Parking & Sleeping in rest areas ?? - Luxury Coach Lifestyles
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-08-2012, 07:06 PM   #1
Gary&Terry

Default Parking & Sleeping in rest areas ??

Is it legal?? Just curious. I know truckers can but I'm thinking we may be an exception. Why I ask is because when we plan our trip we may want to do it in two stages.

Terry

Gary & Terry Morgan

Any RVing action is good action!

Deerfield Beach,FL
Gary&Terry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2012, 07:25 PM   #2
tuga

Depending on which state you are in, I would think that it is legal. As a matter of fact, in Florida most of the rest areas have security guards. We have slept in a number of rest areas (my wife doesn't like them) with no hassle from anyone.

Coach #512
2005 Pilot
tuga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2012, 07:36 PM   #3
Thomas Lago

We have never had any trouble unless it is where the trucks takeover and you won't even find a spot. Mainly in the northeastern part of the US. Florida, Louisiana, Texas, Colorado were pretty good and not as crowded during our stops.
Thomas Lago is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2012, 07:37 PM   #4
lbrachfe

Had a hub cap stolen in one, but that was my only bad experience. Some States prohibit sleeping in them and some encourage it. It will tell you this on signage at every rest area around the country
lbrachfe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2012, 08:55 PM   #5
NewellCrazy

In my experience it varies by state. Some let you stay up to 8 hours, others 6, even saw one that restricted it to 2 hours. If they have limits it will say so on the signs posted around the parking areas.

If Ain't a Newell, It Ain't Wurt Oonin!
NewellCrazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2012, 09:00 PM   #6
GringoPhil

we it do all the time some states have specials locations at the rest area for RVs. I have been told more than once that the limit signs were placed to keep folks from setting up camp.We have never even had a problem in the rest areas spending the night your tax dollars, help build them and they are for tired and weary travers
Old 09-09-2012, 06:11 PM   #7
Gimpy

I have always parked in rest areas for an overnight stay at least once on every trip.

never had a problem. I usually park at the last spot and leave the ones closer to the rest area to the working folks(truckers)

Good for them and I get less in and out traffic while I am resting.

Franco Filipovic

2001 Newell Coach

Detroit Series 60 HP 500

Allison 6 Speed HD4060
[TABLE="width: 260, align: center"]
[TR]
[TD][/TD]
[TD][/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD][/TD]
[TD][/TD]
[/TR]
[/TABLE]
Gimpy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2012, 06:13 PM   #8
The Newell

If the truckers will sleep there, then it'll be good for a Neweller. Illuminated of course, Not those dark little scenic look outs, or the ones with no toilet.

No tip outs, or camping. Park, sleep, drive away, and you'll be fine. Stay out of the way of the trucks. Park centered in the spots, squared up and neat, don't block the spot next to you with sloppy parking, don't get dragged with a trailer. Seen too many rvers park too far forward, inviting a rub by a 53 footer.

happy coaching!

Joseph

Home Base: Riverside, CA

If anyone needs my contact info private message me and I will send it to you.

-Joseph-
The Newell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2012, 10:48 PM   #9
tuga

Joseph makes a very good point, if you have slides keep them in. Be considerate of others using the parking lanes. There's nothing worst than pulling into a crowded rest area late at night and finding 2 or 3 vehicles that are occuping 2 parking lanes each!
Coach #512
2005 Pilot
tuga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2012, 11:38 PM   #10
Jack Fouts

We have never had any problems parking for extended hours at a rest area except once we heard a bang on the door and when I opened it there stood a highway

patrol officer. I asked if I could help him and he asked me how long I'd been staying there? My answer was a quick resounding "couple hours officer", he rambled on

and stated that was all the time allowed asking if I seen the sign as I entered the rest area stating 2 hr limit and no overnight parking, which I answered No, he then

said it was time to mossie on down the highway. I didn't argue got dressed and headed out.

After looking at my watch I realized we must had slept for about 7 hrs and I actually thought it had only been a couple. ha ha.. Well we got the deserved and needed

rest and didn't get a ticket. Do I hear an Amen?

When there is a need, lend a helping hand!
Jack Fouts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 12:46 AM   #11
NEWELLWIZARD

Never had a problem pulling into a rest stop, we have stayed at truck stops and had more problems there because of the noise and traffic of people. Plus, it always seems at truck stops you get hit up by fellows trying to sell something! If you stop in at some of the nicer rest stops you will find plenty of space to park and it's quite. Which is nice to get some rest for a few hours but like others said just look for signs. Some I've been to don't even have signs stating any rules or laws about if you can park or with a time limit. Those you can probably safely assume are fine to pull in and park at until morning.

NEWELLWIZARD is offline   Reply With Quote