Solenoid Valve Leaking - Luxury Coach Lifestyles
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-06-2012, 05:28 PM   #1
RussWhite

Default Solenoid Valve Leaking

The attached pictures show the location and the details on the valve that is leaking. I am guessing it is involved with the tag axle as Newell did not use a separate six valve manifold for that. The leak is through the unused port - exhuast port I suppose.

I have no real concerns for diving as the leak can be overcome by the engine compressor, but it needs addressed. Although the model says VX3114 and I am sure coil is 12vdc, the model numbers I am coming across on the net are much longer and I have not discovered how to decipher that yet.

Am I correct that any roadside repairs of the valve are unlikely? I will contact Newell Monday and see if they stock it.

Thanks,
Click image for larger version

Name:	LeakingSolenoid (1) (Large).jpg
Views:	111
Size:	91.6 KB
ID:	2362Click image for larger version

Name:	LeakingSolenoid (2) (Large).jpg
Views:	100
Size:	83.5 KB
ID:	2363

RussWhite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2012, 06:06 PM   #2
tuga

Russ,

Ask Newell if there are other solenoids like this one in other locations on the coach. If so, it might be a good idea to keep some spares in the parts bin.

It looks like it would be easy to change.

Coach #512
2005 Pilot
tuga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2012, 04:01 AM   #3
TheCarabiners

This is my first post here I think. I have been lurking and learning for a while. The solonoid you are referring to is the diff lock. Ours leaks too. Newell told me to mount my replacement upside down. The opening is up, allowing dirt and such to fall in and cause problems. i simply plugged the exhaust port and had no problems. When the Diff Lock on your dash is on, the port will need to exhaust, but otherwise no problem with plugging it.
TheCarabiners is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2012, 05:29 AM   #4
RussWhite

And that is why I love this forum! Sorry I don't know your first name, but a big welcome to the forum and a super job on your first post!

I had tried all the buttons on the HWH and then the tag axle raise and lower, and none of them activated the solenoid that was leaking. I was really scratching my head about what its function could be. I have got to admit, I never thought of the differential lock. I owe you big time. I can now plug the exhaust port and have no worries until I am back and have the time and palce to install a new one and orient it the other way. Again - a big Thank You!!! Russ
Old 07-07-2012, 10:40 AM   #5
Richard and Rhonda

Super job to Carabiner !!!!!

I was thinking, with the little I know about the leveling six packs, that this was a variation that I had not seen.

Diff lock makes perfect sense

Thank you, and welcome to the gang.
CoMotion Tandem
Often wrong, but seldom in doubt
Rhonda's chronicle https://wersquared.wordpress.com/
Richard and Rhonda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2012, 01:21 PM   #6
TheCarabiners

Just be sure to unplug it when/if you use the Diff Lock. At least you should not have snow and ice issues for a while!!
I guess after lurking, learning, and repairing....it is time to jump in.
By the way, my name is Steve. We use TheCarabiners because we are rock climbers.
Old 07-07-2012, 02:56 PM   #7
tuga

Does anyone have any idea WHY Newell suggests mounting it with the exhaust port UP?

If we put a plug in the exhaust port; what happens if the DIFF LOCK is turned on accidentally (like from the next owner of the coach)?

It seems the simplier solution would be to just mount the solenoid exhaust port down!

Am I missing something here?
Coach #512
2005 Pilot
tuga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2012, 03:20 PM   #8
RussWhite

Tuga,

I think Steve only mentioned plugging as a temporary solution. I will unplug and replace with a new solenoid mounted exhaust port down when I am back home.
Old 07-07-2012, 05:29 PM   #9
rheavn

Russ,
Two questions come to mind. Is there any way that the Diff Lock switch has gotten placed in the "on" position? Since the solenoid allows the air to exhaust when engaged, is it possible that the solenoid has failed in the open position which means that your diff lock is engaged?
Old 07-08-2012, 12:30 AM   #10
TheCarabiners

Yes, when you install the new one, put it upside down. That way debris will not get in as easily. What I did was flip the switch on...Then off...then plug it. It leaks with the Diff Lock NOT on. When you can, replace it. Hey, it's always something!!
Old 07-08-2012, 05:14 PM   #11
rheavn

I remounted my solenoid a little different than Newell advised, but I feel I accomplished the goal of keeping dirt from falling into the exhaust port. I chose this method because I didn't have to lengthen the air lines and could keep the same mounting holes. I manufactured a bracket that utilized the existing holes and turned the solenoid 90 degrees. That put the exhaust port facing to the rear of the coach and made it easy to clean out with compressed air.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IM005315.jpg
Views:	89
Size:	93.5 KB
ID:	2374  
Old 07-08-2012, 10:39 PM   #12
RussWhite

Well I can confirm that the solenoid in question is for the differential lock :-) And how, you ask? I plugged it and when I took the first turn in the gravel of the campgroud there was this big pop as the axle wound up and tire slipped on the gravel. So, at least for me, plugging it is not a good solution. The switch is definitely in the normal unlocked position, and fortunately when I removed the plug the axle was no longer locked. I will just have to wait until I am back home to test and determine how this all really works. I need to determine when the solenoid is energized ( when locked I would guess ), and how the ports are switched. Again I would guess that the two air lines are connected together when the solneoid is energized, and one is open to atmospere when the solenoid is not energized. Putting in the plug must have had the result of letting the leaking air into the line that should have been exhausted. Live and lock and learn..... R
Old 07-09-2012, 03:11 AM   #13
TheCarabiners

Hope all is well with you. I will tell you that Newell told me that I should operate the switch and see when it is engaged and not. When you plug it \, that is where it stays. Air should not exhaust untill the switch is changed. We cycled it 2 full rounds and plugged it when not engaged. This fixed the air leak for 2000+ miles. The awesome part is these solonoids don't cost too much to replace. With a Newell, that is nice.
Best to you.
Old 07-15-2012, 08:51 PM   #14
Chester B. Stone, Jr.

Today, this valve started leaking continuously, with engine running or shut down. The red dash switch is off. The engine compressor should handle this small leak, but I am concerned about excess running of the 120v compressor which runs while parked. I am new to this this Newell and would like to know it this leak is of concern, or should I replace it while on a 3 month trip. Thanks
Chester B. Stone, Jr. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2012, 09:40 PM   #15
RussWhite

I ordered a new one from Newell about a week ago for a cost of right at $50 not including tax and shipping. My leak is slow enough I decided to not change it while on my 3 month trip, but wait until I am back home. I was not successful when I plugged the exhaut port as that caused the differential to lock. I think in your situation I would have the valve sent to a campground on the trip and do the change as soon as possible to reduce excessive cycling on the auxiliary pump. R
Old 07-15-2012, 10:51 PM   #16
rheavn

Chester,
I agree with Russ that replacement is in order. I'm not sure if these solenoids are failing for electrical reasons or physically getting stuck. I would try a couple of things that may buy you some time before replacement. I would blow out the exhaust port very well. I would cycle the switch a few times. Then I would support the valve & strike it sharply with a rubber hammer. If its failure is due to dirt it may dislodge it. For me it is worth a try.
Old 07-15-2012, 11:01 PM   #17
lbrachfe

Just checked mine and it is upside down, so someone knew to do it years ago before I bought it. Thanks Steve for I might have turned it right side up if I noticed it upside down.

lbrachfe is offline   Reply With Quote