Swapping Engine - Luxury Coach Lifestyles
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-03-2006, 06:55 AM   #1
The Newell

Default Swapping Engine

I am wanting to swap out my cummins v555 engine, What would other Newell owners recommend for the engine swap? I have been told to swap it with a Cat engine/Detroit Diesel of course and or a 5.9LTR cummins diesel. Which engine would you go with and why? Thank You all for your help on this,

Joseph

Home Base: Riverside, CA

If anyone needs my contact info private message me and I will send it to you.

-Joseph-
The Newell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2006, 12:03 AM   #2
77neweller

My 77 coach had this done by the previous owner and I had some email contact with another owner that made the switch to the 6V92. It requires modification to the engine cover that requires raising the beds, mine has twins. It's not something that is cheap to do if you hire it done since the whole engine needs to be rewired in addition to the structural changes. But, I will say it is now a rocket ship coming down the entrance ramps on expressways in addition to climbing the mountains real nice.

I've thought about a newer engines just for kicks but I'm not sure there is enough length to fit in an inline 6 cylinder unless you are going to install a side radiator which is more complication, not impossible but not a simple thing either.

With the 6V92T in there I get about 9.5 mpg and that oh so cool two-stroke sound.

77neweller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2006, 01:34 AM   #3
HoosierDaddy

Another concern with an inline 6cylinder is the final drive gear ratio. I'm thinking you may be turning a higher engine RPM than is ideal for an inline 6. What do you need? Will 300 hp do the job? I'd look at a later model 7.3 Power stroke or Duramax. What's wrong with the 555?
1993 Newell 45'#316, 1976 Trans Am 455, 1967 GTO, 1953 Chevrolet 3105 (panel truck),1952 Chevrolet 3600,1969 Airstream Overlander. Always fixing something!
HoosierDaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2006, 05:49 PM   #4
The Newell

I like the engine but she does not have enough horse power for mountain driving and that concerns me.

Joseph

Home Base: Riverside, CA

If anyone needs my contact info private message me and I will send it to you.

-Joseph-
The Newell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2006, 06:03 PM   #5
JohnC

Generally speaking, engine swap outs are difficult, time consuming, and not very cost effective in motor coaches.

That said, if time and money were no object, the Cat C-12 would probably be the ultimate, with the DD 6V92 and the International 7.2(Ford) probably being the most cost effective.
JohnC is offline   Reply With Quote