if she had to drive in town she could. But she will never admit it, cause then she would have to share more of the driving.
NEWELLWIZARD is offline   Reply With Quote